U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2013, 11:22 AM

1,934 posts, read 3,185,862 times

Advertisements

Directly related to what was previously discussed.

In Hiring, a Friend in Need Is a Prospect, Indeed - Yahoo! Finance

Old 01-29-2013, 05:49 PM

11,040 posts, read 13,457,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetto View Post
It's a good system to motivate you to recommend quality people that you can vouch for. Works for me
Every company I have ever worked for has had at least 6,000 employees and the vast majority of new hires were hired through recruitment agencies or direct applications; not through simply "knowing" someone. Sure, they had incentive and referral programs, but those were rarely actually used. For example, when I worked for Delotte (a major company with over 120,000 employees), the vast majority of their workforce was obtained through recruitment agencies or direct applications. A company of that massive size simply cannot sustain its business and hope for its own employees to find other employees. Sure, it happens often, after interacting with clients, etc, but it's the exception to the rule. Besides, I would feel stupid, and possibly insulted if I was hired somewhere simply because someone there knew who I was. Personally, I would like to be hired because I have an impressive background with excellent qualifications. Anyway, that's at least how it works most of the time in the accounting profession. Like 80% of the time. And all of my accounting friends, as well as myself have always gotten their jobs through direct application or recruitment; not networking. That's the god honest truth.

Old 01-29-2013, 07:07 PM

8,780 posts, read 16,308,370 times
Ignore the haters, nep. You'll do fine.

Old 01-29-2013, 09:54 PM

4,787 posts, read 8,819,091 times
Since I've been one those getting on your case about making a decision, I'm glad you picked a city. Good luck with your move.

Look only at the good things now. Climate more to your liking, possibility of owning a home not too far down the road ( look in SC- lower taxes than NC ), new friends, maybe a job where you feel more comfortable. Pay no attention to all this " damned if you and damned if you don't" stuff going on.

Focus now on moving and less on all of our ramblings on internet boards. Stay positive

Old 01-29-2013, 09:55 PM

14,828 posts, read 18,083,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willow wind View Post
Since I've been one those getting on your case about making a decision, I'm glad you picked a city. Good luck with your move.

Look only at the good things now. Climate more to your liking, possibility of owning a home not too far down the road ( look in SC- lower taxes than NC ), new friends, maybe a job where you feel more comfortable. Pay no attention to all this " damned if you and damned if you don't" stuff going on.

Focus now on moving and less on all of our ramblings on internet boards. Stay positive
Good advice.

Old 01-29-2013, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willow wind View Post

Lol thanks. Yeah, I'm going to give it an honest trial in February, renting in this guy's house. If it's that bad of a place (Charlotte metro), I could always leave later on. I won't be tied to a lease.

Old 01-30-2013, 05:26 AM

15,806 posts, read 22,108,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Lol thanks. Yeah, I'm going to give it an honest trial in February, renting in this guy's house. If it's that bad of a place (Charlotte metro), I could always leave later on. I won't be tied to a lease.
Charlotte is not that bad of a place - I know people who moved there and love it. You will just have to learn to adapt to their way of life, and leave your bias behind.

Old 01-30-2013, 07:32 AM

8,950 posts, read 9,858,787 times
Good luck, Nep! It's hot down there-- so remember: Perspire, don't sweat

Old 01-30-2013, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Good luck, Nep! It's hot down there-- so remember: Perspire, don't sweat
Yeah I almost decided to go to Orlando instead, but ultimately decided against it. I couldn't imagine having 100% warm weather all year round, even though I prefer heat. And it seemed too touristy. Also, the crime rate in Charlotte is not nearly as high as Orlando. And there are actually mountains nearby so that I can go for a hike. Also, much of the gay community in Orlando seems to be uneducated Disney boys who mainly care more about partying, tanning and smoking pot. Charlotte seemed more practical and business minded to me.

Old 01-30-2013, 08:40 AM

24,754 posts, read 40,368,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
nep - go get them. Wishing you the best on your move. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut