U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-30-2013, 07:50 AM
 
Location: Coastal Connecticut
14,732 posts, read 17,965,128 times
Reputation: 3334

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Yeah I almost decided to go to Orlando instead, but ultimately decided against it. I couldn't imagine having 100% warm weather all year round, even though I prefer heat. And it seemed too touristy. Also, the crime rate in Charlotte is not nearly as high as Orlando. And there are actually mountains nearby so that I can go for a hike. Also, much of the gay community in Orlando seems to be uneducated Disney boys who mainly care more about partying, tanning and smoking pot. Charlotte seemed more practical and business minded to me.
I like parts of Florida, but I think you made the right choice avoiding Orlando.

 
Old 01-30-2013, 05:20 PM
 
260 posts, read 327,179 times
Reputation: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
That's baloney. I know people who have gotten jobs there that aren't from there or didn't know anyone else in the area. Charlotte is a very transient city. Connecticut is not transient at all. It's very provincial and mostly comprised of people who have lived here for generations. Just look at the statistics. In the year 2013, the mentality of hiring someone "who" you know over someone based on "what" they know is being increasingly minimized. For example, in my profession (Accounting), virtually everyone in the department that I left two months ago was hired through a recruitment agency. Big modern day corporations like to do it this way. However, I could see your point if you are talking about small businesses or exclusively local businesses. Major corporations are headquartered in Charlotte, such as Bank of America, Chiquita and Duke Energy, the largest utility in the U.S. With thousands of employees necessary to operate the business in a going concern manner, they do not have time to hire people based on who knows who, in most cases. They want qualified people at the end of the day, such as me.
Hopefully, you're right. I can just tell you how it is in Atlanta. Big corporations here "use" contractors or they might hire consulting companies to essentially work as "employees" - in their strategy departments, for example. It is very challenging finding employment in Atlanta, all you have to do is look through the Atlanta boards and you will see what I mention everywhere. I also see the same phenomenon on LinkedIn where I'm active in Atlanta job seeker groups.

I am from New Britain and left Hartford in 2000. I have a good sense of both areas. In Atlanta, it is definitely all about who you know. I went to B-school here and I know this based on personal experience but also based on speaking to many executive recruiters, etc. In fact, the NYT just a few days ago had an article regarding how large companies are using employee referrals to fill spot.

Best of luck in Charlotte.
 
Old 01-30-2013, 06:42 PM
 
338 posts, read 450,536 times
Reputation: 661
Hey Nep, you mentioned you drove 10,000 miles during your 4 month trip. Did you drive through Denver at all? If so, I'm curious what your thoughts are on the city. I actually think you might like it.
 
Old 01-30-2013, 08:34 PM
 
Location: Jacksonville, FL
11,038 posts, read 13,386,325 times
Reputation: 6755
Quote:
Originally Posted by UconnHusky1 View Post
Hey Nep, you mentioned you drove 10,000 miles during your 4 month trip. Did you drive through Denver at all? If so, I'm curious what your thoughts are on the city. I actually think you might like it.
My trip was only 6-weeks, not 4 months. I was not really that impressed with Denver. It's quite brown looking and the people are either hippie/liberal or cowboyish. Nice scenery though on the Rocky Mountains.
 
Old 01-31-2013, 09:44 AM
 
Location: Coastal Northeast
15,743 posts, read 22,011,066 times
Reputation: 5279
So, when are you moving?
 
Old 01-31-2013, 12:21 PM
 
Location: Western NC
119 posts, read 124,445 times
Reputation: 93
I have not read all the replies, but I live in NC. I am in Asheville, from CT. My son is gay and my boyfriends uncle is gay. My son hates it here in NC because of the people and when he was in school he had strangers telling him they were going to pray for him because we are not christians and he is gay. My BF's uncle wants to move out of NC because there is not much here and he does not like the life style here, including the gay. He goes to Charlotte to club, because there is nothing really here in AVL, but he has said how he is tired of the gay guys in NC because they are too needy and are two-faced.

I hate to say, but you would be moving to the bible belt and yes they are very big on religion. I am straight and I have gotten the "So what church do you go to" thing a lot. My neighbor will not let her daughter come to a sleep over with my daughter BECAUSE my son is gay and my BF and I are not married and have a baby together. She has even come out to me recentaly and said that she does not understand how a child can grow up normal when living with a gay person in their home.

Pay rate here is $7.25 to start. Jobs are not that plentiful and cost of living is not better. We do pay a tax on food here and our rent is $1050 for a 2 bed/2 ba house dump. We had pumbing fixed last year and it flooded again. Granted I am not in Charlotte, but from what my BF's uncle has said HE would not even live there.

Anyways, just thought I would give my 2cents. I moved from CT thinking the south would be better, cheaper and I reget ever moving here. I have been trying to get back to CT for about 14 yrs. now. Oh and yeah the guy who talked about his brother who moved to NC and feels like people are talking about him behind his back, yeah he's right for feeling that way. Southerner don't care for Northerners who move here and stay. For one they don't like people who speak their minds and don't talk behind backs. JMO, oh and what I have been told by natives here.
 
Old 01-31-2013, 01:00 PM
 
Location: Jacksonville, FL
11,038 posts, read 13,386,325 times
Reputation: 6755
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
So, when are you moving?
Well, I am supposed to start driving down tomorrow. But now I am having second thoughts. I am reconsidering moving back to NYC. Although, I know if I do that, I will never be able to own property in my life, due to the ultra extreme cost of living. I've also been reconsidering Boston.
 
Old 01-31-2013, 01:43 PM
PDF
 
11,386 posts, read 9,867,715 times
Reputation: 6580
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Well, I am supposed to start driving down tomorrow. But now I am having second thoughts. I am reconsidering moving back to NYC. Although, I know if I do that, I will never be able to own property in my life, due to the ultra extreme cost of living. I've also been reconsidering Boston.
Why move somewhere you know you will be unhappy? I would take the advice the people in the Charlotte forum are giving you.

Can you ever be content with living in a city that has one flaw among many great things?
 
Old 01-31-2013, 02:13 PM
 
Location: Connecticut
1,044 posts, read 1,292,554 times
Reputation: 1123
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Well, I am supposed to start driving down tomorrow. But now I am having second thoughts. I am reconsidering moving back to NYC. Although, I know if I do that, I will never be able to own property in my life, due to the ultra extreme cost of living. I've also been reconsidering Boston.
Seriously? Stop complaining about Connecticut then. You obviously like it so much that you don't want to move anywhere else because all you do is fantasize about moving then stay here.
 
Old 01-31-2013, 02:25 PM
 
338 posts, read 450,536 times
Reputation: 661
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Well, I am supposed to start driving down tomorrow. But now I am having second thoughts. I am reconsidering moving back to NYC. Although, I know if I do that, I will never be able to own property in my life, due to the ultra extreme cost of living. I've also been reconsidering Boston.
ok, so you are now officially trolling.

You have at least a dozen threads stating that you are dead set on moving "next week" or "next few days".

You will not be getting anymore suggestions or help from me. You are 28 years old? Are you sure you are not 18?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top