U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2013, 04:01 PM

15,743 posts, read 22,020,076 times

Advertisements

...and people wonder why I rarely respond to this dude's threads.

Old 01-31-2013, 04:57 PM

8,780 posts, read 16,261,398 times
Let's get this train back on track...........

Nep, everybody will have gripes about everywhere, that's a given.

Before you back out of the move to Charlotte, take a look at some of the posts from the people that are downing the place. I'm sure you'll notice that "their" M.O. is that they just b*tch and moan about any little thing......

In closing, i say this to you nep:

Ray Charles - Hit The Road Jack (Original) - YouTube

Enjoy Charlotte and good luck!

Old 01-31-2013, 05:26 PM

4,787 posts, read 8,771,215 times
So after several weeks on the road, umpteen miles on your car, you've come to the conclusion that there is absolutely no place in this entire country to where you could relocate. And given all those options you've decided that the best place to be is to sit home with mom and dad.

Neither densely urban Boston/ NYC, with uber expensive housing and several months of cold/ cooler weather is going to give you anything you want in life. It's some of the three major things you didn't want. What is going on with your thinking ? Don't start with the number of gays. There are gay people everywhere. You don't need 50,000 gay guys- you want a relationship- you just need one and he's not likely to be found in bar.

No place is perfect, everyone is telling you that. Get in the car and go to Charlotte- good luck

Old 01-31-2013, 05:36 PM

11,038 posts, read 13,393,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willow wind View Post
So after several weeks on the road, umpteen miles on your car, you've come to the conclusion that there is absolutely no place in this entire country to where you could relocate. And given all those options you've decided that the best place to be is to sit home with mom and dad.

Neither densely urban Boston/ NYC, with uber expensive housing and several months of cold/ cooler weather is going to give you anything you want in life. It's some of the three major things you didn't want. What is going on with your thinking ? Don't start with the number of gays. There are gay people everywhere. You don't need 50,000 gay guys- you want a relationship- you just need one and he's not likely to be found in bar.

No place is perfect, everyone is telling you that. Get in the car and go to Charlotte- good luck
There is no perfect place, even in this entire country with all of its options. But for some reason, I can't think of a better option than Charlotte, although I have two concerns about it. (1) Will I be able to adjust to the more southern culture? (2) Will the gay population be sufficient and quality enough compared to greater Hartford?

If the answer to those two questions is yes, then I think it will be the perfect place lol. I think I'm gonna try it for a month. If it's that bad, then I'll probably just head down to southeast FL and settle there, because it has a huge gay population and no southern culture. But then there's more problems there...such as extreme overdevelopment and never ending heat & humidity

Old 01-31-2013, 05:47 PM

1,930 posts, read 3,176,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Well, I am supposed to start driving down tomorrow. But now I am having second thoughts. I am reconsidering moving back to NYC. Although, I know if I do that, I will never be able to own property in my life, due to the ultra extreme cost of living. I've also been reconsidering Boston.
I think you would benefit from living in each major city of each state for a month at a time; then you will have enough first hand knowledge to make your choice. I can see you're torn, why not try it?

Old 01-31-2013, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetto View Post
I think you would benefit from living in each major city of each state for a month at a time; then you will have enough first hand knowledge to make your choice. I can see you're torn, why not try it?
LOL. Let's see...with about 50 major cities in the country, that will take about 4 years!

Well, my parents gave me $300 to assist me on my trip, even though I already have a good chunk of money in the bank.

Old 01-31-2013, 08:54 PM

8,835 posts, read 14,253,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
My trip was only 6-weeks, not 4 months. I was not really that impressed with Denver. It's quite brown looking and the people are either hippie/liberal or cowboyish. Nice scenery though on the Rocky Mountains.
I've long given up on this "schizophrenic" forum, but if it helps any, a good friend of mine from college who is gay moved to the Denver area (from Boston, he's originally from Oklahoma and also lived in St. Louis for awhile, he hated it there) and he thrives there.

Old 01-31-2013, 09:53 PM

3,720 posts, read 4,443,873 times
nep321, you already know you hate it here so ignore everyone who came into this thread to create doubt in your choice and just move to North Carolina. I swear, as soon as the posters started piling on with the negative comments about NC or your living arrangements, I knew it would create second thoughts.

Old 01-31-2013, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trishguard View Post
nep321, you already know you hate it here so ignore everyone who came into this thread to create doubt in your choice and just move to North Carolina. I swear, as soon as the posters started piling on with the negative comments about NC or your living arrangements, I knew it would create second thoughts.
Well, I'm all packed up and leaving tomorrow morning. If I don't like Charlotte, I will simply leave and probably just head on down to southeast FL. I ruled out southeast FL in favor of Charlotte, because I didn't want constant heat & humidity 24/7, overdevelopment with no natural space, tons of traffic, high cost of living and one of the worst job markets in the nation. And Charlotte is a shorter plane flight to CT. So we'll see. I really don't have a better option at this point that I can think of, and need to move on with life.

Old 01-31-2013, 11:44 PM

4,787 posts, read 8,771,215 times
Good bye

The last couple pages on the Charlotte board have been filled with people being welcoming and kind to you. Some have offered to help you through your adjustment. Give it a year, not a month. A month tells you nothing. It's a big metro area covering two states. It's going to take some time to explore it and see just where you might fit in best. Besides, it takes a year in a new place to feel at home. A month won't do it.

You have a place to stay and thus an address for a potential employer to see that you're resident. That helps. You've got lists of places that can be possible employers. You'll do fine, you really will, just give it time. This is a good move for you.

Safe journey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut