U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-04-2013, 06:31 PM

538 posts, read 1,620,620 times

Advertisements

I'm just wondering, why wouldn't you just move to San Francisco and be done with it? Huge Gay community, loads of nightlife and bar scene. Nice weather and an all around beautiful city. It seems like it would be a perfect place for you.

Old 02-04-2013, 10:13 PM

3,720 posts, read 4,451,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I'm definitely near the end of this search lol. Like I said, if I don't stay in Charlotte, I'll probably go to Providence.
I thought you hated the weather in the Northeast

Old 02-04-2013, 11:17 PM

11,040 posts, read 13,434,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oc2nyc View Post
I'm just wondering, why wouldn't you just move to San Francisco and be done with it? Huge Gay community, loads of nightlife and bar scene. Nice weather and an all around beautiful city. It seems like it would be a perfect place for you.
San Francisco would be a terrible place for me. It's way too far from family in CT. It rarely ever gets warm...it's chilly all the time. It's WAY too expensive. It's very fast paced. It's very pretentious. California people are weird....the list goes on....

And I'm not looking for a huge gay community. Just a sufficient one.

Old 02-04-2013, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trishguard View Post
I thought you hated the weather in the Northeast
Well, I do like the variety of weather up there. Besides, I'm not basing my living decision entirely on climate/weather.

Old 02-04-2013, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Well, I do like the variety of weather up there. Besides, I'm not basing my living decision entirely on climate/weather.
Maybe you'll meet someone in NC who wants to move with you to RI, if that's where you think you'll end up. I'm glad your roommate situation is working out for you.

Old 02-05-2013, 07:03 AM

16,241 posts, read 25,523,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicago_bound View Post
Glad to hear that you are enjoying Charlotte. It sounds like it has most of what you are looking for. Although I don't really think 1 month is enough time to decide if a place is a good permanent match for you or not. I would say at least 6 months to a year. I am a CT native, also gay, currently living in Atlanta and am doing the opposite move soon (my screen name is very old and I never made it to Chicago but too lazy to change the name lol). I will be returning to CT or Boston and really looking forward to going back home. Don't get me wrong, Atlanta is not a bad place and I have made some wonderful friends here. My decision to move back is for a few reasons: First is work related and second is I just miss the New England area in general. It will always be home to me. Sure it is not perfect and there are things that will bother me and annoy me in the area just like any place, however since I am from there I am not going with rose colored glasses on, and it really took me leaving the area to really appreciatre what it has to offer. I miss being driving distance to Boston, NYC, Providence, Maine, NH, the Cape etc etc. I've been in Atlanta almost 3 years now and culturally it just doesn't seem like the right fit for me. As I mentioned there are many pros about living here, overall its just not the right place for me to set down roots long term.

I say all of this to say to you just enjoy your time there in Charlotte. Nothing has to be permanent. Rather than focusing on the next place you may move to if this place doesn't work out, just relax and enjoy everything Charlotte has to offer. Please keep up posted as I have enjoyed reading your posts. Good luck nep!
Quote:
I never was a fan of Atlanta myself. I prefer Charlotte. But I agree with you that the nice thing about New England was that there are many places accessible within driving distance. It's funny though, because when I actually live there, I mostly stay in Hartford county anyway. But mentally, it's nice to know that those places are nearby.
Am I the only one who had a vision of these two getting together and living happily ever?

Old 02-09-2013, 05:50 PM

18,677 posts, read 16,489,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UconnHusky1 View Post
So what is the over/under before the Nep parents welcome their 28 year old son back? 10 days? 20 days?
Post Nemo, much higher. OP thought last winter was too much to bear.

Old 02-09-2013, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Post Nemo, much higher. OP thought last winter was too much to bear.
I'm still in Charlotte. I am meeting with a recruiter this week to discuss job opportunities with a Fortune 500 company headquartered in Charlotte. The opportunities actually sound exciting to me.

With that said, I'm not 100% certain I plan to stay here. I like Charlotte and the surrounding suburbs are very nice indeed. The quality of life is pretty high in this metro area, and as you all know, I'm very critical of places in general. The people are nice and I'm satisfied enough with the gay community here.

However, if I do leave, I think I would like to return to the BosWash Corridor. But not DC, Baltimore, Philly, NYC, Hartford, Providence or Boston. I'm thinking maybe lower Fairfield or New Haven counties might provide a happy medium for me. But I don't know how the hell I would be able to live there with no job. I mean, I could stay with parents up in Granby and be miserable, temporarily, but I'm not sure if employers down there would be willing to interview me. My main problem with Charlotte is that it's a bit isolated. I mean, there are other cities like Asheville, Greensboro, Greenville, Spartanburg, Atlanta, etc. that are all drivable, but it just isn't the same as BosWash. Plus, I could be easily drivable to family if I did that, and have a slightly larger gay community than Hartford, too.

Sigh...I don't know, but I have to know within a couple weeks, because I'm renting from this guy on month-to-month.

Old 02-10-2013, 07:54 AM

Quote:
I'm still in Charlotte. I am meeting with a recruiter this week to discuss job opportunities with a Fortune 500 company headquartered in Charlotte. The opportunities actually sound exciting to me.

With that said, I'm not 100% certain I plan to stay here. I like Charlotte and the surrounding suburbs are very nice indeed. The quality of life is pretty high in this metro area, and as you all know, I'm very critical of places in general. The people are nice and I'm satisfied enough with the gay community here.

However, if I do leave, I think I would like to return to the BosWash Corridor. But not DC, Baltimore, Philly, NYC, Hartford, Providence or Boston. I'm thinking maybe lower Fairfield or New Haven counties might provide a happy medium for me. But I don't know how the hell I would be able to live there with no job. I mean, I could stay with parents up in Granby and be miserable, temporarily, but I'm not sure if employers down there would be willing to interview me. My main problem with Charlotte is that it's a bit isolated. I mean, there are other cities like Asheville, Greensboro, Greenville, Spartanburg, Atlanta, etc. that are all drivable, but it just isn't the same as BosWash. Plus, I could be easily drivable to family if I did that, and have a slightly larger gay community than Hartford, too.

Sigh...I don't know, but I have to know within a couple weeks, because I'm renting from this guy on month-to-month.
Welcome to the south. I have family in S.C. and do visit every now and again. The idea of actually living there has tempted me due to the lower cost of living. But when I really think about living there? I have to say thanks but no thanks. I just don't like the idea of having to drive more than an hour to get anywhere like the beach or the mall. I'm spoiled from living in Norwalk where you can be in another town in less than 15 minutes and at the mall in less than 20. Maybe you will feel differently about Charlotte if you stay through the summer.

Old 02-10-2013, 08:23 AM

16,241 posts, read 25,523,325 times
Quote:
Nep, give it more time. It takes time -- more time than you've given -- to acclimate yourself to a new place. If you keep going from place to place, staying just a month, you'll never find your home. Stay a bit longer -- you'll see more of the bad, but you'll also see more of the good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut