U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2013, 03:23 PM

8,780 posts, read 16,240,408 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post

My decision will be made within a day or two. What do you guys think?

Quote:
I am in a very unique situation right now and need to make a decision by tonight. I need to decide whether to settle down in the Tampa/St. Petersburg, FL area or the Rochester, NY area. I'm 100% certain I want one of THESE two areas.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/newre...ply&p=27762960

Uh huh......

Old 01-26-2013, 03:41 PM

8,950 posts, read 9,810,600 times
I like Charlotte. Nice city. Good shopping. Nice folks. I thought the food sucked. Good airport-- You can get almost anywhere. There's some sports. It's inexpensive.

Why not?

Old 01-26-2013, 03:48 PM

97 posts, read 117,032 times
Quote:
So, I have spent the last 6 weeks traveling the entire U.S., since I quit my job in Nov and I have NO regrets! What an unfathomably amazing, amazing country. With that said, one of the purposes of the trip was to visit various places to see if I may want to live there. I put 10,000 miles on my car and spent over $4,000 on this trip. It was totally worth it though.

Anyway, to cut to the chase, I have thought long and carefully about where to live. Right now I'm staying at my parents' house in Granby, and I can't say I'm thrilled or appreciative to be back home in north central CT. It's lame, lame, lame for single gay men who are 28 years old. On the flip side, it's phenomenal for families and married couples. I lost all motivation and desire to stay here any longer. It's gotten to the point where I keep deleting e-mails from recruiters with jobs in the Hartford area.

So, I have my choices narrowed down to two places. I will either make a small move down to the New Haven area, or make a bigger move down to the Charlotte, NC area. Based on my research, New Haven county has about 50% more gay men that meet my criteria than Hartford County. Cost of living is about the same, as well as job opportunities. And I would be a 1-hour drive from family. It's also better for singles and gays.

Charlotte, on the other hand, would only be a 2 hr flight to Bradley, and the job opportunities there are exciting for a young professional. There are many more young people in Charlotte than New Haven and it's more transient, and half of the population there are transplants from other regions of the country. NY and NJ plates can be seen EVERYWHERE over there. I appreciate the mix of northern and southern culture. Makes things interesting. And, the gay population in Charlotte is about three times that of greater New Haven. Not to mention, the cost of living is WAY less, which works well for a single person. It would free up $9,000 a year in disposable income for me, therefore allowing me to spend more money on flights to visit family in CT! I also found the area to be more gay friendly than people would think. I openly admitted I was gay to a random shopper at Food Lion down there and she smiled and said I was cute and we had a good time chatting. My gay friends there are out with everyone and they never had an issue. It's also not as conservative as people think. I mean, the metro area as a whole voted in favor of Barack Obama. The climate is ideal for me, too. Four seasons with an emphasis on summer, mild winters, and mountains nearby for hiking. That's when I crossed Florida off the list. I have friends in the area, and this guy is looking for a roommate for just $500 a month in his brand new house. It would make it easier for me to get started up and look for a job. Plus, the industries in Charlotte are matched closely with my background in financial services and utility industries. Duke Energy is the largest utility in America. Bank of America is also headquartered there, among other companies. I'm not crazy about the sprawl, but no place is perfect, right? I'm sure it will take some time to adjust to the culture, too. But it just seems like it would work better for a young single gay person who is business minded and favors quality of life over nightlife and partying. I'm just glad that I know the pros and cons and have realistic expectations, if I do decide to move there.

Otherwise, New Haven / Milford is the choice for me.

I think you're out of your mind. Why any gay white male would want to move to the South is beyond me. There is a HUGE cultural difference between Charlotte and Connecticut. People in Charlotte won't be satisfied with "I don't go to church." They won't ever accept your being gay and will talk about you behind your back as a sinner. There are no ethnic neighborhoods in the South so the food down there is bland, mostly chain restaurants. The Southern idea of culture is reenacting the Civil War, or as they still call it: The War Of Northern Aggression. There are no "town centers" like in Connecticut. Everything in the South is sprawled strip malls, megachurches, NASCAR.

Trust me. I lived in Atlanta before moving to Brooklyn. Atlanta was hell on earth. In fact anything south of Richmond, VA and north of Fort Lauderdale, FL is a no fly zone area for me. Never again.

Old 01-26-2013, 04:07 PM

3,720 posts, read 4,438,510 times
Quote:
Go to North Carolina.

Old 01-26-2013, 05:29 PM

11,028 posts, read 13,362,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
I like Charlotte. Nice city. Good shopping. Nice folks. I thought the food sucked. Good airport-- You can get almost anywhere. There's some sports. It's inexpensive.

Why not?
I agree that the food sucked lol but I'm not into dining and food anyway.

Old 01-26-2013, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by germansoldiers View Post
I think you're out of your mind. Why any gay white male would want to move to the South is beyond me. There is a HUGE cultural difference between Charlotte and Connecticut. People in Charlotte won't be satisfied with "I don't go to church." They won't ever accept your being gay and will talk about you behind your back as a sinner. There are no ethnic neighborhoods in the South so the food down there is bland, mostly chain restaurants. The Southern idea of culture is reenacting the Civil War, or as they still call it: The War Of Northern Aggression. There are no "town centers" like in Connecticut. Everything in the South is sprawled strip malls, megachurches, NASCAR.

Trust me. I lived in Atlanta before moving to Brooklyn. Atlanta was hell on earth. In fact anything south of Richmond, VA and north of Fort Lauderdale, FL is a no fly zone area for me. Never again.
NYC sucks to live in. I already lived there and would never go back.

How ignorant. All of my gay friends in Charlotte said they rarely or never had any problems with being gay down there. Times are changing. And do you realize that at least half of the population of Charlotte metro are NOT from the south? That place is LOADED with New Yorkers and Yankees. My friend from Toccoa, GA moved to Charlotte and was shocked to learn that his neighbors were ALL from New York. He felt like a misfit. Hundreds of thousands of northeasterners have relocated to NC. Why can't I? Heck, the gay population and percentage is way higher there than it is in New Haven metro. All of my gay friends there say that ill be just fine and fit right in. By the same token, I would hate to move down there just to move back to CT. I can't afford to chop up my career that much. I want stability.

Old 01-26-2013, 06:02 PM

4,051 posts, read 2,928,672 times
If you're in the financial services + utilities, and you don't like NYC, NH would have limited opportunities. not just jobs, but networks as well. You just can't think of job listings only, but pools of professionals in your or similar spaces. It's the time, when you would establish networks for the future career.

It's true that many NYers have moved to NC, Charlotte included. Lately many Long Islanders too. Yet, Charlotte is not as big in your field either. Like you said nothing is perfect. Besides the cold, do you have any beef with Boston?

Last edited by Henry10; 01-26-2013 at 06:03 PM.. Reason: finish sentences.

Old 01-26-2013, 06:16 PM

18,677 posts, read 16,435,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germansoldiers View Post
I think you're out of your mind. Why any gay white male would want to move to the South is beyond me. There is a HUGE cultural difference between Charlotte and Connecticut. People in Charlotte won't be satisfied with "I don't go to church." .

I don't, and Nashville is IMO a tad more religious than Charlotte (business takes me there a few times per year). Most of my neighbors don't attend church, either, and most are white collar professionals, largely middle mgmt and up.

It isn't an issue. No one even brings it up. Business and politics come up often.

Times have changed.

Now as for the OP, I'm delighted he actually did his homework, and tried before he bought. No matter what you decide, I hope you view the decision favorably long-term.

Old 01-26-2013, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
If you're in the financial services + utilities, and you don't like NYC, NH would have limited opportunities. not just jobs, but networks as well. You just can't think of job listings only, but pools of professionals in your or similar spaces. It's the time, when you would establish networks for the future career.

It's true that many NYers have moved to NC, Charlotte included. Lately many Long Islanders too. Yet, Charlotte is not as big in your field either. Like you said nothing is perfect. Besides the cold, do you have any beef with Boston?
Although I like Boston and think it's a beautiful city, I ruled it out because of the extremely high cost of living and fast-paced, stressful lifestyle. The cold certainly doesn't help either.

Old 01-27-2013, 12:28 AM
PDF

11,386 posts, read 9,848,968 times
The perfect city for you is not out there. And may I say that you don't sound too confident in these 2 choices. You seem to like Charlotte, so why not go there? Or pick another 2 cities and continue the cycle.

Just go!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut