U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 02-13-2013, 04:11 PM
 
4,787 posts, read 8,801,257 times
Reputation: 12592

Advertisements

Nep, don't lock yourself into a box. Two weeks vacation may not be to your liking, but it's not likely forever either. You'd be starting at the bottom. As you gain experience with the company, vacation will increase in most cases. So for a couple/ few years you make do with Skype and some visits.

Also, don't look at this as your always having to come back to CT to visit. Could you parents also visit you once a year ? They may enjoy taking a trip down there now and again.

By the way, have you asked mom and dad if they're going to live in CT forever. They may surprise you and decide to retire some place else unexpectedly one of these days. Nothing in life is guaranteed.

 
Old 02-13-2013, 04:33 PM
 
14 posts, read 17,327 times
Reputation: 41
I can't help but jump in here.

Sorry nep but you are kidding yourself (especially any large finance org) is going to offer more than 2-weeks to a new employee. Some do, MOST don't.

You need to dig in somewhere and just work your tail off and enjoy what you have. I work 60 hours sometimes and it has, and will continue to pay off. It's easy to become just a number in an org., but with the right attitude they can depend on you so much they are scared of you leaving. You just have to know more (training, reading, seminars whatever) and work harder than everyone else. I also live far away from my family but I accept the fact I can see them maybe twice a year. There are tons of opportunities in FFC for me and that's why I am chose to come.

FFC is no joke however, and for anyone who is young and on a budget, they will find that out immediately. Forget about all your grand dreams of immediate gratification when it comes to living alone and having a nice place under 1500 a month. FORGET IT. I make around what you make and I live in a modest 1br for around that. You can find a job in Charlotte and be living like a king in a brand new apartment with a pool on 40k (even with your measly 2 week vacation Which is what I still get).

I dont know anything about the job market and what niche for companies Charlotte fits, but I would imagine FFC would have a lot more in your field of finance and accounting. Based on your very unrealistic expectations, you are better off staying where you are if you get a job. You will move back up here and make 70k, only to find out you won't be living nowhere near like you can in NC.

It's honestly good to get away from where you grew up for a few years or more. Do it and stop being so worried about everything.
 
Old 02-13-2013, 04:37 PM
 
Location: Montreal -> CT -> MA -> Montreal -> Ottawa
16,241 posts, read 25,516,232 times
Reputation: 25225
Quote:
Originally Posted by esm1983 View Post

You need to dig in somewhere and just work your tail off and enjoy what you have. I work 60 hours sometimes and it has, and will continue to pay off.
I agree with this. Nep, you're young. Now is the time to "show 'em what you got" and that means putting in the time and effort.

When I first started working (I'm 47 now), my father said something to me that stuck with me forever: "If you're a clock-watcher, you'll be TREATED like a clock-watcher." And by "treated," he meant in terms of salary, time off, and -- most importantly -- respect. I trusted my Dad -- he's a business owner -- and he was right.
 
Old 02-13-2013, 04:39 PM
PDF
 
11,386 posts, read 9,905,699 times
Reputation: 6580
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
How rude, but anyway...

I don't believe in businesses controlling my life. Where I live, what I can do with my time and what major life decisions I can make. I took radical action by quitting my job in Nov for personal and medical reasons. I was not going to stay hostage to a job that was demoralizing my career and life, not to mention constant verbal and emotional abuse from management. I have no regrets leaving. Seriously.

And yes, if living far from family, vacation time is important to me. I would like to see my family fairly often. Maybe three times a year. Two weeks is REALLY pushing it, if living far from family. Three weeks is better, however.

And with most large corporations, vacation time is not negotiable. It's standardized for every employee.

Finally, yes, my resume is excellent. All I had to do was switch my address on LinkedIn from Hartford, CT to Charlotte, NC, and boom, a recruiter got in touch with me within days. We met and discussed opportunities and she had me apply to three jobs in the area. The job market is indeed competitive here, because of the influx of newcomers looking for work (including myself), so I'm evaluating the risk of staying here beyond February.

If it doesn't work out, I have two options. I could go back to CT and live with parents temporarily while looking for a job anywhere within a 3-hour drive. Or, I could go to Tampa FL and live with grandparents temporarily while looking for a job in the Tampa and Orlando areas. But, based on all of my travels, I would rather go back to CT. And if I go back to CT, I would be interested in looking for a job in Fairfield or New Haven counties. At least live in a different area of CT. I'd apply to jobs in Providence, too. But not Hartford. I'm seriously over it.

Of course, my concern is....can I really be successful and live comfortably alone on a single income in southwestern CT? I'd probably be starting at around $70K. I don't want to live in an area where I would feel poor compared to the average person, either.
Wait, hold on. I thought Florida was out of the question? Wouldn't you run into the same problems there that you are facing in Charlotte?

The poster you quoted was not being rude, just truthful. I think you really just need to take a step back and think about what's important.

Or else this will go on forever.
 
Old 02-13-2013, 04:45 PM
 
Location: The South
637 posts, read 766,869 times
Reputation: 652
Stunning.
 
Old 02-13-2013, 04:51 PM
 
8,780 posts, read 16,288,467 times
Reputation: 5219
Since the OP did in fact move out of CT, this thread should be rendered done. IMHO.
 
Old 02-13-2013, 05:29 PM
 
Location: Jacksonville, FL
11,040 posts, read 13,429,975 times
Reputation: 6770
Quote:
Originally Posted by esm1983 View Post
I can't help but jump in here.

Sorry nep but you are kidding yourself (especially any large finance org) is going to offer more than 2-weeks to a new employee. Some do, MOST don't.

You need to dig in somewhere and just work your tail off and enjoy what you have. I work 60 hours sometimes and it has, and will continue to pay off. It's easy to become just a number in an org., but with the right attitude they can depend on you so much they are scared of you leaving. You just have to know more (training, reading, seminars whatever) and work harder than everyone else. I also live far away from my family but I accept the fact I can see them maybe twice a year. There are tons of opportunities in FFC for me and that's why I am chose to come.

FFC is no joke however, and for anyone who is young and on a budget, they will find that out immediately. Forget about all your grand dreams of immediate gratification when it comes to living alone and having a nice place under 1500 a month. FORGET IT. I make around what you make and I live in a modest 1br for around that. You can find a job in Charlotte and be living like a king in a brand new apartment with a pool on 40k (even with your measly 2 week vacation Which is what I still get).

I dont know anything about the job market and what niche for companies Charlotte fits, but I would imagine FFC would have a lot more in your field of finance and accounting. Based on your very unrealistic expectations, you are better off staying where you are if you get a job. You will move back up here and make 70k, only to find out you won't be living nowhere near like you can in NC.

It's honestly good to get away from where you grew up for a few years or more. Do it and stop being so worried about everything.
Working 60 hours a week is stupid. Why would you **** your life away like that? It's not even worth owning a house or anything, for that matter, if you're in the office 12 hours a day. I would rather do 40-45 hours, personally. It's not healthy, and in many cases, leads to obesity and depression. WHY would anyone do that for any sum of money?!

Also, every single job I ever had, had given me at least 3 weeks of vacation from day one. In fact, my first job gave me 5 weeks. My second job, 4 weeks. And my third job gave me 3 weeks. So to hear that I may only be getting 2 weeks now is a tough pill to swallow.
 
Old 02-13-2013, 09:01 PM
 
Location: Connecticut
1,046 posts, read 1,297,948 times
Reputation: 1126
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Also, every single job I ever had, had given me at least 3 weeks of vacation from day one. In fact, my first job gave me 5 weeks. My second job, 4 weeks. And my third job gave me 3 weeks. So to hear that I may only be getting 2 weeks now is a tough pill to swallow.
Maybe you should've just stuck with that first job.

Despite what some people are saying here, you are not young. You are nearly 30. You should have been settled into a career and a home long ago.
 
Old 02-13-2013, 11:16 PM
 
Location: Jacksonville, FL
11,040 posts, read 13,429,975 times
Reputation: 6770
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerAnthony View Post
Maybe you should've just stuck with that first job.

Despite what some people are saying here, you are not young. You are nearly 30. You should have been settled into a career and a home long ago.
I know...it's too late now. My life is in shambles. What to do?!
 
Old 02-14-2013, 05:26 AM
 
3,720 posts, read 4,450,461 times
Reputation: 4741
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Working 60 hours a week is stupid. Why would you **** your life away like that? It's not even worth owning a house or anything, for that matter, if you're in the office 12 hours a day. I would rather do 40-45 hours, personally. It's not healthy, and in many cases, leads to obesity and depression. WHY would anyone do that for any sum of money?!

Also, every single job I ever had, had given me at least 3 weeks of vacation from day one. In fact, my first job gave me 5 weeks. My second job, 4 weeks. And my third job gave me 3 weeks. So to hear that I may only be getting 2 weeks now is a tough pill to swallow.
Wow! It sounds like every job change you had left you worse off than the previous job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I know...it's too late now. My life is in shambles. What to do?!
I hope you are just joking around. It's not too late for you nep. Just try to change your outlook a bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top