U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 02-14-2013, 11:08 AM
 
673 posts, read 1,241,788 times
Reputation: 171

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Then you shouldn't have quit your last job.
All I can say is that sometimes taking a protracted path to objective make u learn a tonne more than a linear, direct path. At your stage in life vacation is the least of your worries. The room to grow, learn new stuff and acclimatizing to a new environment is what you should be concerned about.

Most succesful people did not arrive at where they are if they had taken a straight linear path (unless their parents groomed them all the way). If you were satisfied with the comfort zone in the past you wouldn't thought about moving out of CT would you? Focus on the exploring and stop bitching about the fringe benefits. 2 decades later you will realize that these fringe benefits has 0 influence on your personal development.

 
Old 02-14-2013, 11:12 AM
 
Location: Montreal -> CT -> MA -> Montreal -> Ottawa
16,251 posts, read 25,568,445 times
Reputation: 25251
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I have no regrets quitting my last job. But I don't feel like getting into it now.
I remember what you said about why you left your last job. The thing is -- and I'm sure you know it -- no job is perfect. Every job has its plusses and minuses.

The last job had the plus of offering more vacation time but the minuses were much bigger for you, and I understand that.

So, if a job was offered to you with only two weeks vacation, but you were treated with the respect that you deserve, I'd hope that it would be a wash for you. I would hope that you could say, "Yeah, I only get two weeks vacation but everything else about it is fabulous! There's none of the crap that made me leave my old job."
 
Old 02-14-2013, 11:12 AM
 
Location: Coastal Northeast
15,813 posts, read 22,118,677 times
Reputation: 5299
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konig1985 View Post
All I can say is that sometimes taking a protracted path to objective make u learn a tonne more than a linear, direct path. At your stage in life vacation is the least of your worries. The room to grow, learn new stuff and acclimatizing to a new environment is what you should be concerned about.

Most succesful people did not arrive at where they are if they had taken a straight linear path (unless their parents groomed them all the way). If you were satisfied with the comfort zone in the past you wouldn't thought about moving out of CT would you? Focus on the exploring and stop bitching about the fringe benefits. 2 decades later you will realize that these fringe benefits has 0 influence on your personal development.
I think you wrongly quoted me.
 
Old 02-14-2013, 11:20 AM
 
Location: Jacksonville, FL
11,040 posts, read 13,464,304 times
Reputation: 6770
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
I remember what you said about why you left your last job. The thing is -- and I'm sure you know it -- no job is perfect. Every job has its plusses and minuses.

The last job had the plus of offering more vacation time but the minuses were much bigger for you, and I understand that.

So, if a job was offered to you with only two weeks vacation, but you were treated with the respect that you deserve, I'd hope that it would be a wash for you. I would hope that you could say, "Yeah, I only get two weeks vacation but everything else about it is fabulous! There's none of the crap that made me leave my old job."
Of course. If the opportunity was too good to pass up, but only offered two weeks of vacation, of course I would take it. My point all along was that, coming from a job that gave me three weeks of vacation, it's a disappointment; a step down. I hope people understand where I'm coming from here.
 
Old 02-14-2013, 11:24 AM
 
673 posts, read 1,241,788 times
Reputation: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I think you wrongly quoted me.
The threads have gone so long that I am just too lazy to go back one page and use his quote. Sorry about that!
 
Old 02-14-2013, 11:32 AM
 
Location: Montreal -> CT -> MA -> Montreal -> Ottawa
16,251 posts, read 25,568,445 times
Reputation: 25251
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Of course. If the opportunity was too good to pass up, but only offered two weeks of vacation, of course I would take it. My point all along was that, coming from a job that gave me three weeks of vacation, it's a disappointment; a step down. I hope people understand where I'm coming from here.
I totally understand it! Completely. I went from working for a company at which I was given five weeks of vacation... to becoming self-employed. Taking vacation when you're self-employed means that every vacation day is, essentially, unpaid. So, yes, I get it.

I hope, though, that when putting a weight factor on vacation and putting a weight factor on being treated properly, that you'd weight the good treatment higher than you would weight the time off. The vacation time will grow... changing how people treat you is impossible.
 
Old 02-14-2013, 01:01 PM
 
Location: Jacksonville, FL
11,040 posts, read 13,464,304 times
Reputation: 6770
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
I totally understand it! Completely. I went from working for a company at which I was given five weeks of vacation... to becoming self-employed. Taking vacation when you're self-employed means that every vacation day is, essentially, unpaid. So, yes, I get it.

I hope, though, that when putting a weight factor on vacation and putting a weight factor on being treated properly, that you'd weight the good treatment higher than you would weight the time off. The vacation time will grow... changing how people treat you is impossible.
Yes of course. Although...it's very hard to tell how well you will be treated in a new job, simply from interviewing with the people. It's a gamble, always, unless you already know the people.
 
Old 02-14-2013, 01:05 PM
 
Location: Montreal -> CT -> MA -> Montreal -> Ottawa
16,251 posts, read 25,568,445 times
Reputation: 25251
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Yes of course. Although...it's very hard to tell how well you will be treated in a new job, simply from interviewing with the people. It's a gamble, always, unless you already know the people.
That's true. You're right. Leap of faith and all of that...

But you said that the folks in Charlotte are -- in general -- nicer than in CT, so maybe that will carry on to the work environment.
 
Old 02-14-2013, 01:06 PM
 
Location: Jacksonville, FL
11,040 posts, read 13,464,304 times
Reputation: 6770
I am planning to attempt the CPA exam over the next year and hopefully be licensed by the end of 2014. It should broaden my job prospects and increase my income, so I'm going to get it over with. I should be 30 years old by the time I'm licensed. I hope that's not too old lol.
 
Old 02-14-2013, 02:06 PM
 
420 posts, read 339,287 times
Reputation: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
The last two jobs I had, I had 4 weeks and 3 weeks of vacation from day one, respectively, and only worked about 40 hours per week. Wouldn't YOU feel disappointed too, if you knew that your next job would only provide 2 weeks? It's a step down from 3 weeks, which I already had at my previous job.
I was more... impressed... by your stated unwillingness to work more than 40 hours.

You aren't going to get very far with that attitude. Don't expect a nice house in a nice area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top