U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 02-14-2013, 01:33 PM
 
4,787 posts, read 8,766,822 times
Reputation: 12592

Advertisements

Good moves, Nep

One other thing. Don't forget you're hoping to meet some great guy. When you do, it may turn out that he is not from Charlotte or CT, he may be originally from Texas or anyplace else. When you have a partner, your vacation time is not going to be focused on always visiting your family- he may want to see his family too. Or the two of you may just want to get away someplace by yourselves.

So I wouldn't put too much stock right now on worrying about your immediate and extended family. They'll always be family. Focus now on your immediate needs- job, new friends, exploring the area, housing after you find a job.

 
Old 02-14-2013, 01:40 PM
 
Location: East Coast
865 posts, read 2,246,777 times
Reputation: 536
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I know...it's too late now. My life is in shambles. What to do?!
You find a nice job and give Charlotte a good 3-5 years. Develop yourself personally and professionally, as everyone here has been saying. Meet friends. Explore the region.

You say that because you will probably move back to CT anyway, why not cut to the chase and do it now? Because you could potentially have a lot of great experiences in Charlotte, even if you do move away later.
 
Old 02-14-2013, 01:44 PM
 
Location: Jacksonville, FL
11,038 posts, read 13,383,716 times
Reputation: 6755
Quote:
Originally Posted by willow wind View Post
Good moves, Nep

One other thing. Don't forget you're hoping to meet some great guy. When you do, it may turn out that he is not from Charlotte or CT, he may be originally from Texas or anyplace else. When you have a partner, your vacation time is not going to be focused on always visiting your family- he may want to see his family too. Or the two of you may just want to get away someplace by yourselves.

So I wouldn't put too much stock right now on worrying about your immediate and extended family. They'll always be family. Focus now on your immediate needs- job, new friends, exploring the area, housing after you find a job.
Well so far I have applied to five jobs and have had three recruiters contact me about opportunities in the area. But like I said, if I don't accept an offer by the end of the month, I will have to leave the area and live with family. I am quickly reaching a fiscal cliff and will simply not be able to continue living here and paying rent with no job.

Other than that, I really do like it here. I'm not a huge fan of hearing southern accents here and there, but it's not that big of a deal, either. Charlotte really is a great place. Affordable housing, four seasons with minimal snow, interesting terrain, major corporate headquarters, plenty of young people, gay people, and it's not conservative or super religious as people have said. It's fine. I feel comfortable here. And the traffic isn't even as bad as people made it out to be. It might add 10 min. to your commute, but that's not a big deal. The crime rate is lower than most other metro areas, and the overall area just feels very clean and safe. It's great.

The only bad things I have observed is that there's a bit too much cookie-cut-out housing, but there's still a lot of beautiful older homes in good shape closer to the city core. And of course, tons of chain restaurants and fast food, but I'm not really a foodie anyway.

I have also had an easy time making friends here and approaching people. I already have several friends who enjoy spending time with me and are interested in making plans to hang out, etc. I made the same amount of friends here in 2 weeks than I did in FIVE damn years in CT. And even my friends in CT for some reason aren't that outgoing. It's like they're so reserved and would rather spend time with their family or stay home all the time. Like they're always busy with themselves. Screw them.
 
Old 02-14-2013, 01:49 PM
 
Location: Jacksonville, FL
11,038 posts, read 13,383,716 times
Reputation: 6755
Quote:
Originally Posted by sobo16 View Post
You find a nice job and give Charlotte a good 3-5 years. Develop yourself personally and professionally, as everyone here has been saying. Meet friends. Explore the region.

You say that because you will probably move back to CT anyway, why not cut to the chase and do it now? Because you could potentially have a lot of great experiences in Charlotte, even if you do move away later.
Well because I prefer to feel like I'm permanently settled. Would you really feel motivated to purchase a home and start a career somewhere if you knew you were going to leave in 5 years or less?

I mean, I'm 100% Italian. Sometimes I just want to be near my mommy.
 
Old 02-14-2013, 02:02 PM
 
Location: Coastal Northeast
15,742 posts, read 22,008,066 times
Reputation: 5279
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I mean, I'm 100% Italian. Sometimes I just want to be near my mommy.
I'm surprised you're not complaining about the pizza down there!
 
Old 02-14-2013, 02:08 PM
 
Location: Jacksonville, FL
11,038 posts, read 13,383,716 times
Reputation: 6755
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I'm surprised you're not complaining about the pizza down there!
I'm not a pizza person at all. However, there is an awesome grinder shop down here called Jersey Mikes. I LOVED it! Way better than Subway or Blimpies. There is also a Greek fast food chain down here that's exclusive to Charlotte called Showmars, which is actually pretty decent. The grocery stores down here are also the same or better than anything in CT. There is Harris Teeter and Publix here. Both of which are better than Stop & Shop IMO. Honestly, I don't see a big difference food wise, between here and greater Hartford. Of course, Hartford county is better, but it's still loaded with its fair share of chain restaurants, too. Likewise there are plenty of privately owned restaurants down here, too. You just have to look a little harder. But again, I'm not a foodie.
 
Old 02-14-2013, 02:21 PM
 
Location: East Coast
865 posts, read 2,246,777 times
Reputation: 536
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Well because I prefer to feel like I'm permanently settled. Would you really feel motivated to purchase a home and start a career somewhere if you knew you were going to leave in 5 years or less?
How do you know you are going to leave? If after 3-5 years, maybe you'll want to stay in Charlotte. Or go somewhere new. Why do you have to purchase a home to be settled? Building a social network and moving up the career ladder is part of settling down, too. As is growing up. Maybe you'll find a company that can transfer you to a different office down the road if you want to move.

And even if you do move back to CT in a few years, you will have had a few years of living in a different place that made your life more interesting.
 
Old 02-14-2013, 04:44 PM
 
8,780 posts, read 16,254,102 times
Reputation: 5219
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Sometimes I just want to be near my mommy.
 
Old 02-15-2013, 06:46 AM
PDF
 
11,386 posts, read 9,865,234 times
Reputation: 6580
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Well because I prefer to feel like I'm permanently settled. Would you really feel motivated to purchase a home and start a career somewhere if you knew you were going to leave in 5 years or less?

I mean, I'm 100% Italian. Sometimes I just want to be near my mommy.
Then why have you been so focused on finding permanent settlement in a new city if you're just going to come back to CT 5 years down the road?
 
Old 02-15-2013, 07:40 AM
 
275 posts, read 335,618 times
Reputation: 117
I hope I.won't get yet another warning, but what you're saying is true.
It is alot easier & quicker to make friends down south than up in Connecticut.
People are much more laid back & friendly to strangers down south, than up in Connecticut, where they are much more reserved & stand offish (reluctant to even speak to you).
We have people who live next to us who never smile oe even say hello.
The south is a lot better place.to live in terms of outgoing, friendly people & the cost of living.
Just read the news where it states CT has highest debt.ratio in the U.S.. Eek... stay down south nep321, our gas is noww
up to $4/gallon again.
Unless you get a great job nep, you'll have a hard time paying your bills up here.
Good luck Nep
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top