U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2013, 12:15 PM

11,035 posts, read 13,376,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetto View Post
Well then, it sounds as if you have everything well in hand. May I ask a simple question? Have any of these recruiters who've contacted you had an offer for you? Niggling little detail I know, but are the offers filling up your inbox?? Ya think it may have helped if you had networked a little more effectively so you had an "inside edge"? Seeing the light yet?
Recruiters are not the ones to decide whether to make an offer to me or not. That's the employer's decision. The recruiter is the middle man in the hiring process. I haven't had any offers yet, because I haven't had any interviews yet. As for networking, there's really nothing I could have done in that regard. I don't know anybody here in my career field at all. But as I've said in the past, networking has never landed me a job. I've always gotten a job through direct application or recruitment. Works well for me.

Most large corporations have a policy that requires them to post ALL new job openings on the internet, for external applicants anyway, even if it's likely that an internal candidate will get the job. It's just a formality. But networking has been useless in my career to be honest. I mean, I've had co-workers at previous employers who moved up the ladder contact me and ask me if I wanted to come back. Is that considered networking? I always said no, because I would never want to return to any of my previous employers.

Old 02-17-2013, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
They can't figure out your age, your past employer, where you've been living over the past 5 years, etc., etc.???

I have some bad news for you nep, you've provided all of that here on this board.
Okay so what? What's the risk? Everybody has some sort of internet identity. It's not just exclusive to me. It's not like I've ever committed crimes or anything of that nature. I'm a law-abiding citizen of society looking for a job. Big deal? If anything, it would confirm to them that I'm honest about my age, employment history and residence history. Employers look for honesty and consistency. But like I said, it's not traceable to City-Data. I even tried it myself. I'm a completely different avatar here on C-D than my real life identity.

Old 02-17-2013, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Forget offers - has he even had a single interview? For all his talk about what he knows is good business, what isn't, what he wants, what he's not willing to accept, what he's willing to wiggle with - he is unemployed. He talks about what his manager tells him - he doesn't HAVE a manager. He's unemployed. He has no income, he's had no interviews, all he's done so far is show up and submit 6 resumes.

I can submit a few hundred resumes right from the comfort of my own home, and not have to spend a single dollar in gas, or a single hour in traffic, to do so. There's nothing resourceful about driving 6 states away and handing over resumes to a recruiter. A recruiter doesn't even have to -meet- you in person to recruit you for a job. I was recruited over the phone for a job and was placed the same week, and I never met the recruiter. I don't even remember how he explained that he got my name. I wasn't in the market for a job at the time - the offer was a sweet one though so I interviewed for it and got it.

No interview = no prospects. Handing out resumes means -nothing- in the world of employment searching. Nothing, zilch, nada. And if a recruiter is telling you otherwise, he's selling you a bill of goods and wasting your time and (and money, since you have to pay for the privilege of BEING there) just to keep his list fluffed up with "potential candidates."
Um....it takes a bit of time to land an interview. Duh. It takes time for the recruiters to collaborate with the employers, and then the employers' HR department usually forwards the candidate's resume to the department manager(s) that the job relates to. Then they have to determine whether they want to interview the person or not. These things take time.

You are full of yourself and don't really understand how the hiring and recruitment process works. You can't laugh at me for not having an interview RIGHT AWAY. For crying out loud, I just started my job search two weeks ago. And I like the way it's progressing.

Every single job offer I have ever received was received while NOT being employed. You don't have to be employed to look attractive to employers. It helps, but it's not necessary, as evidenced by my own career history.

Old 02-17-2013, 12:29 PM

1,930 posts, read 3,174,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Recruiters are not the ones to decide whether to make an offer to me or not. That's the employer's decision. The recruiter is the middle man in the hiring process. I haven't had any offers yet, because I haven't had any interviews yet. As for networking, there's really nothing I could have done in that regard. I don't know anybody here in my career field at all. But as I've said in the past, networking has never landed me a job. I've always gotten a job through direct application or recruitment. Works well for me.

Most large corporations have a policy that requires them to post ALL new job openings on the internet, for external applicants anyway, even if it's likely that an internal candidate will get the job. It's just a formality. But networking has been useless in my career to be honest. I mean, I've had co-workers at previous employers who moved up the ladder contact me and ask me if I wanted to come back. Is that considered networking? I always said no, because I would never want to return to any of my previous employers.
If you're resume is of stellar origin, why haven't they lined up the red carpet for you? Forget all the crap you wasted electrons on responding to my post; the news to you bud is that if you had used effective networking whether it be LinkedIn, church, facebook or whatever, your chances would have increased by a great deal.

I get the feeling even if you were offered the perfect job, you'd still be running back to your mommy. Better grow up and fast. No wonder you're in the straights you're in right now

Old 02-17-2013, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetto View Post
If you're resume is of stellar origin, why haven't they lined up the red carpet for you? Forget all the crap you wasted electrons on responding to my post; the news to you bud is that if you had used effective networking whether it be LinkedIn, church, facebook or whatever, your chances would have increased by a great deal.

I get the feeling even if you were offered the perfect job, you'd still be running back to your mommy. Better grow up and fast. No wonder you're in the straights you're in right now
I have a great resume and the recruiters know it. That's why they bother to contact me and invite me to their offices to meet with them and discuss and apply to job opportunities. What more of a red carpet can there be? That's the best they can do. That's how the recruitment process works. Geez.

Old 02-17-2013, 04:08 PM

221 posts, read 180,424 times
Now that you know that you cannot be far away from your mommy and /or family, just move back to CT.

Do not start anymore threads about why you hate CT please.

Old 02-17-2013, 07:43 PM

258 posts, read 326,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I have a great resume and the recruiters know it. That's why they bother to contact me and invite me to their offices to meet with them and discuss and apply to job opportunities. What more of a red carpet can there be? That's the best they can do. That's how the recruitment process works. Geez.
Very interesting. I'm in GA and have used recruiters as well. The serious ones only contacted me when they had a real job opening they were filling. I have yet to see a legitimate one contact me just to get to know me. However, if you go to the work and unemployment boards, you'll notice a ton of people complaining about recruiters because they invite people to their offices to "get to know them". It seems as if in many of those cases there is no real job and they are essentially contingency recruiters, not retained, looking to fill their resume portfolios.

Hopefully this is not happening in your case. In my case, I was contacted by a retained recruiter mid Jan, had two interviews with the company the following week, and had an offer the third week.

Old 02-17-2013, 07:56 PM

4,052 posts, read 2,931,408 times
Groundwork could have been done before you got there. Especially since you limited yourself to one month. Did I hear you correctly that you already spent $ 6000 for your trip to Charlotte? I need not count your money, but if true, I am curious -- what made the 17 day trip so expensive?

Old 02-17-2013, 08:52 PM

431 posts, read 196,583 times
Following nep's "journey" is really alarming. nep, when you do land a job, and get health insurance, please DO seek counseling. You can try to spin your stories anyway you want, but no one here is buying it, and a well qualified therapist will see right through it also. I really see so much denial and it's scary. But I also see a lot of myself in you (and I'm only 26 lol). I have been to talk to someone though, and I grew up. I would really hate to see you 5 years from now, stuck in the same exact rut...and that is the path you are headed down.

Old 02-17-2013, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esperanita View Post
Very interesting. I'm in GA and have used recruiters as well. The serious ones only contacted me when they had a real job opening they were filling. I have yet to see a legitimate one contact me just to get to know me. However, if you go to the work and unemployment boards, you'll notice a ton of people complaining about recruiters because they invite people to their offices to "get to know them". It seems as if in many of those cases there is no real job and they are essentially contingency recruiters, not retained, looking to fill their resume portfolios.

Hopefully this is not happening in your case. In my case, I was contacted by a retained recruiter mid Jan, had two interviews with the company the following week, and had an offer the third week.
The recruiters that I'm working with aren't merely meeting with me to get to know me. They actually have job opportunities for me that I applied for. So it's not a waste of time in my case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut