U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 02-19-2013, 11:16 AM
 
Location: Jacksonville, FL
11,037 posts, read 13,379,959 times
Reputation: 6750

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UconnHusky1 View Post
It's amazing how this thread grew to 33 pages. I can't explain it, but I'll admit that it's very intriguing to me; entertaining, informative, and also depressing.

Nevertheless, I'm going to printout this thread and save it for my children. Basically, I'll have them read it slowly and politely tell them NEVER under any circumstances follow the actions of the OP.
You might want to wait longer before printing it out. I suspect this thread will grow to well over 34 pages. And then you can tell your kids about how the OP found a good job just a few months later and is in a much better position than he was when he was stuck in a miserable rut with his previous job and living situation. The lesson to be learned is that people may sometimes need to take radical action in their lives in order to get what they want. As Albert Einstein said, "anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."

 
Old 02-19-2013, 11:17 AM
 
Location: Connecticut
1,044 posts, read 1,291,797 times
Reputation: 1123
Quote:
Originally Posted by UconnHusky1 View Post
Nevertheless, I'm going to printout this thread and save it for my children. Basically, I'll have them read it slowly and politely tell them NEVER under any circumstances follow the actions of the OP.
I didn't print it out, but I did discuss it with my 16-year-old and tell him just what you said!
 
Old 02-19-2013, 11:18 AM
 
431 posts, read 196,940 times
Reputation: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Seriously dude?

I know lots of people who have far more money than your parents do, yet they have work ethic, drive, and understand sacrifice - unlike you.

What selfish comments.
Seriously...

At 28 (right?) your parents should do the loving thing and teach you to stand up on your own two feet and take care of your problems.

I moved home from Pennsylvania at 24 and my mother did not let me move in with her and my step dad because it was TIME TO GROW UP.
 
Old 02-19-2013, 11:19 AM
 
431 posts, read 196,940 times
Reputation: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
You might want to wait longer before printing it out. I suspect this thread will grow to well over 34 pages. And then you can tell your kids about how the OP found a good job just a few months later and is in a much better position than he was when he was stuck in a miserable rut with his previous job and living situation. The lesson to be learned is that people may sometimes need to take radical action in their lives in order to get what they want. As Albert Einstein said, "anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."
No, because in a few months, you will be on here, with a new job, back in CT, but complaining about CT and saying how you should have stayed in Charlotte or want to move somewhere else.
 
Old 02-19-2013, 11:20 AM
 
Location: Jacksonville, FL
11,037 posts, read 13,379,959 times
Reputation: 6750
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Seriously dude?

I know lots of people who have far more money than your parents do, yet they have work ethic, drive, and understand sacrifice - unlike you.

What selfish comments.
You don't even know how much money and property my parents have, lol. So don't be quick to assume that.

I have work ethic, drive and understand sacrifice. But the people of this forum painted me to be a degenerate of the work force, so I could understand why you would think that, so you're excused.
 
Old 02-19-2013, 11:20 AM
 
Location: Connecticut
1,044 posts, read 1,291,797 times
Reputation: 1123
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
The lesson to be learned is that people may sometimes need to take radical action in their lives in order to get what they want. As Albert Einstein said, "anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."
Moving back home with mom and dad where you just left a month ago is sure a new, radical action!
 
Old 02-19-2013, 11:23 AM
 
Location: Jacksonville, FL
11,037 posts, read 13,379,959 times
Reputation: 6750
Quote:
Originally Posted by meg31816 View Post
Seriously...

At 28 (right?) your parents should do the loving thing and teach you to stand up on your own two feet and take care of your problems.

I moved home from Pennsylvania at 24 and my mother did not let me move in with her and my step dad because it was TIME TO GROW UP.
Sounds like you have selfish parents. It is common that people in their 20's may need some form of family or financial help in order to get ahead in life. People do it all the time. Most parents allow their children to stay at their house for a while, as long as they're making efforts to succeed. After all, parents should be there to help out, but not spoil or give too much.
 
Old 02-19-2013, 11:25 AM
 
431 posts, read 196,940 times
Reputation: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Sounds like you have selfish parents. It is common that people in their 20's may need some form of family or financial help in order to get ahead in life. People do it all the time. Most parents allow their children to stay at their house for a while, as long as they're making efforts to succeed. After all, parents should be there to help out, but not spoil or give too much.
Well, I'm glad that my mom *did* make me stand on my own two feet. Otherwise, who knows, I could very well be in *your* shoes two years from now, if my mom had just coddled me
 
Old 02-19-2013, 11:28 AM
 
Location: Coastal Northeast
15,742 posts, read 22,004,068 times
Reputation: 5277
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
You don't even know how much money and property my parents have, lol. So don't be quick to assume that.

I have work ethic, drive and understand sacrifice. But the people of this forum painted me to be a degenerate of the work force, so I could understand why you would think that, so you're excused.
I think it's fair to make that assumption, as I grew up in a town where some of the wealthiest people on the planet live. The Wall St money that my best friend's parent's made in the late 90's and early 00's would dwarf your parent's assets. Period.

You need to gett off of your high horse and start contributing to society instead of trying to get by while doing as little work as possible, living a typical lifestyle, hoping that one day, you'll be sitting on a few million dollars.

Sickening.
 
Old 02-19-2013, 11:29 AM
 
Location: Jacksonville, FL
11,037 posts, read 13,379,959 times
Reputation: 6750
Quote:
Originally Posted by meg31816 View Post
Well, I'm glad that my mom *did* make me stand on my own two feet. Otherwise, who knows, I could very well be in *your* shoes two years from now, if my mom had just coddled me
My shoes are pretty good shoes to be in right now. A lot of cash in the bank, an excellent resume with a master's degree, a good salary bracket, and the freedom to settle down wherever I want. Oh, and the option to live for free with parents if I wish, to cut my losses. You know, kind of like how Democrats believe in helping those who can't help themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top