U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 11:46 AM

11,038 posts, read 13,389,730 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
But if you want the nice house, in a nice area, with lots of benefits - sometimes you have to work harder for it.

40 hour work weeks are rare these days unless you're happy with a modest income.
Most jobs I've held have been 40-hour week jobs, and I've still received progressive salary increases over the years, and have seen others move up the ladder. It depends on the company, industry, profession, etc. With that said, I am happy with a modest income, although more is certainly a plus. And, if I become partnered with another person one day who makes just as much as me, then I can have the cake and eat it too, working 40 hrs a week, making good money.

You can still make pretty good money these days with a 40-45 hr a week job. I did it. I made more than the median household income of the state of CT and only worked 40 hrs a week on average. My brother does it too. I have friends that do it...many people do it.

Old 02-19-2013, 11:48 AM

Quote:
No, they never tried fully career-wise because they knew they had a fallback. And that was much easier than working hard.

Their degrees were fine.

And I don't care what you have for a degree, you can work your way into a good career with some persistance and talent.
Well, I guess unlike them, I'm not looking to fallback on my parents for the long-term. I just need maybe 2-3 months to stop my expenditures while looking for employment. Seriously...I've complained about dying to get out of my parents' house, earlier in this thread. It's NOT where I want to live, but I'm going to suck it up, if it comes down to that and deal with it just for a couple months. I don't see the problem. I have the personal will to seek employment and get out of my parents' house ASAP!

Old 02-19-2013, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Well aren't you just the cat's meow!

You're so wrong that it's laughable.
Great then...I'll start looking for hedge fund investment jobs in FFC, knowing that I can work just 40 hours a week and make $100,000 at the same time!

Old 02-19-2013, 11:51 AM

1,930 posts, read 3,175,931 times
This guy is unbelievable. His parents have made him FUBAR with their coddling. I sincerely doubt he will ever get his feet under himself as an independent grownup...I cant imagine what it would be like having him as a co-worker....

Old 02-19-2013, 11:53 AM

14,739 posts, read 17,970,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Well, I guess unlike them, I'm not looking to fallback on my parents for the long-term. I just need maybe 2-3 months to stop my expenditures while looking for employment. Seriously...I've complained about dying to get out of my parents' house, earlier in this thread. It's NOT where I want to live, but I'm going to suck it up, if it comes down to that and deal with it just for a couple months. I don't see the problem. I have the personal will to seek employment and get out of my parents' house ASAP!
The fallback just doesn't help. You can't say it doesn't affect your decisions, because it does. That said, I think you just need to decide on a path and stick with it. You're being too fickle for your age right now. I really think southern Connecticut is your best bet at this point. Charlotte was obviously a distraction. Do it and stick with it.

Also, on the salary - I guess I consider $65k (the HHI in CT) to be relatively modest for a white collar professional in CT. ~45 hour work weeks are fairly common. But I still highly doubt 60 hours is realistic at hedge funds.

Old 02-19-2013, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetto View Post
This guy is unbelievable. His parents have made him FUBAR with their coddling. I sincerely doubt he will ever get his feet under himself as an independent grownup...I cant imagine what it would be like having him as a co-worker....
What coddling? I lived independently for 6 years straight, in NYC and CT, with a full time job and successive salary increases and built my resume. All on my OWN, too. Temporarily wanting to live with parents for just 2-3 months while looking for work with no income coming in is NOT bad business sense. It's a temporary bridge to returning to an independent lifestyle. People move back in with their parents from time to time, sometimes. I've seen entire families do it, when relocating for example, or because someone got divorced, or laid off, etc, etc. A parent who doesn't recognize a tough time for their child and is unwilling to do ANYTHING to help out, is simply a neglectful parent, IMO. What the hell is wrong with staying with my parents for JUST a few months to actively look for a job in the area while cutting my losses? I mean, I suppose I COULD stay at an extended stay hotel or sublease apartment, but how stupid that would be!

Old 02-19-2013, 11:58 AM

4,061 posts, read 2,936,786 times
Quote:
You can still make pretty good money these days with a 40-45 hr a week job. I did it. I made more than the median household income of the state of CT and only worked 40 hrs a week on average. My brother does it too. I have friends that do it...many people do it.
The real test of what you say will be when you get an offer, sub-median, and required to work long hours. What will you do then?

Old 02-19-2013, 12:00 PM

Quote:
The fallback just doesn't help. You can't say it doesn't affect your decisions, because it does. That said, I think you just need to decide on a path and stick with it. You're being too fickle for your age right now. I really think southern Connecticut is your best bet at this point. Charlotte was obviously a distraction. Do it and stick with it.

Also, on the salary - I guess I consider $65k (the HHI in CT) to be relatively modest for a white collar professional in CT. ~45 hour work weeks are fairly common. But I still highly doubt 60 hours is realistic at hedge funds.
I made more than $65K in CT.

I don't mind working 45 hour weeks.

Hedge funds are not known to have good work/life balance, although some of them do have good work/life balance. Administrative positions in particular have reasonable hours, but the investment analysts....no, not really. I mean, that's why those positions pay $100K+.

Old 02-19-2013, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
The real test of what you say will be when you get an offer, sub-median, and required to work long hours. What will you do then?
I wouldn't take such a job, because I know I can get a good paying job with 40-45 hr work weeks. Sounds like everyone in this forum just loves to work 24/7 I guess, and doesn't see the value in personal time. I guess I'm in the minority there.

Old 02-19-2013, 12:07 PM

2,890 posts, read 2,966,779 times
Quote:
I never cared about being wealthy. It's a plus, of course, but you do realize that I have the ability to look for work with a hedge fund, for example, in Fairfield county and start making $100K today, devising investment strategies in long/short funds or multi-strategy hedge funds. I have experience in hedge funds and did well with it. But I don't want to pursuit it. Why? Because I don't want to work 60+ hours a week. Personal choice, period. Let someone else make the money.
I'm calling your bluff. You have NO experience as an analyst, PM, Inv Banker so there is no possibility of you making investment decisions at a private 3c-7 hedge. No CFA or CPA designation either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut