U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 11:17 AM

14,829 posts, read 18,083,490 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
That couldn't be further from the truth.

Median household income:
Oxford: $103,107
Shelton: $81,230
Beacon Falls: $76,620
Seymour: $70,534

New Haven County: $62,497
All are well above the median.
Shelton is FFC. I was referring to Derby, Ansonia, Naugatuck, Waterbury

Old 01-28-2013, 11:22 AM

11,040 posts, read 13,457,476 times
Quote:
Dude, that's a recipe for disaster. Be careful.

You might be better off negotiating a rate at an extended stay hotel while you look around.
Why is it a recipe for disaster? We're not going to be dating or anything lol. It's purely platonic roommates. People do it all the time. The best I could get at an extended stay hotel is like $35 a day. But $500 a month boils down to just $17 a day. However, if the guy is that bad to live with, I can certainly move into some other apartment on my own down there. No big deal. But if we get along well, then it would be a great plus to have a companion who can help assimilate me into the area.

Old 01-28-2013, 11:26 AM
PDF

11,386 posts, read 9,930,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Why is it a recipe for disaster? We're not going to be dating or anything lol. It's purely platonic roommates. People do it all the time. The best I could get at an extended stay hotel is like $35 a day. But $500 a month boils down to just $17 a day. However, if the guy is that bad to live with, I can certainly move into some other apartment on my own down there. No big deal. But if we get along well, then it would be a great plus to have a companion who can help assimilate me into the area.
I won't say it's a bad choice flat-out, but how did you meet this guy? I'm moving within a few weeks and will be looking for a room share, but I would never agree to renting a room without meeting the person first.

Well, I hope you actually do this and don't have something that changes your mind. Congrats.

Old 01-28-2013, 11:29 AM

11,040 posts, read 13,457,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
I won't say it's a bad choice flat-out, but how did you meet this guy? I'm moving within a few weeks and will be looking for a room share, but I would never agree to renting a room without meeting the person first.

Well, I hope you actually do this and don't have something that changes your mind. Congrats.
I've been talking with the guy over the internet for a week now. Obviously we saw pictures of each other. It's 2013 for crying out loud. What I will do, is drive down there and meet him and check out his house. If it's good, then I'll settle there. If it sucks, then I'll just stay in a hotel briefly until I find my own place. If I can't find a place for myself, then I'll just drive back up to CT and live with parents again. If that doesn't work out, then I'll just jump off a bridge.

Old 01-28-2013, 11:38 AM

8,780 posts, read 16,308,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
$5,000 is not that statistically significant. Waterbury and the valley towns bring New Haven's average down, more than New Britain and Manchester bring Hartford's down. They both have affluent towns. The shoreline towns in New Haven county have more expensive real estate than just about anywhere in Hartford county.

It's not such a black and white comparison.
Quote:
That couldn't be further from the truth.

Median household income:
Oxford: $103,107
Shelton: $81,230
Beacon Falls: $76,620
Seymour: $70,534

New Haven County: $62,497
All are well above the median.
Not worth debating....

If anything, the numbers illustrate how disparate conditions are in Hartford County(i.e.: "Two Connecticut's"). There's more linearity in the numbers in New Haven County.

Old 01-28-2013, 11:41 AM

4,092 posts, read 2,958,193 times
E
Quote:
I've been talking with the guy over the internet for a week now. Obviously we saw pictures of each other. It's 2013 for crying out loud. What I will do, is drive down there and meet him and check out his house. If it's good, then I'll settle there. If it sucks, then I'll just stay in a hotel briefly until I find my own place. If I can't find a place for myself, then I'll just drive back up to CT and live with parents again. If that doesn't work out, then I'll just jump off a bridge.
That sounds like a good plan. How much money are you taking?

Old 01-28-2013, 11:41 AM

8,780 posts, read 16,308,370 times
Quote:
What I will do, is drive down there and meet him and check out his house. If it's good, then I'll settle there.

Quote:
If it sucks, then I'll just stay in a hotel briefly until I find my own place.

Quote:
If I can't find a place for myself, then I'll just drive back up to CT and live with parents again.

Quote:
If that doesn't work out, then I'll just jump off a bridge.

Old 01-28-2013, 11:48 AM

1,934 posts, read 3,185,862 times
Quote:
Wow, this sounds sketchy to me; you'd better be careful. Did you meet this guy on Craigslist? I hear thats where all the freaks look for prey...

Old 01-28-2013, 11:49 AM

14,829 posts, read 18,083,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
Not worth debating....

If anything, the numbers illustrate how disparate conditions are in Hartford County(i.e.: "Two Connecticut's"). There's more linearity in the numbers in New Haven County.
The 2 Connecticuts absolutely exists in both counties.

Madison/Meriden, Woodbridge/New Haven, Oxford/Waterbury, Guilford/West Haven. And so on.

Old 01-28-2013, 11:51 AM

15,809 posts, read 22,108,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
Not worth debating....

Very true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut