U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 11:07 AM

8,780 posts, read 16,246,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
The 2 Connecticuts absolutely exists in both counties.

Madison/Meriden, Woodbridge/New Haven, Oxford/Waterbury, Guilford/West Haven. And so on.
I think it exists in most, if not all counties actually. But, when you look at the sizable disparity between Hartford and New Haven for median income, and then see that Hartford County still winds up having a higher median than NHC, it's eye opening.

Old 01-28-2013, 12:19 PM
PDF

11,386 posts, read 9,855,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I've been talking with the guy over the internet for a week now. Obviously we saw pictures of each other. It's 2013 for crying out loud. What I will do, is drive down there and meet him and check out his house. If it's good, then I'll settle there. If it sucks, then I'll just stay in a hotel briefly until I find my own place. If I can't find a place for myself, then I'll just drive back up to CT and live with parents again. If that doesn't work out, then I'll just jump off a bridge.
Good. I hope it works out for you. I was giving you a hard time, but only because you were nitpicking everything! I would love to take a trip to Charlotte sometime soon, it is one of the great upcoming cities that I can see. But alas, I move to Los Angeles in 3 weeks.

Old 01-28-2013, 12:57 PM

4,787 posts, read 8,757,843 times
Unfortunately, Nep, life may work out differently than you think. Your plan is to find the perfect rental, then find a job. However, may places won't rent to people unless they can show pay stubs and have a provable income three times the monthly rent amount. Not all, but many and especially those places run by management groups.

So you may have to stay with your acquaintance or at an extended stay motel, find a job first, then find housing. Or you may have to grab what will let you rent , find a job and then move to a more ideal place down the road. Just put the idea of going home to mom and dad out of your head. Give the move a chance, don't find excuses why it won't work. You're not going to be totally in control of the ways of the rental world. Good luck

Old 01-28-2013, 01:26 PM

11,035 posts, read 13,371,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willow wind View Post
Unfortunately, Nep, life may work out differently than you think. Your plan is to find the perfect rental, then find a job. However, may places won't rent to people unless they can show pay stubs and have a provable income three times the monthly rent amount. Not all, but many and especially those places run by management groups.

So you may have to stay with your acquaintance or at an extended stay motel, find a job first, then find housing. Or you may have to grab what will let you rent , find a job and then move to a more ideal place down the road. Just put the idea of going home to mom and dad out of your head. Give the move a chance, don't find excuses why it won't work. You're not going to be totally in control of the ways of the rental world. Good luck
I am going to give it a shot. I'm optimistic about it actually. It seems workable and realistic. I'm anticipating that it will take time to adjust, and I will give it the time it deserves. Other people often move from New England to the south and expect everything to be perfect and have the good things that they had back home. Instead, I'm realizing that the few good things about CT will not be present in NC. But I also realize that many bad things about CT will not be present in NC. So I will just have to make the best of it. Plus, I think it will be good for my career development. I'll actually be motived to move forward with life again, for once.

Old 01-28-2013, 01:40 PM

9,379 posts, read 8,449,115 times
Quote:
I am going to give it a shot. I'm optimistic about it actually. It seems workable and realistic. I'm anticipating that it will take time to adjust, and I will give it the time it deserves. Other people often move from New England to the south and expect everything to be perfect and have the good things that they had back home. Instead, I'm realizing that the few good things about CT will not be present in NC. But I also realize that many bad things about CT will not be present in NC. So I will just have to make the best of it. Plus, I think it will be good for my career development. I'll actually be motived to move forward with life again, for once.
I just hope you can find work. Charlotte is one of the hardest places to find work out there. Lots of people like you moving in, jobs aren't though .. best of luck hopefully you will land on your feet there..

Old 01-28-2013, 01:41 PM

8,832 posts, read 14,237,793 times
Again, good luck!

Old 01-28-2013, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
I just hope you can find work. Charlotte is one of the hardest places to find work out there. Lots of people like you moving in, jobs aren't though .. best of luck hopefully you will land on your feet there..
Well, according to indeed.com, the job market competition in Charlotte is isn't nearly as bad as many other U.S. cities. There are places that are WAY worse, such as southeast FL, San Diego, etc. I just feel good about it though, based on past experience finding work...I always seem to beat out the competition, because my resume is a shining beacon and my master's degree and experience with major international companies. Here is an example of a quote from an e-mail recently sent to me from a recruiter:

"I am sure you get a lot of calls from folks in my industry as your background does look excellent so I thought it may be better to reach out to you through email rather than calling you at the office."

Of course, I deleted the e-mail, since I do not wish to stay in greater Hartford.

Old 01-28-2013, 04:05 PM

9,379 posts, read 8,449,115 times
Quote:
Well, according to indeed.com, the job market competition in Charlotte is isn't nearly as bad as many other U.S. cities. There are places that are WAY worse, such as southeast FL, San Diego, etc. I just feel good about it though, based on past experience finding work...I always seem to beat out the competition, because my resume is a shining beacon and my master's degree and experience with major international companies. Here is an example of a quote from an e-mail recently sent to me from a recruiter:

"I am sure you get a lot of calls from folks in my industry as your background does look excellent so I thought it may be better to reach out to you through email rather than calling you at the office."

Of course, I deleted the e-mail, since I do not wish to stay in greater Hartford.
Well true about Florida. Thats good you feel confident. Goes a long way. I just know from living there 5 years there are alot of people out of work ... One bit of advice. I think you should try to live in uptown. They call downtown uptown. I think that is a best bet for meeting people and getting a good feel for where you ultimately would want to live.

Old 01-28-2013, 04:19 PM

18,677 posts, read 16,441,833 times
Quote:

Good luck. If you have good experience with Ct recruiters whose firms have a presence in Charlotte, I'd contact the Ct people, and ask them to contact Charlotte staff on your behalf. Then, follow that up by contacting Charlotte staff yourself.

Especially true if you were placed by Ct staff.

The recruiting version of networking.

Old 01-28-2013, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Good luck. If you have good experience with Ct recruiters whose firms have a presence in Charlotte, I'd contact the Ct people, and ask them to contact Charlotte staff on your behalf. Then, follow that up by contacting Charlotte staff yourself.

Especially true if you were placed by Ct staff.

The recruiting version of networking.
All I have to do is change my LinkedIn profile location from "Hartford, CT" to "Charlotte, NC." That alone will cause my profile to be seen in search results when recruiters search for me. I'm a very desirable client and recruiters LOVE to work with me, because my resume, communication skills and interviewing skills are superb.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut