U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 01-28-2013, 05:56 PM
 
338 posts, read 452,427 times
Reputation: 661

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
All I have to do is change my LinkedIn profile location from "Hartford, CT" to "Charlotte, NC." That alone will cause my profile to be seen in search results when recruiters search for me. I'm a very desirable client and recruiters LOVE to work with me, because my resume, communication skills and interviewing skills are superb.
Should be interesting when they ask you why you left your previous employer back in November and were unemployed since. Didn't you quit your 9-5 job for some dumb reason? Definitely a red flag for me if I was interviewing you.

 
Old 01-28-2013, 05:58 PM
 
9,422 posts, read 8,497,778 times
Reputation: 5569
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
All I have to do is change my LinkedIn profile location from "Hartford, CT" to "Charlotte, NC." That alone will cause my profile to be seen in search results when recruiters search for me. I'm a very desirable client and recruiters LOVE to work with me, because my resume, communication skills and interviewing skills are superb.
Heh..who are we kidding here...I give you a year and you are gonna be hating Charlotte worse than Connecticut..Charlotte is NOT utopia...trust me on that
 
Old 01-28-2013, 07:48 PM
 
Location: Connecticut
24,757 posts, read 40,368,739 times
Reputation: 7037
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I am going to give it a shot. I'm optimistic about it actually. It seems workable and realistic. I'm anticipating that it will take time to adjust, and I will give it the time it deserves. Other people often move from New England to the south and expect everything to be perfect and have the good things that they had back home. Instead, I'm realizing that the few good things about CT will not be present in NC. But I also realize that many bad things about CT will not be present in NC. So I will just have to make the best of it. Plus, I think it will be good for my career development. I'll actually be motived to move forward with life again, for once.
Actually I think you will realize that there are more than "a few" good things about Connecticut and that the "many bad" things are also present where you are moving. Good luck, Jay
 
Old 01-28-2013, 07:54 PM
 
Location: Jacksonville, FL
11,040 posts, read 13,457,476 times
Reputation: 6770
Quote:
Originally Posted by UconnHusky1 View Post
Should be interesting when they ask you why you left your previous employer back in November and were unemployed since. Didn't you quit your 9-5 job for some dumb reason? Definitely a red flag for me if I was interviewing you.
I quit the job for a variety of reasons. Most importantly, I was being abused by management on a daily basis and everyone else in the department noticed it. It was affecting my health and stressing me out. I had to end it. I also had some health issues to tend to as well, and the job was getting in the way. It's not a big deal. Every single job I have ever gotten, I got while NOT being employed for at least 2 months. I have never gone immediately from one job to another. And recruiters and employers still have interest in me, because my resume and interviewing skills are amazing.
 
Old 01-28-2013, 07:59 PM
 
Location: Jacksonville, FL
11,040 posts, read 13,457,476 times
Reputation: 6770
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Actually I think you will realize that there are more than "a few" good things about Connecticut and that the "many bad" things are also present where you are moving. Good luck, Jay
Your comments are obviously geared in favor of CT...I can see the positive spin on there. I think you need to understand that CT is not a good place for young people and singles. It is a great place for families and married couples.

Connecticut is especially a black hole for single gay men aged 25-35. Even if everything else was great about CT, that reason alone is enough for me to not want to come back. If I was partnered/married, then we can talk...
 
Old 01-28-2013, 08:08 PM
 
261 posts, read 329,081 times
Reputation: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
All I have to do is change my LinkedIn profile location from "Hartford, CT" to "Charlotte, NC." That alone will cause my profile to be seen in search results when recruiters search for me. I'm a very desirable client and recruiters LOVE to work with me, because my resume, communication skills and interviewing skills are superb.
If Charlotte is anything like Atlanta, it all depends on who you know. You might have a great resume, but if you did not go to school there or do not have local connections, good luck. For your sake, hopefully Charlotte is very different. The suggestion to try to network using CT recruiters in Charlotte is a great one.
 
Old 01-28-2013, 09:03 PM
 
3,720 posts, read 4,457,142 times
Reputation: 4741
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Okay, I'm gonna pass up on New Haven for sure and just go to Charlotte! I feel very comfortable doing it, especially because I have a cheap housing solution once I get there. Then I just have to worry about finding a job, which won't be a big problem I hope, with my excellent resume, experience and background of working in NYC and greater Hartford. I know Charlotte won't be a perfect place and it will take some time to adjust to a somewhat different culture (now that it apparently is overpopulated with ex-New Yorkers lol). But I think the climate is great, scenery, outdoor activities, cost of living, job oppourtunities and plenty of young people and gays. And with all the extra money I'll have, I can visit family more often in CT!

I will be living in Indian Land, SC, which is just 19 miles south of the urban core of Charlotte. I will be living in a house built in 2011 in a new subdivision for just $500 a month with some random gay guy. But hey, it's only temporary until I get a job

I am planning to head down on Wed
I look forward to reading your threads in the Charlotte forum. Best of luck to you and have a safe trip down.
 
Old 01-28-2013, 09:07 PM
 
Location: Jacksonville, FL
11,040 posts, read 13,457,476 times
Reputation: 6770
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esperanita View Post
If Charlotte is anything like Atlanta, it all depends on who you know. You might have a great resume, but if you did not go to school there or do not have local connections, good luck. For your sake, hopefully Charlotte is very different. The suggestion to try to network using CT recruiters in Charlotte is a great one.
That's baloney. I know people who have gotten jobs there that aren't from there or didn't know anyone else in the area. Charlotte is a very transient city. Connecticut is not transient at all. It's very provincial and mostly comprised of people who have lived here for generations. Just look at the statistics. In the year 2013, the mentality of hiring someone "who" you know over someone based on "what" they know is being increasingly minimized. For example, in my profession (Accounting), virtually everyone in the department that I left two months ago was hired through a recruitment agency. Big modern day corporations like to do it this way. However, I could see your point if you are talking about small businesses or exclusively local businesses. Major corporations are headquartered in Charlotte, such as Bank of America, Chiquita and Duke Energy, the largest utility in the U.S. With thousands of employees necessary to operate the business in a going concern manner, they do not have time to hire people based on who knows who, in most cases. They want qualified people at the end of the day, such as me.
 
Old 01-28-2013, 11:10 PM
 
725 posts, read 1,792,709 times
Reputation: 394
This has been said over the years (and maybe already in this thread), and so possibly I'm just a barnacle for chiming in here in 2013, but Connecticut has long been a leading example for income disparity. Urban centers ridden with extreme poverty and crime next to suburban paradises... It is not a new thing.
 
Old 01-29-2013, 02:06 AM
 
15 posts, read 11,138 times
Reputation: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Your comments are obviously geared in favor of CT...I can see the positive spin on there. I think you need to understand that CT is not a good place for young people and singles. It is a great place for families and married couples.

Connecticut is especially a black hole for single gay men aged 25-35. Even if everything else was great about CT, that reason alone is enough for me to not want to come back. If I was partnered/married, then we can talk...
Very true, CT sucks if you're young and single...you're selection is getting a girl(if you're a man) who's got kids, might be a lesbian(nothing wrong with that but I'm a straight male looking for a straight girl), or is already taken. The single ones are the one who are home on a friday becuase there aren't any available men in CT. Boston is different, so is NYC. Whoever talks positively about CT is just disillusioned or is a native of CT....I'm betting on the latter rather than the former.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top