U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2013, 05:11 AM

97 posts, read 117,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Good. I hope it works out for you. I was giving you a hard time, but only because you were nitpicking everything! I would love to take a trip to Charlotte sometime soon, it is one of the great upcoming cities that I can see. But alas, I move to Los Angeles in 3 weeks.
Trust me, you are not missing anything by not visiting Charlotte. It's so sterile and boring. The religious and racial politics are only overshadowed by hard core conservative/tea party politics. There's an anti-intellectualism in the entire South (even in the bigger cities like Charlotte and Atlanta).

And living 19 miles south of Charlotte in SC? I've driven thru there many times on I-85 on my way from Atlanta to NY. I don't think Nep has any idea what he's about to get into.

I know everyone is encouraging him to take a leap of faith, but I would pick another city (say in rural California or Maine or Minnesota), just not anything south of Richmond.

Please Nep. Consider this.

Old 01-29-2013, 05:59 AM

1,930 posts, read 3,175,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
they do not have time to hire people based on who knows who, in most cases. They want qualified people at the end of the day, such as me.

hahaha this is funny. I work for the second largest medical device manufacturer in the world; we are always asked who do we know looking for a job or would like to work for us before positions are posted to the outside. It's the way things work dude.

Old 01-29-2013, 06:27 AM

3,161 posts, read 7,888,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetto View Post
hahaha this is funny. I work for the second largest medical device manufacturer in the world; we are always asked who do we know looking for a job or would like to work for us before positions are posted to the outside. It's the way things work dude.
I agree with tetto. The NY Times just had an article about this very subject yesterday:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/28/bu...anted=all&_r=0

Old 01-29-2013, 07:22 AM

4,058 posts, read 2,934,558 times
I don't think this is a black or white answer. When I worked for Skanska many years ago, they would pay $ 500 after 6 months employment for any hiree referral. They also hired people thru headhunters. If OP has had good experience via headhunters and/or ads, then what are we disagreeing with him for?

Moving out to the boondocks of NC -- I was probably wrong. Nep may need to join a local evangelical church, go to therapy for his homosexuality, or Sheriff might not let him in town!!!

Old 01-29-2013, 07:53 AM

14,730 posts, read 17,960,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mels View Post
I agree with tetto. The NY Times just had an article about this very subject yesterday:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/28/bu...anted=all&_r=0
That's how we work here. Unless someone comes in with an absolutely amazing body of work, we hire people we know or move people up internally.

Old 01-29-2013, 08:06 AM

11,038 posts, read 13,383,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
That's how we work here. Unless someone comes in with an absolutely amazing body of work, we hire people we know or move people up internally.
Honestly, I have never witnessed that in large corporations. Large corporations use headhunters more often than not, especially in the accounting field. I NEVER got a job based on someone simply knowing me. I always landed a job through a recruiter. Same with most of my coworkers. Bottom line is that I CAN land a job without knowing anyone already. I've done it many times.

Old 01-29-2013, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Honestly, I have never witnessed that in large corporations. Large corporations use headhunters more often than not, especially in the accounting field. I NEVER got a job based on someone simply knowing me. I always landed a job through a recruiter. Same with most of my coworkers. Bottom line is that I CAN land a job without knowing anyone already. I've done it many times.
We have a whole incentive program built around it. If you can get the people in and they survive their 30 days (not a problem) and depending on the level they come in at, theres real money available. A Sr level engineer that I reference makes it past probation, I get a check for $1000. The higher the level, the more the bonus.

Old 01-29-2013, 09:12 AM

Quote:
We have 1300 employees and are owned by a large public company, with several HR people dedicated to recruiting. We still prefer to hire people we know have a good reputation. Being large doesn't change that.

Old 01-29-2013, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetto View Post
We have a whole incentive program built around it. If you can get the people in and they survive their 30 days (not a problem) and depending on the level they come in at, theres real money available. A Sr level engineer that I reference makes it past probation, I get a check for $1000. The higher the level, the more the bonus.
Same, except it's 90 days and we get $2500.

Old 01-29-2013, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Same, except it's 90 days and we get $2500.
It's a good system to motivate you to recommend quality people that you can vouch for. Works for me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut