Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2013, 10:22 PM

370 posts, read 608,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Secondly, I Let's make a bet that by the time I am 31 years old, my life will be in great order, I will have stellar financial stability, be happy with where I live and what I do. I'm sure I'll still be on this forum by then
At 31 you will be living with your mommy and complaining weekly on this forum about:

- Your new stressful job in FF county
- Lack of a gay population in CT
- Traffic in FF county
- Home prices in CT
- Weather in CT
- Living with parents at 31
- Leaving NC too soon

Old 02-16-2013, 10:57 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,937,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willow wind View Post
Well, Nep at least you made an attempt at response, some of which seems to be cut and pasted out of a resume. However, your response is really summed up in one word -

" Puffery"

I highly doubt there is a single person reading this thread who has any jealousy over your travels or your life. Most of us are already highly traveled, most of us have lived in various other places than where we are now. You are not unique or special in that regard, much as you'd like to think you are. You may be trying to convince yourself that you have a game plan, but I for one, sure haven't seen any of it in anything you've ever posted. All I've seen is massive confusion. You're sure going to need some good luck and I hope it comes your way. You need lots of better planning too but that you have to figure out on your own.
I already have a defined game plan. I repeated it in this thread over the past several days. Here is the plan, loud and clear:

I will actively seek employment here in the Charlotte area through the end of February. If I do not secure employment by then, I will move back in with my parents in CT, due to inability to continue living in Charlotte with no income. If I do move back to CT with parents, I will actively seek employment in various cities within a 100-mile radius of Hartford (excluding NYC and Boston), with an emphasis on Fairfield county and New Haven county.

It's not that confusing of a plan. Sorry if I have confused you to date, but that's my plan going forward. It's simple.

As far as my travels...there are many people who have not had the opportunity to live in NYC and travel the U.S. as extensively as I did. Many people don't care or desire those things, either. But many people do. I have been to 37 states and I'm proud of it. Many people I know in real life wish they could have lived in NYC or wish they could have traveled as much as I did. I don't want people to be jealous of it. I just happen to be proud of it and glad I did it at a young age. What's wrong with that?

I thought you were one of the more supportive people in this thread. Seems like everyone's goal in this thread is to attack and make fun of me and tell me to "grow up," etc. All I wanted to do in this thread is share the experience of my journey to find the right place to settle down and find work. Christ.

Old 02-17-2013, 05:01 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,893,696 times
Quote:

I'm not going on my fourth job in five years. I'm going on my fourth job in seven years. It's common for people under 30 years old to change jobs often, anyway.
That is simply not true. And with your track record, a prospective employer is going to think twice about hiring you, because employers prefer someone with stability. They don't want to have to go through the process of rehiring and retraining someone else in a year or two because you have moved on again.

Old 02-17-2013, 05:37 AM

4,537 posts, read 6,795,938 times
If you want to live in Charlotte then just go for it and grab a part-time job or two nights to slow the erosion of your savings safety net while you look for full-time employment. There has got to be many available rooms for rent in or around the area.

However, it appears to me that you may be suffering from depression and no new job or change of location is likely to improve your outlook unless you address the source of your depression. In fact, moving away from your family and friends may worsen the condition.

Old 02-17-2013, 05:56 AM

1,289 posts, read 1,973,706 times
Quote:
Most people just talk about relocating, but never take action.
^^^ Look in the mirror!

Old 02-17-2013, 07:23 AM

8,777 posts, read 19,852,893 times
Have we lost sight of the fact that this thread really doesn't have anything to do with CT at this point? Close it, or move it to Relationships or somewhere else.

Old 02-17-2013, 07:38 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,937,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
That is simply not true. And with your track record, a prospective employer is going to think twice about hiring you, because employers prefer someone with stability. They don't want to have to go through the process of rehiring and retraining someone else in a year or two because you have moved on again.
Yes it IS true. Many accounting friends of mine are my same age and are already in their fourth job. Employers value stability yes, but they also value a diverse background in different industries. You guys are predicting nothing but gloom and doom for me, when in fact the opposite is happening. I already have multiple recruiters contacting me with opportunities that I'm well qualified for. They LIKE my job history and are willing to work with me. You are all simply wrong.

Old 02-17-2013, 08:37 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,893,696 times
Quote:
You are all simply wrong.
I can't quite decide how to respond to that. lol

Old 02-17-2013, 08:40 AM

3,349 posts, read 4,165,458 times
Quote:
Yes it IS true. Many accounting friends of mine are my same age and are already in their fourth job. Employers value stability yes, but they also value a diverse background in different industries. You guys are predicting nothing but gloom and doom for me, when in fact the opposite is happening. I already have multiple recruiters contacting me with opportunities that I'm well qualified for. They LIKE my job history and are willing to work with me. You are all simply wrong.
If they do like your job history what is the problem in Charlotte? There should be a job fair just for you!

Old 02-17-2013, 08:46 AM

4,787 posts, read 11,754,293 times
Nep, I have tried to be supportive of your relocating. But you're not relocating ! You refuse to relocate. You're on your way back to Granby. To be looking for a job within a 100 mile radius of Granby is not relocation, it's just a local job hunt. That is because you've already crossed all those areas off your wish list of what you seek in life. They're nothing what you want as far as gay life, climate, home affordability, etc.

You've got a really bad case of what's called "failure to launch" ( can't truly get out and stay out of the parental house) or being a " boomerang kid" ( same thing- keep going back home ).

For whatever reasons, you're really not ready mentally or emotionally to fully relocate to those places that more truly suit you, like Charlotte. Relocating means staying put and putting down roots, not trying it for a year and then going back to where you started. So be it. At this point in time you're probably best off just looking in the New Haven area, which at least has some gay night life . Otherwise you'll wind up in Albany or something.

As others have suggested, try to get some counseling. You're book learning smart, but you have got other issues that are going to prevent you from moving forward with what you want in life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut