U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2013, 01:12 PM

174 posts, read 243,844 times

Advertisements

Ok. So I've read a few posts on downtown Stamford and Washington boulevard seems to be the safety boundary (leave east of it don't live west), but how about living on wash blvd itself? Is it safe? I've seen some apts there that look pretty nice. I saw a place on wash and north street that looked nice but heard about a homeless shelter around the corner and panhandlers that hang out near the cemetery.is that area alright?
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2013, 02:09 PM

4,771 posts, read 7,490,512 times
Even west of the boulevard its quite safe. Its only that crime tends to be higher there than in most areas of the city. Remember that Stamford is not a dangerous city at all and considering it is a small city, this means that you are quite safe even in the 'dangerous' areas.

The biggest issue west of the boulevard is that the neighborhoods are not too nice or neat looking, although they look great considering they are suppose to be the 'ghettoes' of the city. Unlike real ghettoes elsewhere, you will hardly see a dilapidated or boarded up house and there is hardly any graffiti. The whole West Side is slowly going through a gentrification process. They already knocked down one of the public housing buildings near the hospital, with the rest of the complex to be knocked down within the next few weeks. This is a sign of things to come to the area.

There are also many new residential complexes sprinkled through out the neighborhood that are causing much positive change in terms of looks and feel. All the major parks in the neighborhood appear to have been redone and are now quite attractive. The Jackie Robinson Park on West Main Street was finished a few months ago and looks excellent. I'm waiting for the weather to warm up and the trees to bloom before I photograph the park.

Anyway, the boulevard tends to be highly congested through out the week and very noisy. Ambulances and fire trucks use the boulevard to get to where ever they are going and that adds to the noise. Lets not forget the police too. I'm quite sure hearing sirens along the boulevard is an everyday affair.

As for safety, you're quite safe pretty much everywhere in the city, even in the relatively 'dangerous' parts.

One big plus about the boulevard is that it is the western boundary of downtown, so you can actually reach anywhere in the city center by walking, which is quite nice.

Old 01-27-2013, 06:24 PM

2 posts, read 3,539 times
Default Moving to Stamford, safety on Washington Blvd

I am moving to Stamford and am looking for a reasonably priced, one bedroom apartment with the usual amenities offered by large complexes. I viewed the Stamford Corners apartments today and liked them, though I am concerned about the location. I found that there is a homeless shelter on Franklin St. right from Stamford Corners.

Can anyone tell me about the crime and safety on Washington? Would I be safe to walk alone to and from the apartment? Are there many break-ins? Is Washington Blvd a noisy street?

Any information, especially from current residents would be greatly appreciated as I continue my search for an apartment.

Best Wishes!

Old 01-27-2013, 08:06 PM

4,771 posts, read 7,490,512 times
Here you go: Washington boulevard

That thread was created a few days ago.

Good luck!

Old 01-28-2013, 06:23 AM

2 posts, read 3,539 times
I am also moving to Stamford and am looking for an apartment. I liked Stamford Corners but found on apartmentratings.com a few posts about crime and safety issues due to the homeless shelter on Franklin St. I found apartmentratings.com to be very helpful. Washington Blvd does seem to have more of an industrial feel than the rest of Downtown. Have you found any other helpful information on Washington Blvd? Good luck in your search!

Old 01-28-2013, 08:10 AM

174 posts, read 243,844 times
Hey. We're in exactly the same boat. My best recommendation would be stay near by (ie Stamford Suites) for a night and just walk around the neighborhood to get a vibe. Let me know how it goes...

Old 01-28-2013, 12:44 PM

24,566 posts, read 40,120,453 times
Because there is another thread on this same subject, I am going to merge the two together. JayCT, Moderator
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut