U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 10:05 AM

582 posts, read 1,012,278 times

Advertisements

They both have sidewalks on the "busiest" streets. There are probably more sidewalks in OG because there's more traffic there (people going to Sound Beach Ave to eat or shop, or go to the beach). There's no sidewalk on Shore Rd, the street leading into the beach -- it's actually a pretty narrow causeway. A lot of people ride to the beach though, so it's very common to see families biking in (single file). Take a drive there, you'll see what I mean.

Tolerance for noise is very subjective. Most people feel that living near the train and not having to deal with getting a parking pass is well worth the occassional train horn. The rails are electric, so the trains are pretty quiet, not like you'll hear freight trains rolling through all night. Unless you're actually right on the tracks/next to the parking lot, it's a non-issue for most people (but again, it's subjective).

Noise from I95 is another story -- some streets are in close proximity to the thruway, and that can get noisy. If you're getting close to choosing a house but worry about noise, drive over one night and park out front with the windows down - see if it bothers you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2013, 09:01 PM

22 posts, read 36,363 times
thank you. how would you compare riverside to, say bronxville? one is a part of a larger town and a community, the other is probably a tighter knit. are there any obvious pros and cons that one can easily point out: school, town, society, activities, lifestyle?

Old 02-03-2013, 06:45 PM

31 posts, read 22,553 times
I've live in town now for 14 years, a few points if your going to move here. Backround, I moved from NY, got married here, kids in school, both public and private school, joined overprice country club. Wife does the Jr league, boy scouts girl scouts etc etc A few points 1) You would be hard pressed to find a better town to raise a family anywhere 2) Most people I've met are low key about most everthing 3) There will always be someone with more money then you so forget about trying to show off. 3) There are only three types of cars allowed, Mercedes ( Either GL, C class or ML, S class to much of a show off) Porsche SUV or Volvo. 4) You must wear a baseball cap while driving your sports car ( Porsche 997 or Maserati, 5) If your wife doesn't have blond hair, get some. 6) If you have young kids there new names are "Sport" 7) You love golf or working out * If over 45 just golf 8) YOU NEVER talk about money..Never 9) When you met someone that lives in Stamford it will never be just Stamford it will ALWAYS be NORTH Stamford, followed by "We could have purchased in Greenwich if we wanted to" Just don't say a word on that 10) Within a year your blood pressure will drop just by moving out of N.Y plus you will dress better. 11) Go to some fundraisers you will have a nice time 12) Join a club if you could... But the most important point..Be it Greenwich or Bridgepoint.. it really doesn't matter, what matters is what kind of role model you are. Great schools, big homes, nice cars really don't mean a thing, kids could not care less, And will not do better in school, or stay out of trouble because of an address. What they will look back on is not the town you pick... but the home you make in that town. My 2 cents

Old 02-04-2013, 06:54 PM

14,713 posts, read 17,933,283 times
If I knew nothing about Greenwich, that post would keep me away.

Old 02-05-2013, 06:22 AM

7,422 posts, read 13,264,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amda View Post
we spent time in a similar town in maryland and in the high school there seemed to have been plenty of drinking, drugs, and other such pass time activities.
as a former rebellious teen, there is TONS of this stuff going on in greenwich. but then again it's going on everywhere. the greenwich kids could just afford more/better drugs. this is only based on my personal experience, but in in the circles i ran in (punks and other countercultural types, basically) i actually saw more drug stuff going on with small town kids, cause we were all so bored, as compared to kids who lived in or had easy access to nyc or even new haven.

note: i'm in my mid 30s, so things may have changed, but i kinda doubt it.

Old 02-05-2013, 08:26 AM

582 posts, read 1,012,278 times
To say that some kids in Greenwich drink and do drugs is as pointless as saying some kids in Greenwich have red hair. In every town in America, some teens will spend time drinking, smoking pot, etc. You can't put kids in a bubble - you raise them well and hope they learn to make good choices.

To the OP re the comparison between Riverside/OG and Bronxville, the two main differences I can think of are property taxes (Westchester is very, very high) and proximity to NYC - Bronxville is closer.

Old 02-06-2013, 10:43 AM

1,031 posts, read 2,046,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amda View Post
What are Binney Park Nature trails and Rosa Hartman Park like? Is this mostly woods with trails? Any other activities there? Is it swampy and wet? Are mosquitos/bugs a big annoyance in the summer and are they evenly spread out or is there a significant amount more of them when you get closer to the water/wetlands?
Commenting on this because no one else has. Haven't been to Rosa Hartman Park but Binney Park doesn't have trails. It has paths around a large pond. The park itself is small, nestled between a heavily travelled street and a residential neighborhood. The paths are quite nice, lantern lit, and include 2 small bridges over the water. There's a gazebo, a few benches, a soccer field, and small playground in the park. The pond is home to a few turtles that residents regularly feed from the largest bridge. Lots of dog walkers are at the park year-round. Binney is the place where Old Greenwich residents go to relax, lay on the grass & get a tan, watch 4th of July fireworks, and race model sailboats. It's lovely. There's only one swampy area at one end of the pond (and that's where the mosquitoes are) but the rest of the park doesn't have a real bug problem.

The woods in Old Greenwich are located at Greenwich Point (aka Tod's Point). There are a number of nature trails that take you through the woods, but you can also choose to walk the paths that run along Long Island Sound. From one path you can see the New York City skyline. Unfortunately, all of the paths are filled with mosquitoes. You'll see less of them in the wider paths in the forest, but the bugs are brutal along the beach and muddy coastal areas. Keep an eye out for animals too; while raccoons, rabbits, & chipmunks are the most common animals you'll see, you may also run into skunks on the forest paths.

As a nature lover I'm biased & greatly prefer Old Greenwich over Riverside. Old Greenwich has a tremendous amount of nature to explore within walking/biking distance. OG also has a very strong sense of community; it is the best place in town to raise young children. There are a number of events in OG that cater to families and children. This is something that Riverside doesn't have. If you like sailing, the Old Greenwich Yacht Club should appeal to you & it's located at Tod's Point. There are a number of churches in Old Greenwich (I can think of 3 within a few blocks) but people come from NY and different CT towns to attend them; there are plenty of Old Greenwich residents that do not go to church at all. You should love it there.

Old 02-11-2013, 06:43 PM

689 posts, read 617,818 times
You would be better off in Larchmont, Rye or even certain upscale neighborhoods in New Rochelle on the water.
I am pretty sure that you will find Greenwich a little stifling; Westport would be the best choice for you on the
"Gold Coast." I have lived here in SW CT for 20 years and was transplanted from NY I know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut