Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 05:11 AM

2 posts, read 1,801 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, im currently living and working in Melbourne, Australia and will be relocating to the US before the end of the year. Work in an internet based industry, therefore there is the element of flexibility and travel and my relocation will be assisted by the company.
In the last 12 months, ive read forums and posts and tried to gather as much information as i possibly can to help me make some crucial decisions, like choosing where to go, etc...

Firstly i have decided to move to somewhere close to New York, perhaps an hours drive , more or less.
My son will commence high school next year (2014). I would sincerely appreciate any advice on the following :
1. Its me and my son so somewhere safe is important. I realise there are no guarantees, however am looking for a good area to live in, low crime or no crime . What areas or suburbs should i be looking at ?
2. Some good schools with good academic records. Currently he goes to a semi-private school, but not sure if i could afford that in the US. I must say though, i've not done much research into this matter.
Currently school is a 7 minute walk away from our home, which is terrific.

At present, we reside in Doncaster, Melbourne which is about 40 - 50 minutes drive into the city depending on traffic. Where we live though, we have everything, food outlets, libraries, catholic churches, couple of shopping malls, farmers' markets etc... its either a hop...skip..and jump away or a 10 -15 minutes drive.

Again im not fussed about having everything at the tip of my fingers. For me safe suburbs and good schools and catholic churches are important. Im not some die-hard fanatic, just a Sunday Catholic but i'd like to know im close to church.....strange but true.

We have been moving a fair bit within Australia because of my work for the last 5 years and now this massive move to the US which i believe to be our last. I'd like to settle down and throw in the anchor.
For a start we will be renting and either a house or a 2 bedroom place will be ideal.
If necessary we will do a one bedroom first and then once the move is complete and both of us are there we could start looking for a place. I guess its easier to look when we are there. Again the company will assist with necessary references or anything that is required.

I would appreciate any feedback. This is important to me as it will enable me to do the necessary groundwork in the next few months.
Thank you, one and all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2013, 05:26 AM

83,515 posts, read 75,294,816 times
1. Are you familiar with real estate prices/rentals around here.
2. You might be better off posting this in the Westchester NY forum ( http://www.city-data.com/forum/westchester-county/ ) since it's well over an hour into NYC from CT. Put it this way, 80% of the time it takes me 40 minutes to go from one town to 2 towns over in Fairfield county. Take it from someone always on the road and not someone who says traffic isnt bad.

Old 02-03-2013, 06:09 AM

2 posts, read 1,801 times
Thank you for replying. I do not know anything about real estate prices/rentals in the US. To be honest, when i knew about the relocation, i did not even have a clue on where to move in the US.
After much reading and working out my finances etc...i decided that an area close to New York would be ideal for me and my son. I was told to also look at Woodbridge, Connecticut and Seattle, Washington.
Still reading and reading .....
I am currently going by what im paying in Melbourne, Australia for a 3 bedroom house. (approximately 1700AUD a month just for rent).
This is a huge move and am trying to get as much information possible within the next 6 months. I've read a lot of posts and this is my first time writing in, so thank you again for a speedy reply.

Old 02-03-2013, 06:24 AM

1,289 posts, read 1,975,595 times
$1,700 Aussie converts to $1,768 US. That isn't going to get you a house or a 2-bed apartment in lower Fairfield County.

Old 02-03-2013, 06:42 AM

11,297 posts, read 18,885,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
1. Are you familiar with real estate prices/rentals around here.
2. You might be better off posting this in the Westchester NY forum ( http://www.city-data.com/forum/westchester-county/ ) since it's well over an hour into NYC from CT. Put it this way, 80% of the time it takes me 40 minutes to go from one town to 2 towns over in Fairfield county. Take it from someone always on the road and not someone who says traffic isnt bad.
Well, technically Greenwich and Stamford are usually less than an hour into NYC, especially by train if one doesn't need to go much beyond Grand Central. But I agree he should cross-post in the Westchester forum (and perhaps the Long Island and New Jersey forums as well).

Old 02-03-2013, 07:12 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,899,308 times
For that budget it's going to be awfully hard to find even a decent 2 bedroom apt. approximately an hour's drive from NYC, especially with low crime and good schools. You would be looking at a very small apartment in fair condition. Are you working from home, or planning to regularly drive to NYC for work? If you are working from home we could direct you to towns a little further north, your budget would stretch a little further. Greenwich would be the closest drive, good schools and low crime, but it's extremely expensive. That entire region is one of the most expensive areas of the country. To give you an idea of what kind of rentals are available, here's a list of Greenwich rentals under $2000 a month, they are typically multi-family homes:

Property Search Results in CT

Old 02-03-2013, 07:45 AM

4,787 posts, read 11,759,960 times
People don't really commute by car into NYC- most people take the train. You're moving to one of the most expensive, most traffic ridden parts of the country.

To be 45-60 minutes to NYC puts you basically into Greenwich, CT. The train is about 25 minutes to NYC, but you have to factor in the time it takes to get to the train, then getting to your office once in NYC. You might be walkable, then again you may need to take an additional subway ride. Thus, really the only feasible place to stay in CT for an hour overall 45- 60 minute commute is Greenwich.

This is one of the priciest towns in the country. Your budget if it's $ 1700-1800 won't get you a rental there.

Catholic churches are everywhere. Any place you move to the NY region whether it's CT, NY or NJ will have plenty of Catholic churches.

As already suggested post also on the Westchester county forum. Good luck

Old 02-03-2013, 09:02 AM

3,762 posts, read 5,423,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerAnthony View Post
$1,700 Aussie converts to $1,768 US. That isn't going to get you a house or a 2-bed apartment in lower Fairfield County.
It will in Stamford.

Old 02-03-2013, 09:12 AM

21,749 posts, read 28,077,952 times
You can't really drive into NYC during rush hour. Even if you're very close, it takes a long time and is very frustrating.

Greenwich and Stamford are really your most feasible options in CT. That gives you a 35-45 minute train commute.

Both places have all the amenities you're used to. Greenwich has the best schools, but Stamford's elementary schools are decent.

Old 02-03-2013, 09:38 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,899,308 times
I have a couple of friends that drive into NYC every day from Stamford, so I tend to forget that's not the norm. They have parking garages near their offices. Still, the OP's son will be going into high school, and Stamford's high schools have issues. The OP is looking for good schools, and little to no crime. It would be difficult for them to find an apartment in the better areas of Stamford with that budget.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut