Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2013, 02:08 PM

7 posts, read 35,035 times

Advertisements

Posting this in CT forums because it seems like there is more talk about Western Mass towns here than on the MA forums! Anyway, we are a young family looking for a great place to live. We have 3 young children and my husband works in Hartford. We are drawn to Longmeadow because of its school system, extensive sidewalk system (we love to walk/run/ride bikes), and its easy access to the highway. It is also a beautiful town! The drawback for us is that Longmeadow seems to be known as a snobby/pretentious community. I would love to hear from current residents' thoughts on raising a family there. I am also interested in learning about other towns between Springfield and Hartford that might work for us, knowing that schools, sidewalks and easy access to the highway are important criteria for us. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2013, 03:20 PM

2,856 posts, read 10,429,058 times
Longmeadow is a nice town. I can see it's appeal for you. I suppose it is known as an upper class town which perhaps gives people the "snobby" perception. Though, I'm sure like many CT towns, there are plenty of normal people there who are not snobby.

It is also known as having a very large Jewish community. I'm not sure of the percentage but a large number of residents are Jewish, so if you are looking for a Jewish community it should definitely be at the top of your list.

Other towns to consider between Springfield and Hartford might be West Hartford, Windsor, or South Windsor and even East Longmeadow in MA which has a more middle class feel then neighboring Longmeadow, but it's still a very nice town. Though none of these are exactly like Longmeadow they all have their pluses and minuses like any town.

What is your budget for housing? Do you prefer to live in MA as opposed to CT?

Old 01-24-2013, 05:23 PM

Thank you for your quick reply. Our budget is around $350,000. We would like 3 bedroom house. We don't need lots of land but would love to live somewhere where we could walk places-a corner store, the park, etc. We have family that lives in the Springfield area, making Mass a little more compelling. I am intrigued by West Hartford though, just not sure how far we want to be from family.

Old 01-25-2013, 08:13 AM

220 posts, read 469,706 times
I used to live in West Springfield, Mass, and of the people I knew from Longmeadow, most agreed that the snob-factor was pretty high, even given the upper-middle-class nature of the town. The people I knew all commented on how this played out in the high school, not academically but rather socially. Still, that's just a few opinions and I'm sure you would meet some great people there.

Another point is that while there are tons of sidewalks and neighborhoods, and in my opinion very cool & interesting housing (architecturally), there aren't a ton of "corner stores" to walk to. When I was there it seemed people walked/ran a lot for exercise, but still had to drive for most shopping and activities. Overall, though, a beautiful town in a great location.

I think you should keep West Hatford in the running as well.

Old 01-25-2013, 09:14 AM

837 posts, read 2,081,689 times
I have friends who live on the border of Longmeadow, East Longmeadow and Enfield, CT (right off of I-91). It seems like a very quaint neighborhood that reminds me of Greenwich -- lots of really nice homes but minus the insanely large multi-million dollar mansions. Maybe Darien is a better comparison?

My friends have a child and are expecting another one this year. They chose the area due to the superior school district and property value (which unfortunately dropped during the recession). Their home, along with their neighborhood, are all of older-construction and are modestly sized. Like Greenwich and Darien, not every home is lavish and extravagant but cost of entry is high for that area.

One of their neighbors IS annoying and snobby. E.g. the lady next door always complains about absurd things, like how my friends' bedroom ceiling light is visible from her window at night. However, that doesn't sound like the average neighbor in any neighborhood (as loonies exist no matter where you live).

krdpm is right; corner stores are few and far between. My friends have a nearby IGA that they use for basic groceries like milk. However, most of their shopping is done in nearby Enfield. Enfield has a huge shopping district with stores like Target, Stop & Shop, Costco, BestBuy, etc. Though, if you are looking to live in the northern side of Longmeadow, you may rely more on Springfield rather than Enfield.

Old 01-25-2013, 10:16 AM

34,917 posts, read 56,893,272 times
I know a couple of families that live in Longmeadow and they are not at all snobbish. They just care about getting their kids the best education possible in the Springfield area. Longmeadow is a nice upscale town and like any similar town it does have its share of snobby people. That does not mean they are all that way. If you like the town and can find a home that fits your needs there, by all means go for it. Jay

Old 01-25-2013, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KH02 View Post

Other towns to consider between Springfield and Hartford might be West Hartford, Windsor, or South Windsor and even East Longmeadow in MA which has a more middle class feel then neighboring Longmeadow, but it's still a very nice town. Though none of these are exactly like Longmeadow they all have their pluses and minuses like any town.
I am thinking it might be too much of a pain to get to the highway from East Longmeadow. Any thoughts about that?

Can you tell me more about South Windsor and Windsor? It is really important to us that there is plenty of safe places to bike, run and walk in our own neighborhood. We currently live in a suburban town, in a residential area but yet, it still doesn't always seem safe for pedestrians/bikers. Drivers just aren't careful enough!

West Hartford is still in our thoughts.

Thank you everyone for responding.

Old 01-31-2013, 01:48 PM

5,989 posts, read 6,774,520 times
We considered moving to Longmeadow and West Hartford, and ended up choosing West Hartford, largely because of the larger Jewish community. They're really quite similar - older housing stock, a substantial Jewish minority, and good schools. Housing is a little cheaper in Longmeadow. If I were in your shoes I'd choose West Hartford if your husband works in Hartford, because he will have a much easier commute, and be able to be home more time for the kids. He goes back and forth every day - you don't drive to see the relatives daily. There is a ton of stuff for kids in West Hartford. Have you seen the Leisure Services catalog? Beautiful indoor skating rinks, gorgeous indoor pool complex, nice outdoor pools, good playgrounds all over, the towns little farm park, just tons of activities for kids all over town.

Old 02-04-2013, 06:00 PM

Thank you everyone for your replies!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut