U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2013, 08:39 AM

3,138 posts, read 2,049,071 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I'm new to this forum. I searched the threads to see if there was already an answer to my question, but didn't find much outside of a retired couple asking questions about where they should move to.

I'm 32 and am finally finishing up my training as an emergency medicine doctor. I'm so very excited! I've lived/worked in the Bronx for 4 years now, and will be working in Stamford, CT, starting in July (2013).

However, I'm very undecided as to where to move to.

White Plains is a 10min drive from where I currently live, and I think it's a great city. However, I don't know if Stamford would be a better option for me.

1.For someone who is a young and single female, and ready to date and or join social groups, is one city more preferable than the other?

Does one city have a higher prevalence of young professional singles than the other? More vibrant atmosphere?

2. Because I have a mountain of medical school debt to pay off, I'm not interested in purchasing any property at this time. However, I am interested in living in a very nice (?expensive) high rise building (max rent: $2200/month).

Would living in White Plains and commuting to Stamford place me at a tax disadvantage (eg. will I be charged NYS taxes although I'll be working in Stamford)? Or would it be better monetarily speaking to both live and work in Stamford?

I've never lived in CT and am somewhat hesitant, since I've lived in NY almost all of my life. However, I'd be willing to make the move if it's more advantageous.

Your comments/advice are greatly appreciated!
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2013, 08:48 AM

14,713 posts, read 17,933,283 times
Stamford is very similar to White Plains in a lot of ways. You will not be giving anything up by living in Stamford, and there's NO reason to endure the commute from White Plains. In fact, I think I prefer Stamford in a lot of ways. Better restaurants, the downtown area has more foot traffic on weekends, lower crime.

Also, if you have a lot of debt - try being more conservative about rent. You can live in a perfectly nice 1BR apartment for $1500 a month in downtown Stamford.

Old 02-03-2013, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Stamford is very similar to White Plains in a lot of ways. You will not be giving anything up by living in Stamford, and there's NO reason to endure the commute from White Plains. In fact, I think I prefer Stamford in a lot of ways. Better restaurants, the downtown area has more foot traffic on weekends, lower crime.

Also, if you have a lot of debt - try being more conservative about rent. You can live in a perfectly nice 1BR apartment for $1500 a month in downtown Stamford.
Hi Stylo,

Thank you for your advice. I think you're right about being more conservative with my rent. Do you have any recommendations about good, less expensive (high rise) buildings to live in, in Stamford?

Old 02-03-2013, 09:00 AM

4,787 posts, read 8,752,051 times
Live in Stamford.

Population White Plains 57,000 +/-
Population Stamford 124,000 +/-

You'll like Stamford.- Yes, lots of young professionals, lots to do . If at all possible it's always best to live close to work. Although not far in distance from each other, traffic is a horror. There are times you're going to be going to work in bad weather, or called in on an emergency basis, etc. You'll appreciate living close then.

For $ 2200 you can get a new/newer apartment in a building/complex with amenities

Good luck

Old 02-03-2013, 05:41 PM

thanks to both stylo and willow wind for replying...

any additional thoughts by those of you who know more than i do about the two cities would still be appreciated.

On another note, I have an altogether different question/concern. How is the dating/social scene in Stamford?

I'm a very friendly person, but I do confess that I'm quite reserved and am not sure to how to go about finding new friends in Stamford, should I move there. I have friends, but they're mostly in NYC and the surrounding NYC borroughs.

I'd really like to keep my professional and private lives separate, and so although I'll likely make friends at work, I don't want to have them as my social support. The problem is I don't know a single soul in Stamford, or any part of Connecticut for that matter. I'm not a bar/club type of lady. So, what are my options, in terms of social settings in Stamford? How can I go about meeting new people?

Old 02-03-2013, 06:13 PM

4,771 posts, read 7,490,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erdocjolly View Post
I'm 32 and am finally finishing up my training as an emergency medicine doctor. I'm so very excited! I've lived/worked in the Bronx for 4 years now, and will be working in Stamford, CT, starting in July (2013).
Congratulations!

Quote:
White Plains is a 10min drive from where I currently live, and I think it's a great city. However, I don't know if Stamford would be a better option for me.
I'm a native of and currently live in Stamford, so maybe I can help you a little bit. I will be moving out this year, but it has nothing to do with the city or the state and everything to do with the weather.

Quote:
1.For someone who is a young and single female, and ready to date and or join social groups, is one city more preferable than the other?

Does one city have a higher prevalence of young professional singles than the other? More vibrant atmosphere?
I don't know if one city is more preferable than the other, but what I can tell you is that Stamford does offer what you are looking for. There are plenty of young professional singles in this city, in part due to the large amount of Fortune 500 headquartered either in Stamford itself or in the surrounding area. For example, the Royal Bank of Scotland and UBS Warburg banks both have their North American headquarters in Stamford. Actually, they are both across the street from each other. lol Thousands of young and wealthy professional men work in those two companies alone, and there are more large companies headquartered here, so you can just imagine the options.

Stamford, especially in the downtown district, is very vibrant. More so in the summer months, when there are plenty of live open air events and such that attract a varied public.

Quote:
2. Because I have a mountain of medical school debt to pay off, I'm not interested in purchasing any property at this time. However, I am interested in living in a very nice (?expensive) high rise building (max rent: $2200/month).
There is plenty of option in Stamford, both old stock and plenty of new stock as well. Its a matter of coming to the city and checking the places on the market. Downtown Stamford should be on your must check out places if high rise living is what you are looking for. Stamford definitely has many more options as far as high rise living is concerned, especially compared to White Plains or any other city in upstate NY or southwestern Connecticut.

Quote:
Would living in White Plains and commuting to Stamford place me at a tax disadvantage (eg. will I be charged NYS taxes although I'll be working in Stamford)? Or would it be better monetarily speaking to both live and work in Stamford?
New York has plenty more taxes (and higher rates too) than Connecticut, so it makes much more sense to live in Connecticut if taxes are much of a concern for you.

Quote:
I've never lived in CT and am somewhat hesitant, since I've lived in NY almost all of my life. However, I'd be willing to make the move if it's more advantageous.
Stamford is as faraway from NY as you can live and still claim to be within the NYC metro area. There is an express train that leaves Stamford's train station multiple times a day and makes just two stops in Manhattan, one in Harlem and the final one at Grand Central Station. So the city is within easy reach. The area also has a feel of its own, while influenced by NYC its not terribly dominated by it and I think the distance has much to do with that. There is a Connecticut feel to the place, even if for those who live further into the state, the area may feel more like New York. Its a transition zone, that's all.

Quote:
Your comments/advice are greatly appreciated!
I hope I helped a little bit. If you choose Stamford, let me give you the welcome now both to the state and the city! And if you don't choose Stamford, you are still going to be working here, so the welcome stands.

Old 02-03-2013, 08:00 PM

15,739 posts, read 21,986,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonio84 View Post
Stamford is as faraway from NY as you can live and still claim to be within the NYC metro area.
This is not true at all. The NYC metro area technically goes up to New Haven, and to someone who lives outside the region, New Haven is where the New York "feel" begins.

You have daily commuters into the city as far up as Bridgeport and Milford.

Old 02-04-2013, 08:29 AM

14,713 posts, read 17,933,283 times
Yeah, even Waterbury is considered part of the NYC metro area.

New York metropolitan area - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-04-2013, 08:56 AM

582 posts, read 1,012,278 times
Stamford is similar to White Pains in many ways - even some of the bars are the same, ie Black Bear. They both have small downtowns with lots of bars & restaurants, theaters, malls, gyms and hi-rises. If you like White Plains, you'll probably like Stamford. If you'll be working in Stamford, I'd definitely suggest living there too. Even though you don't know anyone yet, you'll meet tons of poeple at your new job, many of whom will live in the area. It's also not far from White Plains, so you can easily drive 15-20 min to see friends on a Saturday night.

You can get a nice 1 bedroom in a good, high-end building for $2,000 -- spend a day in the city exploring and visiting apartments with a realtor. Some streets to explore include Summer St, Bedford St and Atlantic Ave. You can also drive over to the Cove - an advantage Stamford has over White Plains is that it's on the water.

Old 02-04-2013, 09:34 AM

8,829 posts, read 14,231,780 times
They are both very similar. Stamford I think is a bit bigger and has more in the way of young singles, though not by much. If you were buying property, Stamford has the lower property taxes.

Regarding state income taxes, what your employer will likely do is withhold CT tax if you live in NY and then at tax time it will all even out (you would likely either owe or get a small refund from NY and get a decent refund from CT). This is what happens in my case, but it varies with employers, when my wife worked for a Fortune 500 company in Norwalk a few years ago they figured out how much of both to withhold.

Overall, taxes in CT are smaller, but you have an annual "car property tax" that can be several hundred $$$ per year (NY has one too called a "Use Tax" but "hides" it in their once-every-two-years registration, but it's a lot less than CT (for a brand new expensive vehicle it's a once every 2 years fee of about $250 and goes down from there with a cheaper or older car)).

In your shoes I'd probably pick Stamford over the two as I think it has a little more to offer a young single person, but you'll be OK in either. Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Yeah, even Waterbury is considered part of the NYC metro area.

New York metropolitan area - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I know in the last 2 decades the Census Bureau has done that with Waterbury and New Haven, but until then they were actually part of Hartford's consolidated area. I like to still think they are because unlike Danbury and Bridgeport they have always been part of Hartford's TV market, not NYC (yes, I realize that Bridgeport can easily get Ch. 8 over the air and virtually everyone in CT gets 3, 8, 20, 61, etc. on cable).

I'm guessing it was done because of the many people in those two cities who now commute to Fairfield and Westchester Counties (and sometimes even NYC!) vs. how many commute to other parts of CT.

Last edited by 7 Wishes; 02-04-2013 at 09:48 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut