U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 02-05-2013, 05:01 PM
Status: "Its beginning to look a lot like..." (set 2 days ago)
 
4,791 posts, read 7,515,262 times
Reputation: 3970

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Scorcho View Post
I don't know what motivates people to drive dangerously over the speed limit. Maybe they feel comfortable knowing they won't get pulled over, as stated above (my bold). Maybe they feel going 20 mph over the posted limit is acceptable and therefore will drive faster. That might be their comfort zone.
That's exactly why people speed. I notice a major difference in the speeds of people along Route 7 in Norwalk vs the Merritt Parkway, at least in the Greenwich-Norwalk stretch (very rarely do I go further north on the Merritt, so can't really comment how things are on a normal day beyond Norwalk.)

On Route 7 people tend to more or less follow the speed limit and I notice this because when I'm on the left lane, not many people pass me on the right. However, things change considerably on the Merritt.

Of course, Route 7 has a vicious state trooper that is constantly hunting fresh meat while the Merritt, between Greenwich and New Canaan, is a lawless stretch. In fact, I have no recollection of ever seeing a state trooper in that stretch of the Merritt and I use that parkway quite often and for many years.

On I-95 people don't really have much of a choice regarding speed, at least in the Greenwich-Norwalk stretch. Having said that, I've seen plenty of people speeding there too, but since that stretch suffers from bumper to bumper traffic, even on weekends and holidays, that sort of even things out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-05-2013, 05:04 PM
 
Location: Coastal Northeast
15,744 posts, read 22,025,925 times
Reputation: 5289
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Scorcho View Post
I belive the OP was asking for opinions on whether or not it would be a good idea on the interstates. Kidyankee, please correct me if I'm wrong.
What's your point and why did you quote Jay's post?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2013, 05:24 PM
 
346 posts, read 306,813 times
Reputation: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
What's your point and why did you quote Jay's post?
Sigh. You started the thread, I think, about raising the speed limits on the interstates. Jay seemed to think there needed some clarifying (see my bold below). Then he went on about what other people think, hence my quoting him and asking you, as the OP, to clarify, which you haven't done yet, whether or not it was on the interstates or on all roads, as Jay seemed to think people thought.

Anyway, I am opposed to raising the speed limits. I have yet to come across a non-aggressive speeder on any road, interstate or otherwise, and therefore would hate to have their aggressiveness sanctioned.

If you don't want to hear opposing opinions, I would suggest for the future that you don't ask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
The bill would not raise the speed limits on all of the roads in the state. It would just "allow" the speed limits to be raised. People think there is no process to this. The Connecticut Office of State Traffic Administration is responsible for setting speed limits and they will likely not raise them unless they are certain the speed limit is safe. Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2013, 05:31 PM
 
8,780 posts, read 16,264,774 times
Reputation: 5219
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Scorcho View Post
Sigh. You started the thread, I think, about raising the speed limits on the interstates. Jay seemed to think there needed some clarifying (see my bold below). Then he went on about what other people think, hence my quoting him and asking you, as the OP, to clarify, which you haven't done yet, whether or not it was on the interstates or on all roads, as Jay seemed to think people thought.

I'm pretty sure that 99.9% of us that heard about this proposal assumed that it meant raising just the 65-mph stretches to 75-mph.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2013, 05:39 PM
 
Location: Coastal Northeast
15,744 posts, read 22,025,925 times
Reputation: 5289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
I'm pretty sure that 99.9% of us that heard about this proposal assumed that it meant raising just the 65-mph stretches to 75-mph.
Exactly. I doubt Mr Scorcho even knew before he embarked on his cyber tirade.

And thanks, Jay, for clarifying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2013, 05:51 PM
 
6,502 posts, read 4,870,322 times
Reputation: 3584
Why bother? Anyone thats been on the roads know that at least 1/3 if not more dont even follow the speed limits. And its not like they do much to curb speeders in the first place.

And lets be honest, much of the time in the morning and afternoon on some of the major roads, its not like you can even reach the speed limit at those hours, due to traffic nonsense due to poor planned roads and absolutely horrible drivers who act like they are the only people on the road.

I wish I didnt have to drive. I hate it. I hate risking my life on roads with morons. People who will put make up on, text, watch movies, drive carelessly, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-05-2013, 06:17 PM
 
346 posts, read 306,813 times
Reputation: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
I'm pretty sure that 99.9% of us that heard about this proposal assumed that it meant raising just the 65-mph stretches to 75-mph.
That's how I read it, then Jay said something about all roads and people not thinking about processes, and I asked the OP to clarify for Jay what he meant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Exactly. I doubt Mr Scorcho even knew before he embarked on his cyber tirade.

And thanks, Jay, for clarifying.

I feel I must have missed something. I was talking about interstates, Jay said something about all roads, which I thought was absurd, and therefore asked you, kidyankee, to clarify for Jay.

Thank you for your courtesy. I haven't been on any tirade, just voicing an opinion, Mr Yankee, which you asked for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2013, 08:26 AM
 
Location: Connecticut
24,632 posts, read 40,208,466 times
Reputation: 6984
Just to clarify, right now the maximum speed limit allowed by law in the state is 65. The new law would allow speeds up to 75. My comments were only meant to clarify that this only allows the limits to be raised higher than 65. It does not mean they will be. The process I mention is that ConnDOT and OSTA will determine which sections of roads can be increased and then decide if it makes sense to do so. Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2013, 11:45 AM
 
Location: Jacksonville, FL
11,038 posts, read 13,397,779 times
Reputation: 6755
With speed limits currently set to a max of 65, I personally will drive as fast as 75 mph. However, if they increase the limits to 75, then I will simply go 85 lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-06-2013, 12:33 PM
 
Location: Live in NY State, work in CT
8,836 posts, read 14,256,851 times
Reputation: 3250
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
With speed limits currently set to a max of 65, I personally will drive as fast as 75 mph. However, if they increase the limits to 75, then I will simply go 85 lol.
I do "hold up". In 55 zones, I tend to have my cruise (when it's usable) at 63-65. But in 65 zones, I tend to have it at 70 or just under. Have never been ticketed (my only tickets were a couple for 30 mph speed traps in rural small towns that I would then go to court a year or so later and have pleaded down to a non-moving violation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top