U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2013, 01:03 PM

11,040 posts, read 13,411,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
I do "hold up". In 55 zones, I tend to have my cruise (when it's usable) at 63-65. But in 65 zones, I tend to have it at 70 or just under. Have never been ticketed (my only tickets were a couple for 30 mph speed traps in rural small towns that I would then go to court a year or so later and have pleaded down to a non-moving violation.
I never use cruise control in CT. There's just too much traffic congestion in general, and the highways curve too often and there's a lot to be alert for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2013, 01:44 PM

39 posts, read 77,033 times
I agree with one of the above postings . . CT highways have not been designed for excessive speeds. (This is not Texas.) I avoid them as it is at 55 mph. I cannot possibly imagine driving on the Merritt Parkway or I84 at 75 miles per hour. I don't think you could even attain that speed on I95 during rush hour traffic. I was hit on the Merritt at 55 mph. If the speed limit then had been 75 mph, I would not be here today writing this.

Old 02-06-2013, 01:44 PM

15,754 posts, read 22,041,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I never use cruise control in CT. There's just too much traffic congestion in general, and the highways curve too often and there's a lot to be alert for.
Same. CC is very difficult in a dense state like CT. Even during off peak times, the highways are still fairly crowded.

Old 02-06-2013, 07:13 PM

1,932 posts, read 3,179,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Same. CC is very difficult in a dense state like CT. Even during off peak times, the highways are still fairly crowded.
Actually it's quite easy to drive with CC; with all of the idiots blasting by you at 80+ I never have to do much except steer straight all the way down 91.

Old 02-06-2013, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetto View Post
Actually it's quite easy to drive with CC; with all of the idiots blasting by you at 80+ I never have to do much except steer straight all the way down 91.
I guess it depends on what speed you set it to. I'll usually set it to 70ish when I do and that's hard to maintain. Remember, there are just as many idiots going unsafely UNDER the speed limit.

Old 02-07-2013, 01:22 PM

751 posts, read 1,515,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UconnHusky1 View Post
I don't think our highway infrastructure can support a speed limit of 75 mph, especially with our poorly designed on/off ramps and very sporadic sections where the 3rd lane ends and requires merging.

In most states this speed limit is a no-brainer. I feel safer and more confident driving at speeds of 90 mph on I-5 in California than I do driving at 75 mph on I-95 or I-84 in Connecticut.
UconnHusky1's post sums up my thoughts. The on/off ramps are way too short in the Fairfield County area, so merging is dangerous if you have people whizzing by at 75mph or more. This isn't to say people don't already do so, because they do. But upping the lawful limit to 75 will mean a lot of drivers think it is OK to do 90-100mph.

Here are a few I-95 areas that I can see being very problematic. You'll see a common trend of short on/off ramps that make merging quite dangerous.
  • Exit 24 (Fairfield) Northbound: In rush hour, people won't let you enter the highway and will "crowd" the merging window. Outside of rush hour, people will zoom by and not let you enter the highway, forcing you to "drag race" as you merge into I-95.
  • Exit 38 (Milford) Northbound: Gotta love merging into I-95 from the Connector, regardless of the hour of the day.
  • Exit 44/43 (West Haven) Southbound: I don't use this on-ramp often, but it seems to be very short and a pain-in-the-#$% despite the highway re-design.
Outside of Fairfield County, I can see jerks on I-91 Northbound trying to do a last-minute-merge onto the I-84 on-ramp (where there's usually a LONG backup of cars). Imagine that jerk doing so at 75-90mph on a regular basis. Or how about the merge from I-91 into I-95, where the on-ramp consolidates from 2 lanes into 1 lane in short notice.

All in all, I feel bad for those driving less powerful cars (e.g. Hyundai Accents, Toyota Echos) since acceleration is tricky in these high-speed driving environments.

Old 02-07-2013, 05:15 PM

169 posts, read 361,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
The bill would boost maximum speed limits on "multiple lane, limited access highway" to 75 miles per hour while increasing fines by 15 percent. Speeds greater than 90 miles per hour would constitute reckless driving.

A legislative committee will hold a hearing Monday on two button topics for drivers: texting and speeding. - Courant.com

I think it's a great idea. It's actually kind of funny that some stretches of our highways are still at 55 mph. Might as well alter the law so we're not making criminals out of 95% of the population.
I, for one, don't normally drive 75mph on the highway. I normally keep it to 65mph and I find that's usually enough to keep up with traffic.

The problem is, at 75mph you have less time to react to simple maneuvers like changing lanes. People who tend to get "cut off" all the time are generally guilty of driving too fast, so when someone driving at a reasonable speed changes into their lane ahead of them, it appears to the speeding driver that he has been "cut off," while it appears to the other driver that he had plenty of space to change lanes, which he would have had the speeding driver not been covering more ground faster than him.

I have a feeling if everyone is allowed to go faster, it's only going to be the people in the passing lane going faster, and you're going to see more dangerous conditions in situations like when people try to change from the middle lane to the passing lane because the difference in speeds will be greater.

Old 02-08-2013, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoozi View Post
I, for one, don't normally drive 75mph on the highway. I normally keep it to 65mph and I find that's usually enough to keep up with traffic.

The problem is, at 75mph you have less time to react to simple maneuvers like changing lanes. People who tend to get "cut off" all the time are generally guilty of driving too fast, so when someone driving at a reasonable speed changes into their lane ahead of them, it appears to the speeding driver that he has been "cut off," while it appears to the other driver that he had plenty of space to change lanes, which he would have had the speeding driver not been covering more ground faster than him.

I have a feeling if everyone is allowed to go faster, it's only going to be the people in the passing lane going faster, and you're going to see more dangerous conditions in situations like when people try to change from the middle lane to the passing lane because the difference in speeds will be greater.
I generally agree, however, when I drive 65, I can tell who is going over 70. At that point, wait for them to pass, THEN move over. Part of the problem is even the slower drivers are impatient and have that "me first" entitlement attitude.

Old 02-09-2013, 11:11 AM

1,988 posts, read 2,310,098 times
Horrid idea to have a 75mph speed limit.

Old 02-09-2013, 02:01 PM

24,665 posts, read 40,244,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbe View Post
Horrid idea to have a 75mph speed limit.
Why? Is it better to have more than 50% of the drivers breaking the law driving over the current 65 mph speed limit? Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut