U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2013, 02:07 PM

14,783 posts, read 18,028,566 times

Advertisements

There are too many onramps/exits in general on 95. No reason to have them every 200 feet anymore. Big contributor to traffic. At the very least, ramp metering would be smart if they're not going to close exits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2013, 06:01 PM

3,256 posts, read 4,920,244 times
Aside from the fact that our entrance/exit ramps are not set up to accommodate these speeds and would result in traffic having to slow considerably to enter or exit the highway little has been mentioned about the environmental impact.

I thought we were trying to reduce our dependence on imports of foreign oil and reduce pollution? Isn't climate change a concern? The ideal speed for fuel economy is 55 to 60 mph. Increasing the speed limit to 75 mph would result in an over 20% increase in fuel consumption resulting in more fossil fuel drilling needed, more pollution, and more carbon.

IMHO it would be a bad move in the wrong direction for our country.

Old 02-09-2013, 09:43 PM

346 posts, read 307,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Why? Is it better to have more than 50% of the drivers breaking the law driving over the current 65 mph speed limit? Jay
This thinking, in my opinion, is seriously flawed.

Old 02-09-2013, 11:24 PM

24,688 posts, read 40,281,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Scorcho View Post
This thinking, in my opinion, is seriously flawed.
How? Again, here you have a large number of people breaking the law every day. These are not common criminals but normally law biding citizens who work every day and pay the taxes that5 built these highways. In other parts of the world the speed limits are much higher on roads like ours. It is provincial thinking to arbitrarily limit speeds when they are designed to accomodate much higher speeds, Jay

Old 02-10-2013, 12:57 PM

13,258 posts, read 34,745,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
How? Again, here you have a large number of people breaking the law every day. These are not common criminals but normally law biding citizens who work every day and pay the taxes that5 built these highways. In other parts of the world the speed limits are much higher on roads like ours. It is provincial thinking to arbitrarily limit speeds when they are designed to accomodate much higher speeds, Jay
The flaw in that logic, Jay, is your 2nd to last statement. In other parts of the world, there -are- no roads like ours. In parts of the world where there -are- roads like ours, the speed limits are not 75.

Old 02-10-2013, 01:00 PM

8,839 posts, read 14,275,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
The flaw in that logic, Jay, is your 2nd to last statement. In other parts of the world, there -are- no roads like ours. In parts of the world where there -are- roads like ours, the speed limits are not 75.
Actually, when we were 55/65 nationwide, the comparison to Europe was valid. But now that many states are 75mph or even 80/85, we're virtually on a par with Europe (i.e. maximum speed limit in the UK is 70, in most other European nations it's the metric equivalent of about 75-80, sometimes 80-85, even the Autobahn I believe has a speed limit of about 85 now).

Indeed if this were the West and not the Northeast, it might be the reverse argument, Oregon is the only state west of the Mississippi whose speed limit is under 70 (65 but I think a bill to make it 75 is in the works).

Old 02-10-2013, 01:11 PM

13,258 posts, read 34,745,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
Actually, when we were 55/65 nationwide, the comparison to Europe was valid. But now that many states are 75mph or even 80/85, we're virtually on a par with Europe (i.e. maximum speed limit in the UK is 70, in most other European nations it's the metric equivalent of about 75-80, sometimes 80-85, even the Autobahn I believe has a speed limit of about 85 now).
The roads are not like ours. They don't have 2 interstates merging into each other at a major downtown exit (New Haven), with another 2 interstates merging into each other at a major downtown LEFT exit (Hartford), with two interstates, several multi-lane state highways, and side exits all merging into another major downtown area (Co-op City/Hudson/Cross-Bronx), and another major interstate junction at a major downtown exit (695/95-Providence), all within 2 hours of each other, connected to each other by multiple left-lane exits and on-ramps in close proximity to each other between those major intersections.

The New York City/Hartford/Providence stretch of I-95 is not suitable for high speed limits. It wasn't built to accommodate high speed limits OR the traffic it currently has. The same amount of traffic at high speed limits, anywhere along the stretch, would result in even worse accident delays than we already have (which, as you can see from the complaint threads in the CT forum, are significant). Even on I-91, in the Meriden area where the junction to 84/691 is, with left-lane entries merging into right-lane exits going north - and the Rte 15 merge to I-91 going south - I can't imagine ANYTHING worse than that, during rush hour, if the speed limit were 75. It's hard enough merging into 65mph traffic on those exchanges. And if you say "oh well have the 75 mph limit 5 miles prior to that" then don't forget, all those people going 75 and above now have to slow down, in order to comply with the lower speed limit once they get to the exchange.

Traffic coming from the airport to Hartford, during rush hour? Or within 5 miles of Rte 9 toward Hartford? Or the Charter Oak area toward the mall? Holy crap I would never want to drive on a highway ever again.

Old 02-10-2013, 06:49 PM

46 posts, read 45,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
The bill would boost maximum speed limits on "multiple lane, limited access highway" to 75 miles per hour while increasing fines by 15 percent. Speeds greater than 90 miles per hour would constitute reckless driving.

A legislative committee will hold a hearing Monday on two button topics for drivers: texting and speeding. - Courant.com

I think it's a great idea. It's actually kind of funny that some stretches of our highways are still at 55 mph. Might as well alter the law so we're not making criminals out of 95% of the population.
What a stupid idea. Fuel economy decreases drastically over 60 m.p.h. and gasoline is a very finite resource. If anything the speed limits everywhere should be dropped to conserve fuel and make the highways safer. Leave earlier and slow down. Going faster is dangerous and false economy.

Old 02-10-2013, 07:35 PM

15,777 posts, read 22,061,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruz2012 View Post
What a stupid idea. Fuel economy decreases drastically over 60 m.p.h. and gasoline is a very finite resource. If anything the speed limits everywhere should be dropped to conserve fuel and make the highways safer. Leave earlier and slow down. Going faster is dangerous and false economy.
Hmm...it's not your call to determine how much fuel another individual should use. Are you in favor of demanding everyone drive a Prius, too?

Old 02-10-2013, 07:36 PM

15,777 posts, read 22,061,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
The roads are not like ours.
As seen daily, our roads can easily handle a strictly enforced 75 mph speed limit. Period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut