U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 02-12-2013, 05:11 AM
 
2,718 posts, read 2,488,243 times
Reputation: 1208

Advertisements

Why not have variable speed limits based on traffic and weather conditions? Lower limits when there's traffic or inclement weather, and higher limits when things are clear.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-12-2013, 06:51 AM
 
Location: In a house
13,258 posts, read 34,697,842 times
Reputation: 20198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 75 View Post
Why not have variable speed limits based on traffic and weather conditions? Lower limits when there's traffic or inclement weather, and higher limits when things are clear.
You mean like the law where we're supposed to turn on our headlights at dusk, on foggy days, and when it's raining? Y'know, that law, that when I blink my lights on the oncoming car that doesn't have his lights on, just as a reminder to turn them on (because - if he doesn't, someone might run into him because they didn't see him)...he flips me the bird and honks his horn? Laws like that?

Like I said in a previous post - our drivers aren't mature enough to handle laws like that. Even 10 stupid drivers on a highway with hundreds of cars during rush hour, can create chaos. These laws don't solve problems. They give the stupid drivers more violation tickets, they give the police more power to arrest offenders. But they don't stop accidents, they don't stop tailgating, they don't stop people driving into each other in the fog because they couldn't see them, they don't stop speeders, they don't stop morons driving UNDER the speed limit in the passing lane because they're too busy texting on their IPads to notice.

What it DOES do - is create an excuse for the State to spend another few million dollars in Committee Meetings to analyze whether or not we need the laws and higher speed limits, exactly where they should be enforced, and at exactly what times of day and under exactly what kinds of circumstances.

Pull the irresponsible, arrogant, ignorant, and stupid drivers off the road, and let the responsible drivers who are respectful of the fact that they're driving death machines, stay on them. It's stupidity that should merit a traffic ticket - not the speed you're driving.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2013, 07:51 AM
 
Location: Coastal Northeast
15,744 posts, read 22,030,672 times
Reputation: 5289
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Y'know, that law, that when I blink my lights on the oncoming car that doesn't have his lights on, just as a reminder to turn them on (because - if he doesn't, someone might run into him because they didn't see him)...he flips me the bird and honks his horn? Laws like that?
What are you talking about? There are no laws requiring you to blind someone with your headlights.

You are creating a hazard by flashing someone and you can get an infraction for it.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2013, 03:26 PM
 
Location: In a house
13,258 posts, read 34,697,842 times
Reputation: 20198
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
What are you talking about? There are no laws requiring you to blind someone with your headlights.

You are creating a hazard by flashing someone and you can get an infraction for it.
I'm not talking about flashing my hi-beams. I'm talking about blinking the lights. My lights are already ON during foggy conditions - which is required by law. When an oncoming car approaches and his lights are OFF, I fick my lights off, and then back on again, as a "hey your lights are off - turn them on, just like this" message. Which is not required, but it's a nice thing to do for people.

Not that it is relevant - that was just one example of laws that people don't respect presently - y'know, to support my opinion of why I don't think raising the speed limit is a good idea. But you want to derail by cherry-picking one example of my thread and ignore the point - not surprising, at all.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-12-2013, 03:38 PM
 
Location: The canyon (with my pistols and knife)
12,996 posts, read 17,152,354 times
Reputation: 14307
Connecticut would instantly become the most forward-thinking New England state if they raised the speed limit to 75 MPH.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2013, 07:20 AM
 
Location: Coastal Northeast
15,744 posts, read 22,030,672 times
Reputation: 5289
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
I'm not talking about flashing my hi-beams. I'm talking about blinking the lights. My lights are already ON during foggy conditions - which is required by law. When an oncoming car approaches and his lights are OFF, I fick my lights off, and then back on again, as a "hey your lights are off - turn them on, just like this" message. Which is not required, but it's a nice thing to do for people.

Not that it is relevant - that was just one example of laws that people don't respect presently - y'know, to support my opinion of why I don't think raising the speed limit is a good idea. But you want to derail by cherry-picking one example of my thread and ignore the point - not surprising, at all.
Actually, flashing your lights to oncoming vehicles is against the law as well. You're distracting other drivers and attepting to play "police". You may think it's nice (I think it's foolish), but if an officer saw you do that, you would likely get an infraction.

It's not cherry picking. It's completely relevant. If you feel the need to whine about others not obeying the law, start by obeying it yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Connecticut would instantly become the most forward-thinking New England state if they raised the speed limit to 75 MPH.
Agreed.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2013, 07:37 AM
 
Location: Central CT, sometimes NH.
3,256 posts, read 4,915,892 times
Reputation: 3029
We should not be raising the speed limit to 75 mph. It is a wasteful and unnecessary use of our fossil fuels and keeps us dependent on imports from countries that are hostile toward the American people. It is not purely a personal freedom decision as it has health and welfare consequences on society as a whole. The increased speed limit increases pollution and is a contributing factor in climatic temperature change. These factors adversely affects all of us on the planet and places an undue burden on the young and future generations. Additionally, the increased consumption of fossil fuel requires constant military intervention to secure the supply. The physical, psychological, and monetary costs associated with unnecessary military involvement is immeasurable.

In my opinion, it is totally unnecessary to raise the speed limit as the current speed limit is more than adequate for car and truck traffic given the condition, volume, and safety of our infrastructure.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2013, 07:44 AM
 
2,890 posts, read 2,969,394 times
Reputation: 1419
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Actually, flashing your lights to oncoming vehicles is against the law as well. You're distracting other drivers and attepting to play "police". You may think it's nice (I think it's foolish), but if an officer saw you do that, you would likely get an infraction.

It's not cherry picking. It's completely relevant. If you feel the need to whine about others not obeying the law, start by obeying it yourself.



Agreed.
Categorically false. You are even more than welcome to flash other cars about speed traps and without fear of retribution. Flashing cars is more than appropriate in many situations--- road hazards, disabled vehicles, signal for lights, etc.

It is illegal to flash your lights to warn of speed cameras in Aus
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2013, 07:57 AM
 
Location: Coastal Northeast
15,744 posts, read 22,030,672 times
Reputation: 5289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilton2ParkAve View Post
Categorically false. You are even more than welcome to flash other cars about speed traps and without fear of retribution. Flashing cars is more than appropriate in many situations--- road hazards, disabled vehicles, signal for lights, etc.

It is illegal to flash your lights to warn of speed cameras in Aus
In Connecticut, it's illegal, and I've seen firsthand people get infractions by doing that (whether it's flashing due to speed trap, failure to turn lights on or high beams off).

There are plenty of infractions one can get by causing distraction to other drivers and it's widely discouraged by law enforcement.

Either way, my point to Anon was that as she cries about people not following the law, she is engaging in questionable activity.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-13-2013, 08:07 AM
 
2,890 posts, read 2,969,394 times
Reputation: 1419
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
In Connecticut, it's illegal, and I've seen firsthand people get infractions by doing that (whether it's flashing due to speed trap, failure to turn lights on or high beams off).

There are plenty of infractions one can get by causing distraction to other drivers and it's widely discouraged by law enforcement.

Either way, my point to Anon was that as she cries about people not following the law, she is engaging in questionable activity.
It's not illegal in CT. The Florida decision has been upheld in various state and district courts. Ticket won't stand.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top