U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2013, 09:43 AM

2,890 posts, read 2,969,394 times

Advertisements

Kid: You are being stubborn. This has been affirmed at multiple state and district courts under the First Amendment. CT state statute excludes flashing head lights as a violation.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2013, 09:50 AM

8,780 posts, read 16,271,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
And on the CT website, it does say warning another driver of potential threatening trouble by using high beams IS okay, in emergency situations. The issue lies in the definition of "trouble". If it's a deer, yes, absolutely. If it's an officer doing radar, no. If it's simply to yell at them because they don't have their lights illuminated, no.
The motorist that doesn't have his headlights illuminated doesn't constitute a potential threat to other motorists, and therefore we shouldn't flash our lights at said motorist????

Sorry, i don't agree with you here.

Old 02-13-2013, 09:52 AM

15,744 posts, read 22,035,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilton2ParkAve View Post
Kid: You are being stubborn. This has been affirmed at multiple state and district courts under the First Amendment. CT state statute excludes flashing head lights as a violation.
You're misunderstanding my point. Clearly, there is not a statute solely for aggressive driving or intimidation. But an officer will pull you over, and the ticket will hold up in court (most of the time, unless you "know" someone). It's happened. It happens. There are a ton of statutes that have successfully covered this type of activity in the past.

That's my point.

And is it worth it to a driver (AnonChick) to risk getting a $92-$119 ticket just to "boss" another driver around?

Old 02-13-2013, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
The motorist that doesn't have his headlights illuminated doesn't constitute a potential threat to other motorists, and therefore we shouldn't flash our lights at said motorist????

Sorry, i don't agree with you here.
The initial debate sprung from this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
My lights are already ON during foggy conditions - which is required by law. When an oncoming car approaches and his lights are OFF, I fick my lights off, and then back on again
Technically, no, this is not okay. Agree with me or not, people can be stopped for doing this.

I've actually seen someone arrested for creating a public disturbance by repeatedly flashing their lights at someone going 40-something on the highway. It was reduced in court but not before a lot of inconvenience.

Connecticut REALLY needs aggressive driving laws. This way, officers won't have to pick and choose which statute they decide to use and the morons will have less of a chance at getting off free.

Last edited by kidyankee764; 02-13-2013 at 10:03 AM..

Old 02-13-2013, 02:03 PM

24,650 posts, read 40,232,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post
We should not be raising the speed limit to 75 mph. It is a wasteful and unnecessary use of our fossil fuels and keeps us dependent on imports from countries that are hostile toward the American people. It is not purely a personal freedom decision as it has health and welfare consequences on society as a whole. The increased speed limit increases pollution and is a contributing factor in climatic temperature change. These factors adversely affects all of us on the planet and places an undue burden on the young and future generations. Additionally, the increased consumption of fossil fuel requires constant military intervention to secure the supply. The physical, psychological, and monetary costs associated with unnecessary military involvement is immeasurable.

In my opinion, it is totally unnecessary to raise the speed limit as the current speed limit is more than adequate for car and truck traffic given the condition, volume, and safety of our infrastructure.
So with your logic, we should just eliminate all cars period. Raising the speed limit will not increase fuel useage if drivers are already driving at 75 mph. It will just mean they are doing it legally. Jay

Old 02-13-2013, 02:06 PM

24,650 posts, read 40,232,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBev View Post
So you make it 75 and your next statement as they drive 85 wil be?Accidents will become more gruesome.Ct is a very scary state to drive in,driver attitude is very poor.
At a faster speed the highway will clog up,roads are not suitable to disperse drivers.
You are assuming that raising the speed limit on certain roads will mean that drivers on all roads will increase speeds. Sorry but studies in other states have shown this is not the case. People will drive at the maximum speed they are comfortable driving at. If the road is designed for 75 and people are driving at that speed, why should it be illegal? Jay

Old 02-13-2013, 03:11 PM

3,256 posts, read 4,916,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
So with your logic, we should just eliminate all cars period. Raising the speed limit will not increase fuel useage if drivers are already driving at 75 mph. It will just mean they are doing it legally. Jay
Not everyone violates the law. Enforce it and more people will slow down.

Old 02-13-2013, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post
Not everyone violates the law. Enforce it and more people will slow down.
The vast majority of people violate the law when it comes to the speed limit. Drive 65 in the middle lane on 91 this evening. Watch how many vehicles pass you, and observe the line of vehicles that will back up behind you.

It's not enforced strictly because even our officers know that the speed limit is unrealistic. As stated earlier in the thread, our highways have been modernized while the speed limits have remained the same.

Old 02-13-2013, 03:40 PM

12,996 posts, read 17,156,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBev View Post
So you make it 75 and your next statement as they drive 85 wil be?
Raise the speed limit to 85 -- and watch virtually nobody drive 95 in response. People have their own personal speed limits, and almost nobody's is faster than 85. Just because they raise the speed limit more than once and people continue to drive 10 over doesn't mean they'll continue to every time it's raised. It just means that the speed limit was set so absurdly low in the first place that it needed to be raised more than twice before virtually everybody drove at or below the limit.

Old 02-13-2013, 03:54 PM

5,353 posts, read 5,722,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Raise the speed limit to 85 -- and watch virtually nobody drive 95 in response. People have their own personal speed limits, and almost nobody's is faster than 85. Just because they raise the speed limit more than once and people continue to drive 10 over doesn't mean they'll continue to every time it's raised. It just means that the speed limit was set so absurdly low in the first place that it needed to be raised more than twice before virtually everybody drove at or below the limit.
I tend to agree with this. Having recently moved out west from PA, I expected to see lots of drivers going 85 or 90-plus as a result of the 75 mph limit. Instead, what I see is more drivers on the highways going below 75 (including a lot of semis, to my great surprise) than I see speeding. Certainly there are some who exceed 75, but there are less of those than folks who don't go over 65 or 70.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut