U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2013, 11:37 AM

15,742 posts, read 22,000,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Since this thread opened, I've been paying close attention to rush hour speeds on the Merritt from Milford to Westport (without traffic).

The "slow" lane typically stays at 65MPH. People definitely exceed that at 70+ at times, RARELY does anyone go below 60MPH - and when they do, they are passed. That rampant passing can cause disruptions in the flow of traffic, or worse, accidents.

The fast lane tends to travel at 75-80 consistently. Again, if someone enters the fast lane at 65, they get passed on the right. Dangerous.

So how is that 55MPH speed limit helping anyone? No one follows it.
Exactly. And there are simply not enough police officers to enforce the traffic. It's beyond their control.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2013, 07:59 PM

3,720 posts, read 4,440,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike 75 View Post
Why not have variable speed limits based on traffic and weather conditions? Lower limits when there's traffic or inclement weather, and higher limits when things are clear.
Are people too stupid to notice that traffic is slowing and they should lower their speed or that the conditions are such that they should lower their speed?

Old 02-15-2013, 06:21 AM

15,742 posts, read 22,000,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trishguard View Post
Are people too stupid to notice that traffic is slowing and they should lower their speed or that the conditions are such that they should lower their speed?
In a word, yes.

Old 02-15-2013, 08:04 AM

2,710 posts, read 2,480,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trishguard View Post
I see it all the time. The best (or worst) are the SUV drivers barreling down the road in a snowstorm.

Old 02-15-2013, 08:34 AM

2,656 posts, read 2,822,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Connecticut would instantly become the most forward-thinking New England state if they raised the speed limit to 75 MPH.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Agreed.
Maine might disagree if it could post here...but even there (obviously a bit different than CT in most areas), not all sections of the highways are 75.

IMO, there are some sections of CT that would be OK at 75, but a lot more that wouldn't.

Old 02-16-2013, 05:48 AM

8,833 posts, read 14,240,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimazee View Post
Maine might disagree if it could post here...but even there (obviously a bit different than CT in most areas), not all sections of the highways are 75.

IMO, there are some sections of CT that would be OK at 75, but a lot more that wouldn't.
Why can't someone from Maine post here? I don't live in CT (granted, I work in it a lot) and I post here more than in my own state's forums....it is interesting that the only "75" the put is on 95 from east of Bangor to the Canadian border though.

Like I said early in this thread, I think if the law did pass, they'd only do it in the following:

1) 84 east of Vernon (MAYBE between Danbury and Waterbury, but I think the 2 lanes each side and general volume of traffic I've seen on the stretch they probably wouldn't......maybe if they did "75" between Danbury and Waterbury perhaps it would become "65" from east of Waterbury to just before West Hartford)

2) All of 395, and 95 east of Groton

3) MAYBE 95 between Branford and New London (again the 2 lanes vs. traffic issue)

4) The parts of 91 that are currently "65" (with perhaps the "55" zones in New Haven and Hartford becoming "65"), unlike 84, the multiple lanes on most of the highway may produce an argument in favor of a higher limit.

5) MAYBE Rt. 8 north of Waterbury.

I doubt they would do it on the Merritt/Wilbur Cross Parkways, but maybe some parts of it would become 65.

Old 02-16-2013, 06:56 AM

13,258 posts, read 34,636,559 times
Originally Posted by trishguard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
In a word, yes.
Oh well then we definitely should raise the speed limit. Because that would be the logical solution.

Old 02-16-2013, 08:11 AM

2,656 posts, read 2,822,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
Why can't someone from Maine post here? I don't live in CT (granted, I work in it a lot) and I post here more than in my own state's forums....it is interesting that the only "75" the put is on 95 from east of Bangor to the Canadian border though.

Like I said early in this thread, I think if the law did pass, they'd only do it in the following:

1) 84 east of Vernon (MAYBE between Danbury and Waterbury, but I think the 2 lanes each side and general volume of traffic I've seen on the stretch they probably wouldn't......maybe if they did "75" between Danbury and Waterbury perhaps it would become "65" from east of Waterbury to just before West Hartford)

2) All of 395, and 95 east of Groton

3) MAYBE 95 between Branford and New London (again the 2 lanes vs. traffic issue)

4) The parts of 91 that are currently "65" (with perhaps the "55" zones in New Haven and Hartford becoming "65"), unlike 84, the multiple lanes on most of the highway may produce an argument in favor of a higher limit.

5) MAYBE Rt. 8 north of Waterbury.

I doubt they would do it on the Merritt/Wilbur Cross Parkways, but maybe some parts of it would become 65.
They can of course. It meant that the state itself couldn't post here, or for that matter anywhere. (Perhaps a too subtle attempt at some light humor in the midst of a little food fight .)

The suggestions you made are examples of how sectional speed limits might 'work'. The traffic experts can determine the specifics.

Old 02-16-2013, 09:02 AM

2,382 posts, read 6,079,273 times
Overall I do not think rain,snow or sunshine will ever change the mentality of CT drivers,me first.

Old 02-16-2013, 09:15 AM

11,076 posts, read 7,183,777 times
I don't know if this is of any interest, but in fuel economy, the difference between 50 mph and 70 mph is that your mpg is halved, (at 70).

Hard to prove, I know, but that's what I've been told.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut