U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2013, 10:37 AM

2,893 posts, read 2,979,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BECLAZONE View Post
I don't know if this is of any interest, but in fuel economy, the difference between 50 mph and 70 mph is that your mpg is halved, (at 70).

Hard to prove, I know, but that's what I've been told.
This is no longer accurate. Better aerodynamics and the advent of 7 and 8 speed transmissions (as well as cvt) have changed the game. Many newer cars get better fuel economy at 80 than 60.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2013, 10:45 AM

11,076 posts, read 7,208,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilton2ParkAve View Post
This is no longer accurate. Better aerodynamics and the advent of 7 and 8 speed transmissions (as well as cvt) have changed the game. Many newer cars get better fuel economy at 80 than 60.
Yes, true, but it won't only be them that are doing 75mph.

Old 02-16-2013, 12:41 PM

8,182 posts, read 14,324,626 times
For 40 years, I drove the CT Turnpike (95) heading from RI to NJ and back, nearly once a month. Not once in all those trips, did I make it through that state without seeing at least one serious accident; sometimes I predicted its happening watching someone doing a boomerang around and through the traffic.

So raising the speed limit will only increase the opportunities for accidents, and most likely the severity of injuries.

Old 02-16-2013, 09:35 PM

14,819 posts, read 18,071,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BECLAZONE View Post
I don't know if this is of any interest, but in fuel economy, the difference between 50 mph and 70 mph is that your mpg is halved, (at 70).

Hard to prove, I know, but that's what I've been told.
Halved? No way. If you have a 3/4 speed transmission, maybe a few MPG. On anything with 6+ speeds it's negligible. And that's most modern cars. The 55 gas mileage thing had way more weight when cars had fewer gears.

And it's easy to prove. Reset your MPG computer, drive at 50 for a long stretch. Reset again, drive at 70. Cruise control for a long enough distance and it's pretty scientific.

Old 02-17-2013, 10:00 AM

804 posts, read 1,386,026 times
I don't support this at all on highways such as 95 or the Merritt. Given that many times these speeds are not even possible in rush hour traffic. I've simply seen too many accidents on these roadds with the speed limit at 55; displaying the drivers cannot handle the responsibility given to them.

Just last week on Sunday there was a terrible accident on the Merritt Southbound (around the Weston area) involving a large number of cars with one ending flipped on it's side. The road was a mess in many spots and people still wanted to speed.

I don't have faith that the people on these roads can handle it. I know it's only a small portion that get into accidents but I think even that small number including the resulting deaths does not make it okay.

Old 02-17-2013, 12:11 PM

3,720 posts, read 4,455,246 times
Going 55 is not possible in rush hour traffic.

Old 02-17-2013, 03:05 PM

15,798 posts, read 22,097,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTbrooktrout View Post
I don't have faith that the people on these roads can handle it.
They already do, that's the point! The average speed right now IS 70.

Old 02-17-2013, 06:21 PM

2,366 posts, read 2,028,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
For 40 years, I drove the CT Turnpike (95) heading from RI to NJ and back, nearly once a month. Not once in all those trips, did I make it through that state without seeing at least one serious accident; sometimes I predicted its happening watching someone doing a boomerang around and through the traffic.

So raising the speed limit will only increase the opportunities for accidents, and most likely the severity of injuries.
55 or 75, if people aren't focusing on the road or mimicking a scene from Fast and the Furious, they are going to crash. If cops are not going to enforce the current speed limit, then increase them. Leaving the speed limit as is encourages people to do things other than driving.

I say increase the speed limit to reduce the differential of the speed along the highway. All that talk about increasing accidents is nonsense. Speed limits should not be based on potential crashes or congestion, it should be based on the road. Do we think about getting about getting into accidents every-time we drive? If so, its time to look for other ways to get around.

If a road is designed for higher speed, then that is what the speed should be. A speed limit is just that a limit. It doesn't necessary means you must drive at that speed. You can't drive the speed limit when the lanes are congested.

Old 02-17-2013, 06:36 PM

5,324 posts, read 6,646,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post

That is the same propaganda we heard for years regarding the 55mph limit. When the 55 limit was abolished, accidents went down.

Old 02-18-2013, 08:07 AM

5,549 posts, read 8,227,176 times
I think there's an unseen benefit in raising the speed limit in places where it is safe to do so.

Having a too-low speed limit makes lawbreakers out of the vast majority of people, and people learn not to take the law seriously. Even the enforcers don't take the law seriously.

It's like the boy who cried "wolf." Then, when you really need people to slow down, they pay no attention.

I noticed that my driving behavior changed when I drove in areas with a 70 mph speed limit in some places. I routinely ignore the 55 mph speed limit on the roads around me -- by a wide margin -- but I noticed when I drove in places with a higher speed limit, when they dropped it to 55 mph, I was much more likely to pay attention.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut