U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 02-20-2013, 05:37 PM
 
127 posts, read 81,470 times
Reputation: 126

Advertisements

Quote:
I noticed that my driving behavior changed when I drove in areas with a 70 mph speed limit in some places. I routinely ignore the 55 mph speed limit on the roads around me -- by a wide margin -- but I noticed when I drove in places with a higher speed limit, when they dropped it to 55 mph, I was much more likely to pay attention.
So True.
Used to live in CT and some of the roads have speed limits that are way too slow. Have seen roads that CT labels as a 25 mph zone, that would be at least 40 here in the mid-atlantic. Also was driving on this road last week that was labeled as 55 and unlike most roads in CT I felt that maybe the limit was a bit too high. It felt like a road near where I used to live that speed limit was 35.

People actually better adhere to the speed limits here, because they are actually appropriate. CT has too many roads where cops have a field day because you cannot manage to go the speed that is posted.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-22-2013, 09:13 AM
 
Location: Twin Lakes /Taconic / Salisbury
2,256 posts, read 3,392,617 times
Reputation: 1834
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilton2ParkAve View Post
This is no longer accurate. Better aerodynamics and the advent of 7 and 8 speed transmissions (as well as cvt) have changed the game. Many newer cars get better fuel economy at 80 than 60.
While Im all for higher/more appropiatte speed limits and cars of todays certainly get much better mileage at higher speeds than older autos do that is totally untrue. That is not how aerodynamics works. Even with the most advanced areo and transmission. The penalty for higher speeds certainly is MUCH smaller though.

Last edited by LRPct; 02-22-2013 at 10:13 AM..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2013, 09:22 AM
 
2,890 posts, read 2,969,394 times
Reputation: 1419
I get much better fuel economy at 80 than 60 in my Mercedes AMG. Somewhere on the order of 20-25% higher.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2013, 10:12 AM
 
Location: Twin Lakes /Taconic / Salisbury
2,256 posts, read 3,392,617 times
Reputation: 1834
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilton2ParkAve View Post
I get much better fuel economy at 80 than 60 in my Mercedes AMG. Somewhere on the order of 20-25% higher.
Maybe thats what youre getting from a trip computer but no way by real mathmatics. Youre probally also much smoother with your right foot at 80 than 60 though. Smoothness is an important key to mpg. Not surprising though. AMG/MB have some of the worst/inacurate trip computers I've ever experienced. Some of the worst electronics period actually.. especially the radar/adaptive cruise control.. they do burn down tires good though... Not even the MB F1 car gets better mpg at 80 than 60 and its areo and transmission is a bunch more advanced than the AMG.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2013, 02:18 PM
 
46 posts, read 45,048 times
Reputation: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Hmm...it's not your call to determine how much fuel another individual should use. Are you in favor of demanding everyone drive a Prius, too?

I didn't say it is my call, I simply stated that the fact that gasoline is FINITE and that driving faster causes it to be burned quicker hence it is false economy (this is according to D.O.T data). I would like the remaining fossil fuels to be used in a much more sensible way than they are now. Increasing the speed limit does the opposite of that.

Fuel economy standards have to change too. The current standards are ludicrously low and internal combustion engines are archaic technology. Show me another technology that is 90 percent inefficient that still gets used so much. 50 mpg is not outstanding. The Prius is just a stop gap.


Additionally, life moves too fast as it is. We could all afford to SLOW way down. Driving slower makes sense economically, ecologically, and from a safety standpoint.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-26-2013, 02:30 PM
 
Location: CT
1,930 posts, read 3,177,768 times
Reputation: 1419
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruz2012 View Post
I didn't say it is my call, I simply stated that the fact that gasoline is FINITE and that driving faster causes it to be burned quicker hence it is false economy (this is according to D.O.T data). I would like the remaining fossil fuels to be used in a much more sensible way than they are now. Increasing the speed limit does the opposite of that.

Fuel economy standards have to change too. The current standards are ludicrously low and internal combustion engines are archaic technology. Show me another technology that is 90 percent inefficient that still gets used so much. 50 mpg is not outstanding. The Prius is just a stop gap.


Additionally, life moves too fast as it is. We could all afford to SLOW way down. Driving slower makes sense economically, ecologically, and from a safety standpoint.
I agree with you that the CAFE standards are too low, but show me a viable alternative to IC technology thats as robust.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2013, 08:49 AM
 
46 posts, read 45,048 times
Reputation: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetto View Post
I agree with you that the CAFE standards are too low, but show me a viable alternative to IC technology thats as robust.

I've not read it in a while but Jim Motavalli's (sp?) book Forward Drive has some very interesting information about that sort of thing in it.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2013, 11:57 PM
 
Location: Trumbull/Danbury
6,156 posts, read 4,102,255 times
Reputation: 2221
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Actually, flashing your lights to oncoming vehicles is against the law as well. You're distracting other drivers and attepting to play "police". You may think it's nice (I think it's foolish), but if an officer saw you do that, you would likely get an infraction.
Kidyankee, normally I agree with you, but if I pass someone at 9 PM with their lights off and I flick my lights at them warning them their turned off I can get a ticket for that?? That seems absurd.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-04-2013, 07:32 PM
 
5 posts, read 9,557 times
Reputation: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
If anywhere in the Northeast I thought it might be one of the northern New England states or NY or PA because of their vast rural stretches.
I'd love if we could do 75 in New York, but NYSDOT sets speed limits very conservatively. They don't use 60 zones, and only post 65 zones in low-density areas. They spent millions renovating the Taconic Parkway in Westchester and they told me it still doesn't meet their 65 standards.

75 would work on the Thruway and Northway (I-87) and maybe I-88. 70 would work on I-84 west of the Hudson. But as for Conn., as long as a road meets engineering standards, set the limit as high as is safe.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-06-2013, 07:46 PM
 
Location: Fairfield, CT
5,541 posts, read 8,204,682 times
Reputation: 5791
Quote:
Originally Posted by crispy93 View Post
I'd love if we could do 75 in New York, but NYSDOT sets speed limits very conservatively. They don't use 60 zones, and only post 65 zones in low-density areas. They spent millions renovating the Taconic Parkway in Westchester and they told me it still doesn't meet their 65 standards.

75 would work on the Thruway and Northway (I-87) and maybe I-88. 70 would work on I-84 west of the Hudson. But as for Conn., as long as a road meets engineering standards, set the limit as high as is safe.
Speed limits are irrelevant. Nobody follows them anyway.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top