U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-04-2016, 11:13 AM
 
Location: Coastal Connecticut
14,717 posts, read 17,938,672 times
Reputation: 3333

Advertisements

75 is reasonable. 55 on major parts of 95 is a joke.

Also, minimum speeds should be strictly enforced. Someone going 45 while everyone else is going 75 is a bigger danger than high speeds, period. I've seen it on 95 far too often and it's extremely disruptive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-04-2016, 11:30 AM
 
Location: Northeast states
10,329 posts, read 7,229,362 times
Reputation: 2704
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
75 is reasonable. 55 on major parts of 95 is a joke.

Also, minimum speeds should be strictly enforced. Someone going 45 while everyone else is going 75 is a bigger danger than high speeds, period. I've seen it on 95 far too often and it's extremely disruptive.
tell that to BMW, Audi, Mustang, Porsche drivers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2016, 11:42 AM
 
Location: Coastal Connecticut
14,717 posts, read 17,938,672 times
Reputation: 3333
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
tell that to BMW, Audi, Mustang, Porsche drivers
Huh? Tell what?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2016, 11:48 AM
 
Location: Northeast states
10,329 posts, read 7,229,362 times
Reputation: 2704
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Huh? Tell what?
They always cutting off drivers on 95 and driving 100+
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2016, 01:19 PM
 
Location: Connecticut
24,576 posts, read 40,130,038 times
Reputation: 6942
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkOdyssey View Post
What year was that though? The average vehicle today handles and brakes like the sports cars of the 1970's and is about 1000x safer in a collision. Modern technology could merit some revision of the speed limits.
I believe it was around 1995 so about 20 years ago. Cars have changed with better safety features but I believe cars have gotten smaller so I am not sure higher speeds are a good idea. Jay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-04-2016, 03:25 PM
 
Location: Coastal Northeast
15,743 posts, read 21,991,150 times
Reputation: 5277
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
They always cutting off drivers on 95 and driving 100+
So do people driving Hondas, Toyotas, Suzukis, etc. Poor and selfish driving habits is not limited to those with luxury vehicles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-05-2016, 09:52 AM
 
Location: Fairfield, CT
5,530 posts, read 8,186,609 times
Reputation: 5765
On certain stretches of road, a 75 mph speed limit makes sense. People are already doing it anyway, and artificially low speed limits blur the line between safe and unsafe driving and breed disrespect for the law. I favor a realistic speed limit, with tougher enforcement and penalties against those who violate the higher limits, while leaving people driving at safe (but currently illegal speeds) alone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-05-2016, 02:21 PM
 
Location: New London County, CT
8,950 posts, read 9,812,330 times
Reputation: 5101
With the constant b******g that goes on here regarding the quality of drives, I can't imagine why anyone would support allowing them to go faster.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-05-2016, 03:09 PM
 
Location: Woburn, MA / W. Hartford, CT
2,064 posts, read 2,314,303 times
Reputation: 896
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
With the constant b******g that goes on here regarding the quality of drives, I can't imagine why anyone would support allowing them to go faster.
Bingo^^^
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-05-2016, 04:38 PM
 
Location: Connecticut
504 posts, read 227,142 times
Reputation: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
On certain stretches of road, a 75 mph speed limit makes sense. People are already doing it anyway, and artificially low speed limits blur the line between safe and unsafe driving and breed disrespect for the law. I favor a realistic speed limit, with tougher enforcement and penalties against those who violate the higher limits, while leaving people driving at safe (but currently illegal speeds) alone.
Totally agree!!! I84 East past East Hartford can easily support 75, as well as Rt9 Middletown on south. I84 past Waterbury as well. Bump up I95 in Fairfield county to 65, as well as all of Rt8, and I84 from farmington to the Waterbury line. The Merritt and Wilbur Cross Parkway would be fine at 65, although it gets to be a bit curvy down near the NY line so I wouldn't have a problem leaving that at 55.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top