U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 12:06 PM

15,744 posts, read 22,020,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UconnHusky1 View Post
75 is legal and 80 is reckless?

Essentially you are admitting that 75 must be too dangerous if 80 is reckless
Not exactly. It's more of an effort to get people to drive at speeds that don't variate so much. Currently, you have motorists in the middle lane driving as low as 55, and motorists whizzing past them in the next lane 35 mph faster. If you go back to my post that says what causes the majority of the accidents on our highways, forcing people to drive similar speeds (within 10 mph) would drastically cut down on collisions and road rage.

Ideally I wish the sign would say "please drive between 65 and 75, or get off the highway".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2013, 12:07 PM

470 posts, read 1,200,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Nobody would be flashing their lights at you if you're in the middle or right lanes. Currently, people don't do that at 65 mph drivers in the middle lane.

Actually, I've been flashed for going 65 in the middle of 3 lanes many times before. I have also been flashed for being in the left lane 3/4 - 1 mile before a left hand exit while going ONLY 68 MPH in a 55 MPH zone.

If I'm looking to get over to a left hand exit and I'm 1-2 miles away but see a long line of cars 1/2 mile back that wont be completely past me before I get off the exit, you better believe I'm moving over before they get to me. I'm not missing my exit so some idiot can get to the mall 2 min earlier than if they slowed down to the speed limit.

With the way most people drive in this state, a 75 MPH speed limit will be a very bad thing.

Old 02-04-2013, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydez View Post
If I'm looking to get over to a left hand exit and I'm 1-2 miles away but see a long line of cars 1/2 mile back that wont be completely past me before I get off the exit, you better believe I'm moving over before they get to me. I'm not missing my exit so some idiot can get to the mall 2 min earlier than if they slowed down to the speed limit.
I don't blame you. And the second you put on your signal, people in the left lane would speed up so you can't get in. I hear you there.

I do have to ask this, though - would it hurt you to increase your speed from 68 to 73 so the line of cars in the left lane don't have to brake for you?

Old 02-04-2013, 12:18 PM

128 posts, read 117,175 times
Don't we already have enough auto fatalities? The herd has always had a way of thinning itself out. Unfortunately, in this situation, the idiots generally take innocent people with them.

How hard is it to leave home 10 minutes earlier? Is it really worth your life? And why should other people have to pay for your stupidity?

Old 02-04-2013, 12:28 PM

470 posts, read 1,200,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I don't blame you. And the second you put on your signal, people in the left lane would speed up so you can't get in. I hear you there.

I do have to ask this, though - would it hurt you to increase your speed from 68 to 73 so the line of cars in the left lane don't have to brake for you?

So this comes down to, should i speed up so others don't have to slow down, or should they slow down so I don't have to speed up?

Either way, the other person will always think they are right and if there is an accident as a result, it is up to the investigating officer to make the ultimate determination.

Old 02-04-2013, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydez View Post
So this comes down to, should i speed up so others don't have to slow down, or should they slow down so I don't have to speed up?

Either way, the other person will always think they are right and if there is an accident as a result, it is up to the investigating officer to make the ultimate determination.
Pretty much, yeah. You speeding up would simply be a courtesy to the line of cars you have to get in front of to exit. Do you have to? Heck no. But it would be a nice gesture. I usually try to mirror the speed of cars around me to create a smoother flow.

The mentality I see often in CT is that anyone driving faster than you is a jerk and anyone driving slower than you is incompetent.

Usually with serious interstate accidents, there are some witnesses. Often, there aren't. Regardless of damage type, aside from a rear ending, it's usually their word against yours. Often times, the officer will rule both at fault.

Old 02-04-2013, 12:36 PM

5,065 posts, read 13,287,879 times
I think 75 might be a little excessive for most of Ct. highways, considering many people like to drive 10-15 mph over the limit. People seem to feel they can do that without getting ticketed. (which is often the case) I think there are only a limited number of highways that people could drive that fast safely.

One thing that annoys me about 3 lane highways are people that drive in the middle lane slower than those in the right lane. They sometimes cause a traffic jam. I see it on Rt. 25 all the time, people just cruising slowly and mindlessly in the middle, being passed by others on both sides.

Old 02-04-2013, 12:43 PM

I must say, I'm quite surprised at the opposition to this proposal in this thread.

Old 02-04-2013, 02:52 PM

1,063 posts, read 1,047,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
I think 75 might be a little excessive for most of Ct. highways, considering many people like to drive 10-15 mph over the limit. People seem to feel they can do that without getting ticketed. (which is often the case) I think there are only a limited number of highways that people could drive that fast safely.

There was a study done which found that people only drive as fast as they are comfortable driving. So it's not that people will always drive 5 or so mph above the limit, it's that they're at their comfort level.

That said, I'm for this in some places and against it in others.

Why not just make the leftmost two lanes of any of our highways (except at junctions) 75? Getting on and off is a gigantic hazard in most places, and bear in mind that some on-ramps, such as on Rt 15, still have stop signs. Even where they don't on places like 91 and 95, it can be a huge hassle if people are going that fast and trying to get off or on, weaving in and out of people.

But then you run into the left exit problem. For example, my own exit 13 on 91-N is a left exit. People will do extremely dangerous things when others slow down to move left to get off the highway, like passing on the right without even looking.

Old 02-04-2013, 03:40 PM

24,619 posts, read 40,196,269 times
I do not necessarily oppose it. There are sections of I-84, I-395, Route 2, Route 8, Route 9 and Route 11 that could support a 75 mile per hour speed limit. There may even be sections of I-95. Jay
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut