U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 03:47 PM

11,040 posts, read 13,411,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
It would be interesting in that no Northeast state (not sure about Maine though) is even past 65 as a limit, in fact, you have to go to Kansas and Texas to find the nearest states over 70.

The reason is the relative congestion of the Northeast (and the fact that many states are pretty small in size). I'd be surprised if it happens, CT is the last state I thought would have a speed limit that high, the only places I can imagine them putting it on is I-84 east of Vernon/Manchester and maybe some semi-rural parts of I-91 between New Haven and Hartford (I doubt they'd do it on I-84 between Danbury and Waterbury unless/until the add a lane to each side) and I-395.

If anywhere in the Northeast I thought it might be one of the northern New England states or NY or PA because of their vast rural stretches.
That's not true. Indiana, West Virginia, Kentucky, Virginia and North Carolina all have speed limits of 70. For speed limits of 75, yes, you must go out to Nebraska, Colorado, Kansas, Texas, etc. I have also seen a speed limit of 80 in Texas on I-10 in the western portion of the state. And, I believe that TX-130 has a speed limit of 85, which is the highest in the nation. Trust me. I've driven almost the entire country with my car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2013, 04:09 PM

24,669 posts, read 40,244,780 times
I am pretty sure Maine has 75 mph speed limits. I know they have 70. Jay

Old 02-04-2013, 04:10 PM

11,040 posts, read 13,411,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I am pretty sure Maine has 75 mph speed limits. I know they have 70. Jay
Yes, I believe they upgraded to 75 last year sometime on portions of I-95 in the eastern part of the state.

Old 02-04-2013, 06:20 PM

346 posts, read 307,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I must say, I'm quite surprised at the opposition to this proposal in this thread.
I am not surprised at all. I think it's indicative of the awful driving habits of a lot of people. Tailgaiting, passing in no passing zones, aggressive driving. And all for what? To wait at the next traffic light or traffic jam?

Sorry, but if you can't obey the speed limit, you shouldn't be driving. Period. I'd be for dropping the speed limits back to 55 everywhere and tripling or quadrupling all monetary fines for speeding and increasing the penalty to loss of license for other serious offenses, i.e. driving through red lights, tailgaiting, passing in no passing zones.

Drive safely and at the posted speed limits and remember driver's ed.

Old 02-04-2013, 06:26 PM

14,768 posts, read 18,005,925 times
Good. People will not drive faster if the limit is 75. The 50-55 limit on 95 is absurd.

Old 02-04-2013, 06:34 PM

13,258 posts, read 34,716,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Scorcho View Post
I am not surprised at all. I think it's indicative of the awful driving habits of a lot of people. Tailgaiting, passing in no passing zones, aggressive driving. And all for what? To wait at the next traffic light or traffic jam?

Sorry, but if you can't obey the speed limit, you shouldn't be driving. Period. I'd be for dropping the speed limits back to 55 everywhere and tripling or quadrupling all monetary fines for speeding and increasing the penalty to loss of license for other serious offenses, i.e. driving through red lights, tailgaiting, passing in no passing zones.

Drive safely and at the posted speed limits and remember driver's ed.
Actually, this brings to mind a completely opposite idea.

Rather than change the existing speed limits - keep them exactly as they are. BUT!

If the driver is speeding anywhere -other- than the fast lane, raise the fine.
If the driver is speeding IN the fast lane - reduce (but don't eliminate) the fine.

Tailgating should have fines and points doubled. And, people who slam on their brakes to scare tailgaters should ALSO have fines and doubled points for wreckless endangerment.

I drive too fast - but I do it in the fast lane, or in the middle lane if there's no traffic and no one ahead of me. It's a matter of respect, which unfortunately, too many CT drivers lack. And for that reason alone, I don't feel the speed limit should be raised. The lack of respect is already causing accidents. It'll just make it worse when they think they can "get away" with driving 10 MPH over the limit, when the limit is already 75.

Old 02-04-2013, 06:36 PM

8,780 posts, read 16,274,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Good. People will not drive faster if the limit is 75.
You ever see what happens on the Merritt in the morning when there's an accident and the road ahead is "clear" past the accident scene? LOL. HAMMER DOWN!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
The 50-55 limit on 95 is absurd.
It's absurd on 15 as well, for the most part.

Old 02-04-2013, 06:40 PM

14,768 posts, read 18,005,925 times
Yep, 15 should be 65. 70 in parts.

Old 02-04-2013, 06:55 PM

2,186 posts, read 5,770,431 times
I usually go about 68 on i84. I only go slower if I have people with me.

Old 02-04-2013, 08:34 PM

1,668 posts, read 1,838,198 times
I am not in favor, particularly in areas where a substantial number of accidents and traffic violations are attributable to - err...umm... - unlicensed and uninsured drivers for whom it appears to be a cultural norm to drive drunk. This happened quite a lot in certain areas in CT when I used to live there. The so-called sanctuary towns are particularly bad in this regard.

The physics of driving fast are scary. At those speeds, if somebody so much as brushes you, you can go into an unstable cycle of overcorrections and compensating maneuvers. Even if you don't get hammered from the initial contact, you'll likely get hammered from the correction-compensation cycle, and possibly take others out with you.

I don't like driving around drivers who don't care enough about civic responsibility to get licensed and insured, and drive sober. More so now that I know my odds of dying in a crash at over 40 mph doubles with every additional ten miles of speed.

I'm not a physicist, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut