U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 08:27 PM

1,292 posts, read 2,082,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
I'm not in favor of an increased speed limit, even though I can't stand driving at or under the current one. What I -am- in favor of, however, is a "front car rule" for the passing lane.

IF the front car in a line of traffic, is driving slower than the lane immediately to his right, then he is subject to a doubled fine for driving too slow.

No one belongs in the passing lane, unless they're either:

Passing someone
Preparing to pass someone
Cruising with no one behind him trying to pass someone or preparing to pass someone
Exiting or preparing to exit into a left lane exit
Entering from an left lane entrance.

ANYONE who is driving in the left lane, with someone behind him trying to pass him, should move over if it's physically possible, regardless of how fast or slow he is travelling.
my biggest driving related pet peeve. i'd have to add one to your list though..

.. a cop trying to get home at the speed of light.

as far as the speed limit goes, if they do up it to 75, i'd prefer they enforce it at 75. let's face it, right now most cops do allow up to 10 mph over the limit (i've gone past cops doing 72 in a 65 many a time without getting pulled over) so if they did the same at 75, there's a possibility of more accidents with people going that much faster than before.

Last edited by Slipperman; 02-04-2013 at 08:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2013, 08:40 PM

346 posts, read 306,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
Good. People will not drive faster if the limit is 75. The 50-55 limit on 95 is absurd.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Actually, this brings to mind a completely opposite idea.

Rather than change the existing speed limits - keep them exactly as they are. BUT!

If the driver is speeding anywhere -other- than the fast lane, raise the fine.
If the driver is speeding IN the fast lane - reduce (but don't eliminate) the fine.

Tailgating should have fines and points doubled. And, people who slam on their brakes to scare tailgaters should ALSO have fines and doubled points for wreckless endangerment.

I drive too fast - but I do it in the fast lane, or in the middle lane if there's no traffic and no one ahead of me. It's a matter of respect, which unfortunately, too many CT drivers lack. And for that reason alone, I don't feel the speed limit should be raised. The lack of respect is already causing accidents. It'll just make it worse when they think they can "get away" with driving 10 MPH over the limit, when the limit is already 75.
There is NO excuse for exceeding the posted speed limit. Of course people will drive faster. People exceed 75 mph now. Even when 55 mph is posted. That's just being selfish and inconsiderate.

Regarding the poster for slamming on the brakes for tailgaiters: driving too close is wreckless endagerment. How do you know there's not a child, or a ball, or a deer, or anything else for that matter that runs in front of the car. You should NEVER be too close to stop. Period.

Old 02-04-2013, 08:55 PM

3,720 posts, read 4,441,413 times
I think it should be 85 as that's what most people do anyway.

Old 02-04-2013, 09:10 PM

14,724 posts, read 17,955,593 times
Wow, some people are really uptight about speed. Must be the same ones I run into doing 60 in the fast lane on the Merritt.

Old 02-04-2013, 09:16 PM

What we really need is more rigorous driver training.

Old 02-04-2013, 09:25 PM

14,724 posts, read 17,955,593 times
I do track days and recently did a car control clinic at Lime Rock. They should be required. Driver's ed for most people is a joke.

Most highway accidents are not due to speed.

Old 02-04-2013, 09:39 PM

Quote:
I do track days and recently did a car control clinic at Lime Rock. They should be required. Driver's ed for most people is a joke.

I've wanted to take a course at Lime Rock but I can't drive a stick. Tell me about these clinics.

Old 02-05-2013, 03:51 AM

8,833 posts, read 14,243,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
That's not true. Indiana, West Virginia, Kentucky, Virginia and North Carolina all have speed limits of 70. For speed limits of 75, yes, you must go out to Nebraska, Colorado, Kansas, Texas, etc. I have also seen a speed limit of 80 in Texas on I-10 in the western portion of the state. And, I believe that TX-130 has a speed limit of 85, which is the highest in the nation. Trust me. I've driven almost the entire country with my car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I am pretty sure Maine has 75 mph speed limits. I know they have 70. Jay
I did say OVER 70.....and you are correct about Maine I corrected myself in a later post, they raised it to 75 last year.

Old 02-05-2013, 04:12 AM

15,742 posts, read 22,004,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipperman View Post
as far as the speed limit goes, if they do up it to 75, i'd prefer they enforce it at 75. let's face it, right now most cops do allow up to 10 mph over the limit (i've gone past cops doing 72 in a 65 many a time without getting pulled over) so if they did the same at 75, there's a possibility of more accidents with people going that much faster than before.
I don't know any officer in the state of CT that will pull someone over for going 75 or under, even in a 55 zone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Scorcho View Post
There is NO excuse for exceeding the posted speed limit. Of course people will drive faster. People exceed 75 mph now. Even when 55 mph is posted. That's just being selfish and inconsiderate.
Wrong. Numerous studies have been done that said regardless of what the posted limit is, people will drive how they feel comfortable. Just because the limit goes up (or down) doesn't mean people's driving habits will change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Scorcho View Post
Regarding the poster for slamming on the brakes for tailgaiters: driving too close is wreckless endagerment. How do you know there's not a child, or a ball, or a deer, or anything else for that matter that runs in front of the car. You should NEVER be too close to stop. Period.
Uh, slamming on your brakes for a tailgater can land you with numerous charges, such as reckless driving and assault with a deadly weapon (if they hit you). Your retaliation of slamming on your brakes is far worse, according to the law, than tailgating.

Quote:
Exactly, and I'm trying to get the uninformed to understand this. Like I said in a previous post, accident's are usually caused by poor maneuvers (granted many of them are caused when trying to get around a slow driver) and/or distracted driving.

Old 02-05-2013, 05:44 AM

13,258 posts, read 34,646,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I don't know any officer in the state of CT that will pull someone over for going 75 or under, even in a 55 zone.
Just wanted to respond to this part here.

I got pulled over for going 72 in a 55 zone. I pled not guilty and took it to court. I got to Meriden, prepared to tell the judge that the officer didn't have a radar reading, and that I was going the speed of traffic, and the cop had actually passed me at one point during the stretch.

The cop didn't show up, and they nolled the ticket instead of giving me a chance to state my case. I went home with no ticket, no fine, no charge

BTW: I was going in excess of 72. Closer to 75. But there wasn't much traffic, it was mid-afternoon on I-91S in the Wallingford area, clear weather, clear road, I was in the middle lane, and someone had just passed me (indicating that I was, in fact, moving at the general speed of traffic). I'm not excusing my speeding. I speed. I like speeding, I don't apologize for it, I don't justify it. The above is an explanation of me, being a *responsible* driver, regardless of the arbitrary number on a speed limit sign.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut