U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2013, 11:51 AM

15,742 posts, read 22,004,068 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Scorcho View Post
Try the posted speed limit.
No. What he means is what can we drive without getting pulled over. As it is now, officers will NOT pull you over for going 10 over because they know that it's unnecessarily slow. Put a realistic number up there so people WILL abide by it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2013, 11:54 AM

6,133 posts, read 4,092,310 times
We don't need cars traveling 90 MPH which would be the case if the speed limit was up to 75. Too much traffic and not enough "width." On the extreme rare occasion I'm ever on route 2 through Hebrew, Marlborough and whatever towns route 2 runs through I'm consistantly getting passed doing 75 mph and 80 and that would be the normal speed limit on that road with the rule changes.
However, I 100% agree for a 65 MPH speed limit however through pretty much all the state. I don't recommend 65 MPH on the Merritt, but people on that road are either going 50 or their going 70, so upping it 10 MPH on that and 95 wouldn't make much difference except give cops less tickets to write.
Same with 8 through the valley, I don't know of anyone who does 55 through there.

Old 02-05-2013, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Passing someone
Preparing to pass someone
Cruising with no one behind him trying to pass someone or preparing to pass someone
Exiting or preparing to exit into a left lane exit
Entering from an left lane entrance.

ANYONE who is driving in the left lane, with someone behind him trying to pass him, should move over if it's physically possible, regardless of how fast or slow he is travelling.
I agree with this, but these last 2 are very vague. How far do you prepare??

If someone is getting onto 84 in Cheshire from 691 and is getting on route 8 south and immediately gets into the left lane because 84 West to 8 south is a left exit, and goes at 60 MPH and there's cars behind him, should he pull over?? technically he is "preparing to exit."
Same with getting on. How long after you merge onto the highway should you get over??

Old 02-05-2013, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I don't know any officer in the state of CT that will pull someone over for going 75 or under, even in a 55 zone.
I got a ticket on route 8 once for going 70, so it does happen if you run into the wrong cop on the wrong day.

Old 02-05-2013, 12:22 PM

But having now having read through the whole thread, no matter what the speed limit is: 55, 65 or 75 the minimum speed HAS TO BE raised to at least 50 (and probably more like 55). my house is on a road with a 40 MPH speed limit and I NEVER drive 40 on that road. Having a minimum speed of 40 on the highway is an absolute joke and a disaster. Entrance ramps should be raised to at least 40 (unless it's a bend). Can't tell you the number of times I've tried to get on 95 behind some idiot going 25 mph. Speed up or I'm going to get killed...........literally.
Last but not least abolish the few remaining stop signs on the Merritt/Wilbur cross, and they should do this before the speed limit because that really is a disaster waiting to happen. Ever go past the entrance for the Wilbur Cross from 34 East during rush hour?? I'm honestly surprised more deadly accidents don't happen there tbqh.

Old 02-05-2013, 12:27 PM

8,950 posts, read 9,817,051 times
In Texas we had a lot of 75 mph zones. There were as few people going 90 there as here. SInce 75 mph is a much more reasonable speed limit, most people abide by it. I don't feel comfortable going much over 75, so I set my cruise to about 75 and go...

M

Old 02-05-2013, 01:00 PM

14,724 posts, read 17,955,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
In Texas we had a lot of 75 mph zones. There were as few people going 90 there as here. SInce 75 mph is a much more reasonable speed limit, most people abide by it. I don't feel comfortable going much over 75, so I set my cruise to about 75 and go...

M
Exactly. Just because people drive 75 in a 55 now doesn't mean they'll drive 95 in a 75. That's some mixed up logic.

Old 02-05-2013, 01:04 PM

15,742 posts, read 22,004,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
That's some mixed up logic.
Yep.

Old 02-05-2013, 02:15 PM

24,594 posts, read 40,159,475 times
The bill would not raise the speed limits on all of the roads in the state. It would just "allow" the speed limits to be raised. People think there is no process to this. The Connecticut Office of State Traffic Administration is responsible for setting speed limits and they will likely not raise them unless they are certain the speed limit is safe. Jay

Old 02-05-2013, 02:33 PM

346 posts, read 306,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
The bill would not raise the speed limits on all of the roads in the state. It would just "allow" the speed limits to be raised. People think there is no process to this. The Connecticut Office of State Traffic Administration is responsible for setting speed limits and they will likely not raise them unless they are certain the speed limit is safe. Jay
I belive the OP was asking for opinions on whether or not it would be a good idea on the interstates. Kidyankee, please correct me if I'm wrong.

The title of the thread is " 75 mph speed limit proposal - what do you think?". Of course there is a process and that not all roads in the state will increase to 75 mph. Legislation and regulations will have to be changed. I believe reckless driving is currently at 80 mph or over. I bet that would be changed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut