Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 09:53 AM

21,516 posts, read 30,922,140 times

Advertisements

The bill would boost maximum speed limits on "multiple lane, limited access highway" to 75 miles per hour while increasing fines by 15 percent. Speeds greater than 90 miles per hour would constitute reckless driving.

A legislative committee will hold a hearing Monday on two button topics for drivers: texting and speeding. - Courant.com

I think it's a great idea. It's actually kind of funny that some stretches of our highways are still at 55 mph. Might as well alter the law so we're not making criminals out of 95% of the population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2013, 10:08 AM

2,486 posts, read 4,683,948 times
Personally I disagree with this proposal. I admit I have a different perspective than most people since I don't rely on the interstate highway to get to work, but I still don't feel it's a good idea. I know everybody's in a hurry these days, but is it really too much to ask people to leave work 10 minutes earlier if that's what it takes so people don't treat the highways like a drag strip?

Old 02-04-2013, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikefromCT View Post
Personally I disagree with this proposal. I admit I have a different perspective than most people since I don't rely on the interstate highway to get to work, but I still don't feel it's a good idea. I know everybody's in a hurry these days, but is it really too much to ask people to leave work 10 minutes earlier if that's what it takes so people don't treat the highways like a drag strip?
Well, IMO, driving 70, you can get pulled over and ticketed. People seem to forget that even those of us who cruise in the middle lane between 70-75 are technically breaking the law. That is ridiculous. Also, I think it would eliminate many left lane campers; drivers who love to cruise in the left lane going at exactly the speed limit while cars try to whiz around them.

I think you would feel differently if police pulled you over at 67 mph and gave you a nice fine.

Old 02-04-2013, 10:18 AM

691 posts, read 1,143,153 times
I'm all for it, as long as its accompanied by a higher minimum speed (60?). This would help eliminate the high degree of variations of speeds that we currently have. However, only a few of our roads would have traffic light enough and road designs sufficient enough for these speeds.

-I84 east of Hartford
-I384
-I91 south of the 691 split
-Route 11
-I395
-Route 2 south of Glastonbury
-Route 9 outside of Middletown

Any others?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
The bill would boost maximum speed limits on "multiple lane, limited access highway" to 75 miles per hour while increasing fines by 15 percent. Speeds greater than 90 miles per hour would constitute reckless driving.

A legislative committee will hold a hearing Monday on two button topics for drivers: texting and speeding. - Courant.com

I think it's a great idea. It's actually kind of funny that some stretches of our highways are still at 55 mph. Might as well alter the law so we're not making criminals out of 95% of the population.

Old 02-04-2013, 10:20 AM

370 posts, read 603,900 times
I don't think our highway infrastructure can support a speed limit of 75 mph, especially with our poorly designed on/off ramps and very sporadic sections where the 3rd lane ends and requires merging.

In most states this speed limit is a no-brainer. I feel safer and more confident driving at speeds of 90 mph on I-5 in California than I do driving at 75 mph on I-95 or I-84 in Connecticut.

Old 02-04-2013, 10:20 AM

11,243 posts, read 18,717,750 times
It would be interesting in that no Northeast state (not sure about Maine though) is even past 65 as a limit, in fact, you have to go to Kansas and Texas to find the nearest states over 70.

The reason is the relative congestion of the Northeast (and the fact that many states are pretty small in size). I'd be surprised if it happens, CT is the last state I thought would have a speed limit that high, the only places I can imagine them putting it on is I-84 east of Vernon/Manchester and maybe some semi-rural parts of I-91 between New Haven and Hartford (I doubt they'd do it on I-84 between Danbury and Waterbury unless/until the add a lane to each side) and I-395.

If anywhere in the Northeast I thought it might be one of the northern New England states or NY or PA because of their vast rural stretches.

Old 02-04-2013, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulpfiction View Post
I'm all for it, as long as its accompanied by a higher minimum speed (60?).
Good point. The current 40 as a minimum speed is downright dangerous.

Old 02-04-2013, 10:27 AM

Location: A Very Naughtytown In Northwestern Montanifornia U.S.A.
1,088 posts, read 1,937,294 times
Default In our state of Montana ~♥~

We never had a state speed limit for years before the feds imposed the 55 mph limit. When that went bye bye our state began establishing speed limits.
On the big interstate freeways the limit is generally 75. On the two lane paved state highways it is 70 but there are places where the speeds are reduced for some good reason or another, usually because of sharp curves or close proximity to an urban area where other roads or highways are intersecting.

We like to go fast but there is a "Limit" ~♥~

13,250 posts, read 42,628,186 times
I'm not in favor of an increased speed limit, even though I can't stand driving at or under the current one. What I -am- in favor of, however, is a "front car rule" for the passing lane.

IF the front car in a line of traffic, is driving slower than the lane immediately to his right, then he is subject to a doubled fine for driving too slow.

No one belongs in the passing lane, unless they're either:

Passing someone
Preparing to pass someone
Cruising with no one behind him trying to pass someone or preparing to pass someone
Exiting or preparing to exit into a left lane exit
Entering from an left lane entrance.

ANYONE who is driving in the left lane, with someone behind him trying to pass him, should move over if it's physically possible, regardless of how fast or slow he is travelling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UconnHusky1 View Post
I don't think our highway infrastructure can support a speed limit of 75 mph, especially with our poorly designed on/off ramps and very sporadic sections where the 3rd lane ends and requires merging.
Of course it can. The average speed right now is estimated to be somewhere between 70-75, depending on the stretch and time of day. Many people far exceed that already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut