Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2013, 11:11 AM

442 posts, read 455,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
That's understandable, but as stated, scientific studies have been done on this. It's not getting defensive because most people fail to read an entire thread before responding. I'm simply directing them to where the study was noted. One thing I can't stand is uninformed opinions.

Opinions can't trump a scientific study (or studies). Period.
You said people drive at comfort levels, regardless of the posted speed limit. I replied that maybe those comfort levels are not based on driving ability, but on the posted speed limit, say, going 20 over is ok. If the people driving at 75 get comfortable, it's logical to think they would get comfy going faster.

There are so many variables to take into consideration that simply saying your statement is scientific fact is laughable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
If someone drives 55 (the current limit) on 95 in rush hour traffic that's moving swiftly, they should get a ticket. It's dangerous and disrupts the flow of traffic.
Being punished for following the law? There's a brilliant idea.

I believe both you, Stylo, and you, kidyankee, both complained of aggressive drivers a thread about I 95 a while back. Well, driving 20 over the speed limit is aggressive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2013, 11:23 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,897,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post

I think it's totally reasonable that the speed limit be 75, and a variance of 5MPH over and under is accepted, but 80 and above and you're susceptible for a ticket. That's exactly how it works now, but with speed limit signs that everyone ignores.

If someone drives 55 (the current limit) on 95 in rush hour traffic that's moving swiftly, they should get a ticket. It's dangerous and disrupts the flow of traffic.
I am not comfortable driving over 70, and I've been driving over 30 years. I am amazed at some of the posters insisting people should drive 70 or higher. All the driving classes in the world are not going to make me feel safe driving that fast. Also, do we really want to make senior citizens drive 70 mph or faster?

Old 02-05-2013, 11:26 AM

21,618 posts, read 31,197,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Scorcho View Post
You said people drive at comfort levels, regardless of the posted speed limit. I replied that maybe those comfort levels are not based on driving ability, but on the posted speed limit, say, going 20 over is ok. If the people driving at 75 get comfortable, it's logical to think they would get comfy going faster.
Not so. You're assuming the cliche "give an inch, take a mile". You're assuming that people will go faster just because they can. Ever think that the reason people drive between 75-80 is because that's their comfort zone? Some people have the capability to drive at this speed a lot more safely than others, simply due to type of vehicle and/or personal skills. Just because car A's 4cyl, 15 year old engine can't get much above 60 doesn't mean car B's shouldn't.

You're right - there are so many variables, which is exactly why leaving the speed limit unnecessarily low is silly, especially given the absurdity that 9 of 10 drivers are regularly made criminals because of it.

Quote:
I believe both you, Stylo, and you, kidyankee, both complained of aggressive drivers a thread about I 95 a while back. Well, driving 20 over the speed limit is aggressive.
I'm well aware of what constitutes reckless driving according to the law, but you labeling people aggressive is entirely subjective.

I don't drive recklessly and I condemn people who go over 80 mph - anywhere. Personally, I can't stand when people drive like morons. That being said, there is a difference between someone maintaining a speed of 75 while leaving plenty of space around them, accelerating and decelarating when required, and someone driving 65, tailgating, and weaving in an out of traffic. You seem to put someone safely driving at 75 in the same category of those who drive recklessly. It does not start and end with speed limits.

Old 02-05-2013, 11:28 AM

21,618 posts, read 31,197,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
I am not comfortable driving over 70, and I've been driving over 30 years. I am amazed at some of the posters insisting people should drive 70 or higher. All the driving classes in the world are not going to make me feel safe driving that fast. Also, do we really want to make senior citizens drive 70 mph or faster?
I don't think anyone is suggesting that everyone drive 70 or faster. I do think, however, that if you're going to be on a highway, you should be going at least 60 - and in fact, I think the minimum speed should be somewhere around 60, and maximum at 75.

If a senior citizen can't keep up by driving at least 60 on the interstate, then they shouldn't be driving, period.

Old 02-05-2013, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Not so. You're assuming the cliche "give an inch, take a mile". You're assuming that people will go faster just because they can. Ever think that the reason people drive between 75-80 is because that's their comfort zone? Some people have the capability to drive at this speed a lot more safely than others, simply due to type of vehicle and/or personal skills. Just because car A's 4cyl, 15 year old engine can't get much above 60 doesn't mean car B's shouldn't.

You're right - there are so many variables, which is exactly why leaving the speed limit unnecessarily low is silly, especially given the absurdity that 9 of 10 drivers are regularly made criminals because of it.

I'm well aware of what constitutes reckless driving according to the law, but you labeling people aggressive is entirely subjective.

I don't drive recklessly and I condemn people who go over 80 mph - anywhere. Personally, I can't stand when people drive like morons. That being said, there is a difference between someone maintaining a speed of 75 while leaving plenty of space around them, accelerating and decelarating when required, and someone driving 65, tailgating, and weaving in an out of traffic. You seem to put someone safely driving at 75 in the same category of those who drive recklessly. It does not start and end with speed limits.
I wasn't assuming anything, really. I stated I didn't know what motivates people to drive fast, and several posters have said cops don't pull people over for going under 80 on the interstate. That could be their motivation.

But whatever, you asked for opinions, not everyone agrees.

Quote:
You seem to put someone safely driving at 75 in the same category of those who drive recklessly. It does not start and end with speed limits.
If the posted speed limit is 55mph, then driving at 75mph is reckless.

I would prefer NOT to increase the speed limits based on my experience driving in CT.

Old 02-05-2013, 11:38 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,897,830 times
Quote:
I don't think anyone is suggesting that everyone drive 70 or faster. I do think, however, that if you're going to be on a highway, you should be going at least 60 - and in fact, I think the minimum speed should be somewhere around 60, and maximum at 75.

If a senior citizen can't keep up by driving at least 60 on the interstate, then they shouldn't be driving, period.
Actually, Stylo said people driving 55 now should be ticketed, and also suggested anyone driving 5mph under 75 is "accepted". I personally tend to drive around 65, not 55, but I don't think people should be ticketed for driving below 55, even if the law changes. Many if not most senior citizens shouldn't be on the road to begin with, but until we change the laws to test them periodically, I think they would be a greater danger if forced to drive at speeds 65 or higher.

I lost an aunt who was driving 75 mph and lost control, I'm just not comfortable with being forced to drive that fast.

Old 02-05-2013, 11:42 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,385,103 times
I think all speed limits should be adjusted to the speed at which the majority of drivers travel at on that particular road.
If the majority travel at 75 MPH that should be the limit. With only a 1mph leeway
You get caught at 77 and you get a speeding ticket.

Why should all of us drivers have to guess at what we can get away with?

Right now if the speed is 65 I drive at about 70-73 when I should be driving at 75 legally.

If you get stopped doing 70 in a 65 and you get a ticket everybody says the cop is being a prick when he is just doing his job.

If we knew the exact speed we could drive without getting a ticket only the real morons who don't care about limits would get ticketed.

Old 02-05-2013, 11:42 AM

21,738 posts, read 28,070,632 times
Quote:

No, there is a HUGE difference between driving 75-80 competently and driving aggressively.

Old 02-05-2013, 11:43 AM

21,738 posts, read 28,070,632 times
Quote:

Absolutely. We post min. speeds on many highways. 95 should be 60, 55 if you really want to push it.

Old 02-05-2013, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
If we knew the exact speed we could drive without getting a ticket only the real morons who don't care about limits would get ticketed.
Try the posted speed limit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut