U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 04:03 PM

10,354 posts, read 7,267,354 times

Advertisements

Do u think Startford have gone hill especially near the Bridgeport City Line
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2013, 04:42 PM

8,780 posts, read 16,264,774 times
The area that borders Bridgeport at Broadbridge is still the same(good). The area at Success has declined slightly(still safe). The rest of the areas that border Bridgeport have noticeably declined. Hollister Heights/Bruce Avenue especially so.

The rest of the town away from the borders is essentially the same. It had been trending downward during the real estate bubble when poor people were being given mortgages that they had no business receiving. With that problem out of the way now, i foresee slight improvement in most neighborhoods in the future.

Last edited by Stratford, Ct. Resident; 02-05-2013 at 04:50 PM..

Old 02-05-2013, 05:05 PM

15,744 posts, read 22,025,925 times
I see most of Stratford doing well as the vast majority of neighborhoods in town are very nice, especially the northern sections. The scumbags of Bridgeport are relocating to Ansonia and Derby, not so much Stratford.

Old 02-05-2013, 06:35 PM

1,183 posts, read 1,287,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I see most of Stratford doing well as the vast majority of neighborhoods in town are very nice, especially the northern sections. The scumbags of Bridgeport are relocating to Ansonia and Derby, not so much Stratford.
Yuppppps. Poor Derby.

Old 02-05-2013, 06:50 PM

8,780 posts, read 16,264,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
The scumbags of Bridgeport are relocating to Ansonia and Derby, not so much Stratford.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeker2211 View Post
Yuppppps. Poor Derby.
Actually, it might not be totally fair to put it that way. The undesirables generally don't need to move out of Bridgeport. The people that do move are usually decent one's motivated to get their kids out of that environment and into something a little better. The problems tend to come when friends/family visit them at their new residence.

Old 02-05-2013, 10:46 PM

14,746 posts, read 17,984,473 times
Unfortunately, many border areas continue to suffer, and the public schools don't benefit from Bridgeport's proximity.

That said, I like Stratford and it has a lot of really nice areas that I think will continue to improve. I think its biggest challenges moving forward are improving school performance and taxes.

I think the towns that are on/around the outer edge of coastal FFC - Stratford, Shelton, Milford - will continue to improve as a new generation of educated/successful young homebuyers continues to set roots in those towns for their location and affordability. Many professional millennials that rented in Norwalk/Stamford will go east when it's time to buy. I've seen it happen with MANY of my friends and coworkers moving to those 3 towns from more expensive areas when they finally bought homes. I can think of at least a dozen people off the top of my head just in the past 3 years. I think you'll see test scores improving over time, and real estate investments being steady.

It's either that, or home prices will have to come down further west/south so that you don't need a HHI income of $250k+ to settle down in a decent town. But I don't see that happening.

On a separate note, anyone check out the new Two Roads Brewery in Stratford? Quite the epic addition to the area.

Old 02-06-2013, 09:39 AM

1,031 posts, read 2,050,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
Actually, it might not be totally fair to put it that way. The undesirables generally don't need to move out of Bridgeport. The people that do move are usually decent one's motivated to get their kids out of that environment and into something a little better. The problems tend to come when friends/family visit them at their new residence.
Don't know if I'd agree with this. Kidyankee is right. Acquaintances from high school who moved from Bridgeport to Ansonia are unmotivated; have steady blue collar jobs but also do drugs, have no spouses or kids. My friend moved to Ansonia to be with her mother but left town quickly because she felt unsafe in her neighborhood. I wouldn't categorize Ansonia as a place to raise a family. From what I've seen, it's more of a place for single 20-somethings to own a starter home before settling down or a place for 30-something stoners to own a home. The older residents who have been in town for more than a decade are better categorized as "regular Joe" blue collar workers with kids.

Old 02-06-2013, 07:47 PM

1,788 posts, read 3,448,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
On a separate note, anyone check out the new Two Roads Brewery in Stratford? Quite the epic addition to the area.
Two Roads is pretty cool. It's huge, and they've def made good use of the place. It's always nice to see someone take an old brick edifice like that and do something nice with it, which they've done. There's only a few beers of theirs that I really like, but still, it will be a nice addition to town. I was disappointed, though, that they only offer tours twice a day - first one at 1PM, the other at 3, they limit it to 20 people per tour, they charge you for it, and they make no accommodations. The staff seemed kind of aloof, too. Don't get me wrong, it's a cool place, it's a good way to spend a saturday afternoon, and if friends of mine wanted to go back I'd make the trip. But there's two microbreweries to the north of where I live, and I frequent both of them, so I have a bit of a different perspective on these. Both of the ones in Bloomfield offer a better bang for the buck comparatively, and so does the one in Oxford.

Old 02-07-2013, 12:07 AM

14,746 posts, read 17,984,473 times
I think Two Roads has some room to improve on the beers. I really liked the holiday ale and White IPA though.

New England Brewing in Woodbridge is my favorite in the state.

Old 02-07-2013, 02:38 PM

751 posts, read 1,514,177 times
I've been living in Stratford for over a dozen years and have felt a decline in the quality of living. Mind you, I had few incidences of property theft in my "nice neighborhood" -- they all happened specifically to me over the last few years. As a result, my opinion is a bit more negatively biased.

Also, taxes continue to be quite high. FWIW, One of my friends wanted to buy a house on a road where half of it is Stratford-territory and the other is Shelton-territory. The house she was eyeing stood on Stratford-territory and it was asking for $12,000/year in property taxes. Within a stone's throw was a Shelton house where the town records say taxes were about $5,000/year. Similar builds, similar property acreage, etc.

IMO, if you have the money to live in Stratford, I would choose nearby towns that offer a better quality of living. Milford comes to mind, as does Shelton. Trumbull is also a nice town to live in (aside from the widely reported drug issues that plague Trumbull High).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut