U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2013, 10:05 AM

1,552 posts, read 1,397,531 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Breaking news alert on my phone:

"Governor Malloy to declare state of emergency, state roads subject to closure beginning at noon"
Well, I guess I made the right choice by not driving to NY to work. It would be a nightmare getting back up here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2013, 10:09 AM

65,491 posts, read 47,728,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Breaking news alert on my phone:

"Governor Malloy to declare state of emergency, state roads subject to closure beginning at noon"

His Tweets can be seen here.
]https://twitter.com/GovMalloyOffice

"We're asking all #CT residents to prepare for road closures starting at noon. Limit nonessential travel. More info soon "

"Gov. Malloy is asking all residents to limit travel. Roads will be subject to closure beginning at noon. More info to follow"

"Gov. Malloy will be declaring a State of Emergency in preparation for the coming blizzard."

Old 02-08-2013, 10:43 AM

1,292 posts, read 2,092,783 times
still not coming down that hard but it is sticking.. roads and driveway becoming treacherous.

Old 02-08-2013, 10:52 AM

8,850 posts, read 14,300,935 times
Uh-oh.

This source says the amounts while hefty, might not be as epic. On their FB page, they are claiming that south of the Merritt and 287 it might change to rain for awhile and be mixed/sleet up to I-84 until 5pm. New map from this source.

(BTW, down here it did go to rain for a bit (AFTER my post about it snowing harder ironically), map showed rain up to 287 and a bit into Greenwich, but now it's sleeting (most recent map I saw showed rain up to Bronx-Westchester line, then sleet for most of southern Westchester, but snow in all of CT, so line moved back south a bit).

They claim it's because the low offshore is hugging closer to the coast than they thought. Here's their new map, but we'll see:

Here's their exact statement (granted, only the "east of 287" part refers to CT, and then only a tiny bit of the southwest, but map clearly shows reduced totals for western 1/3 of the state):

The snow/rain line is creeping northward. The nor'easter is tracking much closer to the coast and changing most places S & E of I-287 over to rain. The City, nearby suburbs, and points along the coast will see windswept rain this afternoon. The rain looks to change over back to snow after 5 PM, then heavy snow through the early overnight hours. Blizzard conditions still possible for a few hours late this evening. Long story short, N & E of I-287 there is still the opportunity of 12"+ of snow. South of I-287 near the City there looks to be 6-10"... Coastal New Jersey the numbers drop off to 1-3".

Old 02-08-2013, 11:07 AM

138 posts, read 437,054 times
It's been a steady snow here in Trumbull since about 7:30am. Can't see the grass anymore.

Old 02-08-2013, 11:28 AM

Crunch time... I hope people are off the roads within the hour or so.

That heavy precip is about to hit the cold air.. heavy snow bands will start to make its way in. Winds gusting to 50mph around the center of the storm near Virginia now. So expect 25mph wind gusts soon

Old 02-08-2013, 11:43 AM

2,068 posts, read 2,330,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
Uh-oh.

This source says the amounts while hefty, might not be as epic. On their FB page, they are claiming that south of the Merritt and 287 it might change to rain for awhile and be mixed/sleet up to I-84 until 5pm. New map from this source.

(BTW, down here it did go to rain for a bit (AFTER my post about it snowing harder ironically), map showed rain up to 287 and a bit into Greenwich, but now it's sleeting (most recent map I saw showed rain up to Bronx-Westchester line, then sleet for most of southern Westchester, but snow in all of CT, so line moved back south a bit).

They claim it's because the low offshore is hugging closer to the coast than they thought. Here's their new map, but we'll see:

Here's their exact statement (granted, only the "east of 287" part refers to CT, and then only a tiny bit of the southwest, but map clearly shows reduced totals for western 1/3 of the state):

The snow/rain line is creeping northward. The nor'easter is tracking much closer to the coast and changing most places S & E of I-287 over to rain. The City, nearby suburbs, and points along the coast will see windswept rain this afternoon. The rain looks to change over back to snow after 5 PM, then heavy snow through the early overnight hours. Blizzard conditions still possible for a few hours late this evening. Long story short, N & E of I-287 there is still the opportunity of 12"+ of snow. South of I-287 near the City there looks to be 6-10"... Coastal New Jersey the numbers drop off to 1-3".
That would actually be FINE with me!

Old 02-08-2013, 12:00 PM

SPC Meso Discussion for Heavy snow in areas outlined in Blue. Snow rates 1-2" per hr by evening

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/products/md/md0123.html

Old 02-08-2013, 12:25 PM

1,248 posts, read 1,233,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
All I can say, is that this had -better- be a driving hazard at some point between noon and 4pm. Because, that was my explanation to my boss as to why I'm not coming in for my shift today. If I worked in like, a supermarket, or restaurant, or a hotel, where customers might actually NEED to be in the face of a blizzard (y'know, food, water, shelter), then I can imagine myself actually challenging death on the way to work for a low-paying part time job. But an office supply company? Really?
Don't even look back. Seriously, the freaking Gov Malloy has asked all state workers to leave by 1:00 (I think) so there is NO reason why YOU should have to make an exception and risk getting stuck....or worse.

That's your bosses problem not yours.

The ONLY job I can see reasonably making an effort to show up would be an absolutely essential thing like dealing with very sick patients or other medical issues. But even then.......

But no way in hell for a retail job!!!

Old 02-08-2013, 12:33 PM

1,552 posts, read 1,397,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by papafox View Post
Don't even look back. Seriously, the freaking Gov Malloy has asked all state workers to leave by 1:00 (I think) so there is NO reason why YOU should have to make an exception and risk getting stuck....or worse.

That's your bosses problem not yours.

What he said! Seriously though, I work for a car dealer in NY(they never close....for anything.....) I chose to stay home because I knew getting there would be fine,getting home would be bad. I am not risking that. My wife commutes with me and I dont want to risk her life too. Its just a job......
Just saw on Facebook that Key Hyundai in Milford closed up and sent their workers home to be safe. The owner is good like that and I wish more business owners were like her in that sense. I bought my car there and they are awesome which is why I mentioned them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut