U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2013, 03:45 PM

183 posts, read 280,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
I live on a tertiary street in Fairfield, and no snowplow has appeared yet. The town says it will take until tomorrow late in the day to get all the streets cleared.
Same here. A plow came through early this morning, made a big pile at the stop sign and then turned around. Haven't seen one since...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2013, 03:58 PM

2,766 posts, read 8,842,109 times
Do you think roads will be cleared enough tomorrow to drive 40 minutes away early in the day? It will require driving through central CT.

Old 02-09-2013, 04:00 PM

64,994 posts, read 47,321,826 times
Satellite view of the NorEaster

Old 02-09-2013, 04:03 PM

The EURO model had this storm since February 3rd and did not stop on every single run. It was something like 12 runs in a row while GFS had nothing AGAIN! Until couple days before. Euro needs to be acknowledged big time.

Old 02-09-2013, 04:21 PM

5,531 posts, read 8,188,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KH02 View Post
Do you think roads will be cleared enough tomorrow to drive 40 minutes away early in the day? It will require driving through central CT.
That depends on how easily you can get to a main throughfare. I'm guessing the main roads will be clear, but that does you no good if you can't get to a main road.

Old 02-09-2013, 04:23 PM

14,722 posts, read 17,944,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelizard860 View Post
Really worth the risk of a rollover so you can maybe get through a snowstorm that happens once in a lifetime? Invest in a snowmobile. Makes more sense.
If you rollover a Wrangler going through a few feet of snow on public roads, that is an epic fail.

Old 02-09-2013, 04:42 PM

1,240 posts, read 1,222,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
This is when I wish I had a lifted Wrangler.
Ahhh, heck with any wheeled vehicle!! I wish I had a snowmobile to take on these roads! That'd be fun as hell!!

Old 02-09-2013, 05:04 PM

1,240 posts, read 1,222,909 times
So Cambium, give us a post mortem analysis of which models were studs and which were duds when it came to forecasting this system.

Maybe break it down in terms of which one was best with the track, vs which was best with the barometric pressure as well as precip amounts.

THanks!!

Old 02-09-2013, 05:12 PM

8,831 posts, read 14,237,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Satellite view of the NorEaster
Wow it looks like a hurricane!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
The EURO model had this storm since February 3rd and did not stop on every single run. It was something like 12 runs in a row while GFS had nothing AGAIN! Until couple days before. Euro needs to be acknowledged big time.
I hope it keeps being that way because if I'm not mistaken it's the GFS claiming a snowstorm on Valentine's Day and the Euro saying nothing....

Old 02-09-2013, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by papafox View Post
So Cambium, give us a post mortem analysis of which models were studs and which were duds when it came to forecasting this system.

Maybe break it down in terms of which one was best with the track, vs which was best with the barometric pressure as well as precip amounts.
I'm still getting my mind together on everything.. The pressure never dropped as strong as GFS had but I think the NAM got the amounts right... but Euro had 2-3' in CT as well. (look at the very first post). I think its easy to say Euro was pretty much dead on the whole time. And its ALWAYS hard to know where the axis of heavy snow setsup. That's just a sudden atmosphere situation that no model can pick out days or even hours before. This time it setup in central Long island into Central CT and just hovered there for some time. Rates were insane from 8pm-1am. All in all, the forecast from day before was spot on saying nobody should be on the roads after lunch.

Boston in the Top 5 snowstorms since 1800s. Bridgeport I have to assume in The top 3 at least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
I hope it keeps being that way because if I'm not mistaken it's the GFS claiming a snowstorm on Valentine's Day and the Euro saying nothing....
Yeah, I think it stays south like Euro showing. We're not ready for another one.

I'm worried the rain will weigh down roofs on Monday for areas that got over 2 feet. Maybe the melt tomorrow will help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut