U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 02-09-2013, 10:38 PM
 
Location: On the Rails in Northern NJ
12,381 posts, read 22,620,647 times
Reputation: 4504

Advertisements

Some pictures i found of New Haven....


Winter Storm Nemo by chrissam42, on Flickr


Winter Storm Nemo by chrissam42, on Flickr


Winter Storm Nemo by chrissam42, on Flickr


Winter Storm Nemo by chrissam42, on Flickr


Winter Storm Nemo by chrissam42, on Flickr


Winter Storm Nemo by chrissam42, on Flickr


Winter Storm Nemo by chrissam42, on Flickr


Winter Storm Nemo by chrissam42, on Flickr


Winter Storm Nemo by chrissam42, on Flickr


Winter Storm Nemo by chrissam42, on Flickr


Winter Storm Nemo by chrissam42, on Flickr


Winter Storm Nemo by chrissam42, on Flickr


Winter Storm Nemo by chrissam42, on Flickr


Winter Storm Nemo by chrissam42, on Flickr


Winter Storm Nemo by chrissam42, on Flickr


Winter Storm Nemo by chrissam42, on Flickr


Main Line tracks at Stamford by MTAPhotos, on Flickr


New Canaan snow drift by MTAPhotos, on Flickr
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-09-2013, 10:46 PM
 
3,720 posts, read 4,438,510 times
Reputation: 4741
I do not miss shoveling out a car. So glad to have a parking garage now.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2013, 04:31 AM
 
Location: Central CT, sometimes NH.
3,255 posts, read 4,907,480 times
Reputation: 3014
The reality is that the type of equipment designed to remove snow of this volume is very specialized. Few states or local municipalities have many huge snowblowers, or earthmovers equipped for road use in their fleets. The tax payers in most cities and towns would not approve of purchasing such specialized equipment. Independent contractors typically wouldn't purchase this equipment either as they would get little use and not cover the high costs associated with purchasing and maintaining the equipment. Contractors purchase equipment that can be constantly run not sitting around.

For the most part the snow removal equipment the states and municipalities have is adequate for 99% of the storms we deal with. This storm is the other 1%.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2013, 04:43 AM
 
30,312 posts, read 31,181,855 times
Reputation: 13979
According to NBC news the service on Metro North between Stamford and New Haven is still suspended due to ice on the tracks.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2013, 05:07 AM
 
5,239 posts, read 6,512,514 times
Reputation: 11301
I'm not whining either, just wishing you all well. We really need a smiley with a snow shovel. Great photos, I'm sure everyone has been doing the best they can. Amazing storm.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2013, 05:37 AM
 
2,766 posts, read 8,839,168 times
Reputation: 1566
Has anyone braved the roads at this point and care to tell about conditions on them?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2013, 05:38 AM
 
2,890 posts, read 2,962,298 times
Reputation: 1419
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post
The reality is that the type of equipment designed to remove snow of this volume is very specialized. Few states or local municipalities have many huge snowblowers, or earthmovers equipped for road use in their fleets. The tax payers in most cities and towns would not approve of purchasing such specialized equipment. Independent contractors typically wouldn't purchase this equipment either as they would get little use and not cover the high costs associated with purchasing and maintaining the equipment. Contractors purchase equipment that can be constantly run not sitting around.

For the most part the snow removal equipment the states and municipalities have is adequate for 99% of the storms we deal with. This storm is the other 1%.
For the most part this is accurate, however the real snowbelt communities of upstate NY (Oswego) have only traditional equipment and fare quite well during storms of equal or greater intensity. The key is to plow with vigor during the big dumps. Do not let your guard down nor throw up your arms in frustration. The same holds true with homeowners- frequent shoveling and snowblowing even if that means 2 or 3am.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2013, 05:41 AM
 
Location: Live in NY State, work in CT
8,829 posts, read 14,231,780 times
Reputation: 3246
Quote:
Originally Posted by trishguard View Post
Uh, if the trucks were out plowing the roads during the course of the storm, they wouldn't have been stuck in their parking lots.
Some official noted that at one point it was coming down at almost 6" per hour. If that's true, even the trucks likely would've gotten stuck like what happened to many cars dumb enough to be out on I-95 and the Long Island Expwy during this.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by trishguard View Post
No need to insult me. Our main roads are pretty clear and I have nothing to whine about.
I agree no need to insult you, but if you live west of Westport it makes sense that your roads are clear, as you (and I) got 1/2 the snow amount (or even less) that those pictures of New Haven posted earlier this page got (thanks Nexis, gives clear perspective and show why Metro North is still closed west of Stamford). 20" is a lot of snow, but it's still a big difference from 35-40". Where I am I think we "only" got a foot and still if you have to rely on street parking it is very hard as the plowed up spaces are enough that either cars are just not going out (especially since it is the weekend) or it's hard to get into the spaces where someone shoveled just enough to get their car out. So I can just imagine how truly impossible that is in say New Haven right now.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2013, 06:02 AM
 
Location: Near the Coast SWCT
64,972 posts, read 47,284,481 times
Reputation: 10507
From Hamden, CT: Source: Connecticut's Extreme Weather Home | WXedge.com | Blizzard 2013 - Another view of the snow drift#

Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-10-2013, 06:03 AM
 
Location: Near the Coast SWCT
64,972 posts, read 47,284,481 times
Reputation: 10507
193 Reports. Complete List. I'm still a bit shocked at seeing 25-35" falling within 24hrs..

Connecticut's Extreme Weather Home | WXedge.com | Blizzard 2013 - Complete List: 193 Snowfall Reports
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top