U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2013, 03:39 PM

8,857 posts, read 14,310,418 times

Advertisements

Great pics Cam! Nice "Grandma Moses" style scenes......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2013, 04:22 PM

1,552 posts, read 1,398,836 times
I took a pic of our parking area in our complex. Same exact view as the morning I woke up from the blizzard and looked out the window at the car tombs......this one is exactly 7 days later. First reaction once I recovered from the shock was where do I start shoveling and that they could never plow us out. Mine is the red car and you can see the mirror sticking out in the top pic. 30" of snow here. The road in our complex is 3/4 of a mile to the main road and we are the very last parking area......in a cul de sac. Even though we were not fully plowed until Monday thru Tuesday, the plow company did a great job in a bad situation.

Before (Saturday morning of blizzard)

After (7 days later)

Old 02-18-2013, 08:14 AM

5,548 posts, read 8,237,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
I would not call it incompetence. These cities just do not have enough resources to handle these events. They pretty much have reduced their road maintenance staff to bare minimums and do not have the money to pay outside contractors.

I thought Waterbury's idea to use kids to shovel out the schools was a great idea. The schools got cleared, the kids made some money and were kept from getting into trouble with nothing to do. I am however waiting for the unions to complain that this took work from their people. If that does happen I hope the media jumps all over them. Jay
I don't know if you saw Bridgeport in the days after the storm, but the situation there was simply inexcusable. I can understand that they didn't do as well as the wealthier and less dense suburban towns that surround them. What I can't legitimately understand is how, a full 72 hours after the storm ended, they didn't even have more of their main roads clear.

Bridgeport is run by a corrupt, one-party political machine and it fails to deliver reasonable services to its residents because it doesn't have to. I'm sure the DPW there is run by politically appointed goldbrick hacks who were probably on a vacation in the Caribbean when the storm hit. A bit of hyperbole, but the city is just not run competently, and there's no reason it has to be, because nobody will be held accountable anyway. That's the sad truth, and no amount of additional "resources" is going to change that, when they are completely wasting the resources that they do have.

Old 02-18-2013, 08:40 AM

8,857 posts, read 14,310,418 times
26 injured as snow sparks crashes on I-95 in Connecticut - U.S. News

Old 02-20-2013, 07:49 AM

65,588 posts, read 47,800,507 times
Default Snowstorm Rankings NESIS

This storm has been ranked. Rankings are based on population of affected areas and amount of snow.

On a category scale of 1-5, NESIS has it at 3. (Major).
Out of 46 its #25 on the list of high impact storms.

Snow and Ice | Regional Snowfall Index (RSI)

Old 02-20-2013, 09:38 AM

240 posts, read 433,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
This storm has been ranked. Rankings are based on population of affected areas and amount of snow.

On a category scale of 1-5, NESIS has it at 3. (Major).
Out of 46 its #25 on the list of high impact storms.

Snow and Ice | Regional Snowfall Index (RSI)

Three storms in the 2010-2011 winter beat this one.

Old 05-14-2013, 07:01 PM

65,588 posts, read 47,800,507 times
Since its related to this thread....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
**It's Official** ...
Ansonia 36" in 24hrs beats old Falls Village record of 30" Home :: Northeast Regional Climate Center

Here's the official NWS statement. In the books folks. The most snow this state ever recorded in 24hrs time came from this blizzard.

http://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=NWS&issuedby=OKX&product=PNS

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NEW YORK NY
318 PM EDT TUE MAY 14 2013

...24-HOUR SNOWFALL RECORD ESTABLISHED FOR THE STATE OF CONNECTICUT...

THE BLIZZARD WHICH OCCURRED FEBRUARY 8 THROUGH 9 OF THIS YEAR PRODUCED OVER TWO FEET OF SNOW ACROSS MOST OF CONNECTICUT. MANY LOCATIONS ACROSS THE CENTRAL PORTION OF THE STATE RECEIVED OVER 30 INCHES OF SNOW.

AN OFFICIAL SNOWFALL MEASUREMENT...TAKEN IN ANSONIA...RECORDED 36.0 INCHES IN A 24-HOUR PERIOD...ECLIPSING THE PREVIOUS RECORD OF 30.0 INCHES SET AT FALLS VILLAGE IN 1969. ANSONIA...OFFICIALLY DESIGNATED AS ANSONIA 1 NE...IS LOCATED IN NEW HAVEN COUNTY AND IS AN ESTABLISHED NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE COOPERATIVE OBSERVING STATION. THIS STATION WAS ORIGINALLY ESTABLISHED IN 1941.

AS A RESULT OF THE RECORD BREAKING MEASUREMENT...A STATE CLIMATE EXTREMES COMMITTEE WAS CONVENED TO ASSESS THE VALIDITY OF THE OBSERVATION. THE COMMITTEE CONSISTED OF REPRESENTATIVES FROM THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE...NATIONAL CLIMATIC DATA CENTER AND
NORTHEAST REGIONAL CLIMATE CENTER. A REPORT WAS COMPILED...AND ON APRIL 24...THE COMMITTEE MET AND UNANIMOUSLY VOTED TO RECOMMEND THIS RECORD BE CERTIFIED BY THE DIRECTOR OF THE NATIONAL CLIMATIC DATA CENTER. ON MAY 1...THE DIRECTOR OF THE NATIONAL CLIMATIC DATA CENTER CERTIFIED THIS RECORD...MAKING THE 36.0 INCHES OF SNOW RECORDED IN
ANSONIA THE OFFICIAL 24-HOUR STATE SNOWFALL RECORD FOR CONNECTICUT. THIS RECORD AND OFFICIAL REPORT CAN BE ACCESSED AT: HTTP://WWW.NCDC.NOAA.GOV/EXTREMES/SCEC/RECORDS (ALL IN LOWER CASE)

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut