U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2013, 06:41 PM

1,240 posts, read 1,223,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
2. But be prepared to come across some messy impassable roads because the storm wont hit Maine until Saturday morning and then back end bands till afternoon. You might be ok if you feel up to the risk.
Everyone needs to be off the roads after noon Friday north of I-84.
At least i'm on the ground and not flying in it!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2013, 06:42 PM

65,023 posts, read 47,349,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr0gman View Post
Cambium,
Since you are the resident expert on a forum that seems to have a lot of experts (not sarcasm) I figure you are the best one to ask about the potential impacts for the greater Albany, NY-region. I used the link you just posted and it's saying the mean total snowfall of 21.37 and I'm wondering if that's accurate or am I just reading it wrong because I haven't seen anything say that high for albany
NCEP SREF Plume Viewer
Yup, that's what the latest SREF model (a reliable short range model) says. Sounds a bit too high for Albany IMO.. NWS Albany says around 16 inches which is what I'm thinking.

This is one of those storms where Its so widespread its virtually impossible to get every area correct.

Winter Storm Graphics

Old 02-06-2013, 06:46 PM

6 posts, read 8,241 times
Thanks! I figured as much and just want to make sure that we're getting decent snowfall since I'm already cancelling my plans for that afternoon/evening

Old 02-06-2013, 06:47 PM

Current water vapor showing the 2 Jet Streams very well and VERY moist.

How fast they meet and where they meet will say who gets what. Is there a chance nobody gets more than 6 inches? Sure.. very low chance at this point but we all know weather,.

Old 02-06-2013, 06:58 PM

18,677 posts, read 16,447,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Current water vapor showing the 2 Jet Streams very well and VERY moist.

How fast they meet and where they meet will say who gets what. Is there a chance nobody gets more than 6 inches? Sure.. very low chance at this point but we all know weather,.
Your analysis never cease to amaze me. I've got relatives in Milford, Stratford, & Bridgeport, so I am interested, and it appears this could be a monster.

Old 02-06-2013, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
Your analysis never cease to amaze me. I've got relatives in Milford, Stratford, & Bridgeport, so I am interested, and it appears this could be a monster.
Thanks. Its easy when you have the links and tools to watch it unfold. I guess knowledge helps too which I'm still learning.

I'll be working in the morning so tonights models will probably be the last I look at. Tomorrow is just looking at the maps and watching the storms come together. But feel free to mention or post model stuff. Always good to see.

NAM coming out now.
GFS at 10pm
EURO 1am

Old 02-06-2013, 07:08 PM

Current Watches should become warnings tomorrow and blizzard watches extended as well.

Notice the flood watch.. This is a Nor'Easter so coastal flooding is possible.

http://mapcenter.hamweather.com/warn...640x480&b=flat

Old 02-06-2013, 07:20 PM

8,833 posts, read 14,243,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
WFSB has named the storm Charlotte. I think they name most if not all significant snowstorms.

Winter storm watches posted in advance of 'Charlotte' - WFSB 3 Connecticut
I forgot, WFSB names snowstorms too (only other outlet I know of is the NWS in Buffalo actually does name major snowstorms there).

By the way....

'Blockbuster' storm or light dusting? Forecasts vary for late-week Nor'easter - U.S. News

My wife found this on the NBC CT FB page:

Last edited by 7 Wishes; 02-06-2013 at 07:46 PM..

Old 02-06-2013, 08:12 PM

NWS Boston has strong wording including Thunder and pure whiteout conditions .. I will bold a few things.. If you have discussion from elsewhere I would love to see what they are saying.

National Weather Service Text Product Display

THIS LOW WILL UNDERGO EXPLOSIVE DEVELOPMENT AS IT TRACKS NEAR THE BENCHMARK LATE FRIDAY INTO
SATURDAY MORNING. IN ADDITION...A STRONG HIGH OVER EASTERN CANADA WILL BE SUPPLYING THE COLD AIR WHICH HAS BEEN A MISSING FEATURE IN MANY STORMS SO FAR THIS YEAR. THE SPOTTY LIGHT SNOW FRIDAY MORNING WILL BECOME STEADY FRIDAY AFTERNOON AND INCREASE IN INTENSITY. THE BIGGEST UNCERTAINTY IS HOW FAR THE RAIN/SNOW LINE TEMPORARILY ADVANCES NORTHWARD. WE ARE PRETTY SURE THE CAPE/ISLANDS WILL CHANGE TO RAIN AND PERHAPS FOR A BRIEF PERIOD NEAR THE SOUTH COAST. ITS POSSIBLE THAT THE RAIN/SNOW LINE MAKES IT INTO RHODE ISLAND/SOUTHEAST MA IF THE LATEST NAM/SREFS ARE CORRECT.

THE MAIN SHOW LOOKS TO BE FRIDAY NIGHT INTO SATURDAY MORNING AS THE LOW BOMBS OUT AND TRACKS NEAR THE BENCHMARK. MID LEVEL CENTERS RAPIDLY CLOSE OFF WHICH WILL LEAD TO TREMENDOUS SNOWFALL RATES AND PERHAPS EVEN SOME THUNDER ACCOMPANYING THE STORM. WOULD EXPECT HOURLY SNOWFALL RATES ON THE ORDER OF 2 TO 3 INCHES PER HOUR WITH A TREMENDOUS COLD CONVEYER BELT ON THE BACKSIDE OF THIS SYSTEM. IN ADDITION...VERY STRONG WINDS OF 50 TO 60 MPH WILL BE BATTERING THE COASTAL PLAIN LEADING TO CONSIDERABLE BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW. WE MENTIONED THAT CLIMATOLOGY WOULD FAVOR THE I-95 CORRIDOR AND AREAS A BIT NORTHWEST OF THAT REGION TO RECEIVE THE HIGHEST SNOW TOTALS. HOWEVER...THERE WILL BE A MID LEVEL DEFORMATION ZONE THAT SETS UP ACROSS THE INTERIOR ON THE BACK BENT MID LEVEL WARM FRONT. WHERE EXACTLY THAT SETS UP WILL COME DOWN TO THE MESOSCALE ENVIRONMENT SO ITS IMPOSSIBLE TO PINPOINT AT THIS TIME. THAT IS WHY WE ARE LOOKING AT 1 TO 2 FEET OF SNOW ACROSS A GOOD CHUNK OF THE REGION...EXCEPT NEAR THE SOUTH COAST.

TRAVEL MAY BECOME ALMOST IMPOSSIBLE WITH BLIZZARD CONDITIONS POSSIBLE. A BLIZZARD WATCH HAS BEEN POSTED ACROSS MUCH OF EASTERN MA INTO NORTHERN AND CENTRAL RHODE ISLAND. THIS BLIZZARD WATCH INCLUDES THE BOSTON TO PROVIDENCE CORRIDOR...GIVEN THE POTENTIAL FOR 50 TO 60 MPH WINDS AND CONSIDERABLE BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW

Old 02-07-2013, 03:44 AM

Yup... We got ourselves a memorable blizzard. Get what you need today, there might be power outages with 50-60 mph wind gusts and feet of snow.

*Blizzard Watch* Extended into CT.... Hartford, Middlesex, New Haven, New London, Tolland, & Windham counties.

All of Rhode Island

In MA Barnstable, Bristol, Dukes, Essex, Middlesex, Nantucket, Norfolk, Plymouth, Suffolk, & Worcester counties

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut