Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2013, 08:52 AM

21,620 posts, read 31,207,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
That's the 10%. I used the state as a whole getting 1-3 feet. 90% were driveable (not fully clean) but the 10% was the area that got 3 feet. I believe it was 10% of the state.
Gotcha. Because I would say that 75% of the roads were not driveable until Sunday if you drew a line from Fairfield to Oxford out to Durham to Madison.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2013, 02:51 PM

1,348 posts, read 3,099,314 times
I feel as though CT did a sub standard job of clearing the streets. The Springfield area had just as much snow as the Hartford area and it was business as usual by Tuesday. The Boston and Providence areas were pounded and was back to business as usual by Wednesday. I feel as though CT does not deal well with weather related emergencies, The track record since Irene has just been abysmal.

Old 02-14-2013, 03:50 PM

1,351 posts, read 2,692,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by western mass and love it View Post
I feel as though CT did a sub standard job of clearing the streets. The Springfield area had just as much snow as the Hartford area and it was business as usual by Tuesday. The Boston and Providence areas were pounded and was back to business as usual by Wednesday. I feel as though CT does not deal well with weather related emergencies, The track record since Irene has just been abysmal.
it was my impression that people were back at work here (CT) by Tues as well - at least a lot of people drove their cars out during the day including me. and thanx to the warm temps, a lot of snow has melted since Mon making the roads that much clearer. i thought we did pretty well.

Old 02-14-2013, 07:25 PM

83,516 posts, read 75,307,397 times
I worked in New Haven, CT today and WOW! 1 week later and I saw machines moving snow, people shoveling, huge piles, cars parked in driving lanes & some sidewalks covered.

This is just 20 minutes up the line from me where the grass is showing in spots now after almost 2 feet fell.

When you drive around especially a week later, you get that sinking feeling like, wow what happened here.

Old 02-14-2013, 07:55 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,423,774 times
Quote:
I agree with you.

Old 02-15-2013, 04:08 AM

1,320 posts, read 3,702,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
You guys are right, we did bounce back pretty quick.. I remember around the same date 3 yrs ago Baltimore area got the same amount of 2-3 feet and even up to 4 feet in spots and they took weeks to bounce back. That was the one labeled Snowmageddon. People were without heat for weeks, pipes froze, roads not plowed, ect. I think CT can handle snows up to 3 feet easily. 90% of Roads were fine(driveable) the next day.

And notice something else.... 1 foot in the fall with leaves = devastation. But 3 feet in the winter only disrupted a few areas. Leaves make a big difference.
Leaves on trees with snow- the worst! Buffalo 2006 got a heavy snow at the end of October. Brought many trees down. I lived there and lost power for a week. Really bad situation.

Old 02-15-2013, 05:25 AM

11,298 posts, read 18,888,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdcdguy View Post
Leaves on trees with snow- the worst! Buffalo 2006 got a heavy snow at the end of October. Brought many trees down. I lived there and lost power for a week. Really bad situation.
I remember my sister (who lives near Buffalo) telling me stories about that. Even for them they considered that a monster snowstorm.

Does anyone remember October 4, 1987? About 6" of wet heavy snow but because of the leaves did a similar thing from about the NY portion of I-84 up to and a bit past the Albany area (that was during my 4-5 years living up there). I think in CT it affected from about Danbury up into Litchfield County and it also affected western Mass. and southern VT. Even Bridgeport got 0.5" for its earliest in the season measurable snowfall.

Old 02-15-2013, 06:24 AM

3,484 posts, read 9,421,006 times
Quote:
I work/live in greater Hartford and both my husband and I were back to work Monday. I know many of the bigger employers did a delay Monday or stayed home (Aetna, the state, etc.) but by Tuesday it was business as usual. I don't know anyone other than schools/educators who weren't back at work Tuesday. I am not saying CT DOT or the cities did a bang up job but the situation wasn't quite as dire as posted above.

Old 02-15-2013, 06:27 AM

21,620 posts, read 31,207,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mels View Post
I work/live in greater Hartford and both my husband and I were back to work Monday. I know many of the bigger employers did a delay Monday or stayed home (Aetna, the state, etc.) but by Tuesday it was business as usual. I don't know anyone other than schools/educators who weren't back at work Tuesday. I am not saying CT DOT or the cities did a bang up job but the situation wasn't quite as dire as posted above.
I agree. It wasn't that bad. A friend of mine works for Aetna and though she said there were traffic nightmares due to snow removal this past week, I'm pretty sure she said they were back at work on Tuesday. She was actually surprised they closed Monday.

Old 02-15-2013, 06:47 AM

3,350 posts, read 4,168,858 times
Quote:
I actually don't agree on an overall basis- but there were towns that struggled for either financial reasons or were just overwhelmed by a freakish amount of snow that far exceeded forecasts. My mother in law drove down Monday from the epicenter (Wallingford) to enjoy the kids in the snow and had no issues. Pretty impressive given the 40" of snow!

I'll also say that Springfield did not receive that much snow--- on par with Wilton-Danbury and we were actually back in business by Saturday afternoon. In fact we headed out to Target around 3pm Saturday not realizing the ban on roads was still in place (although not enforced). That said, the ban was lifted around 4pm so all you law abiding non-speeders (sorry for the cross post humor), don't have to concern yourself with our actions. Secret to this system was increasing vigilance in removing snow from 10pm through 3am. In some places that wasn't possible due to the rate, but by and large homeowners and towns that stayed out blowing and plowing had no lingering impact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut