U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2013, 03:35 PM

10,372 posts, read 7,285,561 times

Advertisements

Bad News for Fairfield County

Cablevision might drop WFSB (Channel 3)

Southwestern Connecticut Cablevision customers could lose Connecticut’s CBS affiliate by 2014.
WFSB-TV announced Thursday morning, Dec. 26, that it has been unable to reach a new agreement with the most used cable company in southwestern Connecticut. The current agreement expires on Dec. 31, at midnight.
WFSB, broadcast on Channel 3, is based out of Hartford and is owned by the Meredith Corp. The company announced last decade that it planned to increase its Fairfield County news coverage after centering much of its coverage in and around the Hartford-New Haven area. But that coverage has mainly been in alternate infomercials simulcast on an alternate Channel 3 in this area.
Cablevision’s Optimum TV service does carry New York’s WCBS-TV, which is owned by CBS, and offers much of the same programming in high definition. That network came to terms with Cablevision in September 2012. Cablevision said that 80% of its subscribers will continued to receive WCBS.
“Cablevision has already agreed to pay for carriage of WFSB Channel 3 in parts of Litchfield and New Haven Counties, where it is the local CBS channel,” Kelly McAndrew, a Cablevision spokesman, told Hersam Acorn Newspapers. “In an unprecedented move, the owners of WFSB Channel 3 are now threatening to punish viewers in parts of central Litchfield and three towns in New Haven County by blacking out CBS programming unless Cablevision agrees to pay for two different CBS channels in Fairfield County.

Cablevision might drop WFSB (Channel 3) | Fairfield-Sun.com

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2013, 04:53 PM

8,780 posts, read 16,274,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
Bad News for Fairfield County

Cablevision might drop WFSB (Channel 3)

Southwestern Connecticut Cablevision customers could lose Connecticut’s CBS affiliate by 2014.
WFSB-TV announced Thursday morning, Dec. 26, that it has been unable to reach a new agreement with the most used cable company in southwestern Connecticut. The current agreement expires on Dec. 31, at midnight.
WFSB, broadcast on Channel 3, is based out of Hartford and is owned by the Meredith Corp. The company announced last decade that it planned to increase its Fairfield County news coverage after centering much of its coverage in and around the Hartford-New Haven area. But that coverage has mainly been in alternate infomercials simulcast on an alternate Channel 3 in this area.
Cablevision’s Optimum TV service does carry New York’s WCBS-TV, which is owned by CBS, and offers much of the same programming in high definition. That network came to terms with Cablevision in September 2012. Cablevision said that 80% of its subscribers will continued to receive WCBS.
“Cablevision has already agreed to pay for carriage of WFSB Channel 3 in parts of Litchfield and New Haven Counties, where it is the local CBS channel,” Kelly McAndrew, a Cablevision spokesman, told Hersam Acorn Newspapers. “In an unprecedented move, the owners of WFSB Channel 3 are now threatening to punish viewers in parts of central Litchfield and three towns in New Haven County by blacking out CBS programming unless Cablevision agrees to pay for two different CBS channels in Fairfield County.
Cablevision might drop WFSB (Channel 3) | Fairfield-Sun.com
If they drop WFSB, i'll be dropping them. It was bad enough losing Fox61. WFSB, like Fox61, airs football games that the NY affiliates don't.

Old 12-26-2013, 05:34 PM

They wante Fairfield County to be NY so bad

Old 12-26-2013, 06:07 PM

86 posts, read 107,842 times
Fairfield County IS part of the NYC tri-state area and the NYC television market. Most of FFC is closer to NYC than it is to Hartford. NYC stations have stronger signals in FFC than Hartford stations do. Only Channel 8 has a strong signal in FFC, and that's because it comes from much closer New Haven. Sorry, but despite Channel 3's past slogan that they're "Everywhere in Connecticut," one visit to the FCC's website will refute their claim.

Don't get me wrong...I always liked Channel 3's news the best and always watched it when I went to UConn (class of 2001). But they're not a superstation and CT is a lot bigger than it looks on a map. The average TV station cannot cover a whole state, unless maybe it's Rhode Island, which is 1/3 the size of Connecticut.

Old 12-26-2013, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man About Town View Post
Fairfield County IS part of the NYC tri-state area and the NYC television market. Most of FFC is closer to NYC than it is to Hartford. NYC stations have stronger signals in FFC than Hartford stations do. Only Channel 8 has a strong signal in FFC, and that's because it comes from much closer New Haven. Sorry, but despite Channel 3's past slogan that they're "Everywhere in Connecticut," one visit to the FCC's website will refute their claim.

Don't get me wrong...I always liked Channel 3's news the best and always watched it when I went to UConn (class of 2001). But they're not a superstation and CT is a lot bigger than it looks on a map. The average TV station cannot cover a whole state, unless maybe it's Rhode Island, which is 1/3 the size of Connecticut.
News12CT is proably the worst

Old 12-26-2013, 07:29 PM

2,005 posts, read 1,373,090 times
What towns would this affect in Litchfield and New Haven County?

Old 12-26-2013, 07:31 PM

2,893 posts, read 2,971,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Man About Town View Post

I go out of my way to watch CT affiliates since NYC networks give zero coverage to CT including FFC. I live in CT so I expect and demand CT news. I'd also like to know what "ransom" Wfsb is requesting. if all of this politicking is over a quarter a month I'll take my businesses elsewhere and wont look back. Subscribers aren't loyal to cable companies (despite what they believe)- I could care less what pipe delivers the content.

Old 12-27-2013, 10:58 AM

24,669 posts, read 40,244,780 times
Cablevision is the worst cable company I know of. I ALWAYS hear people who have complain about the service and the constant changes they make to their service. I know many that have changed to ATT because of this and the ones that have not can't because their service is not available on their street. I think they will just lose more customers. It may be time for towns to reconsider their franchise agreement. Jay

Old 12-27-2013, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
Cablevision is the worst cable company I know of. I ALWAYS hear people who have complain about the service and the constant changes they make to their service. I know many that have changed to ATT because of this and the ones that have not can't because their service is not available on their street. I think they will just lose more customers. It may be time for towns to reconsider their franchise agreement. Jay

ATT Interent is not as as Optimum that the downside

Old 12-27-2013, 01:32 PM

1,063 posts, read 1,048,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPt111 View Post
ATT Interent is not as as Optimum that the downside

You accidentally a word here.

If you mean as fast as, U-Verse is comparable to Optimum. Problem is, U-Verse isn't available everywhere. And worse, if it's not available in your area, they constantly send you advertisements for Dish Network, which is awful.

I haven't watched any of their TV broadcasts in quite some time, but I find WTNH's website to be the least offensive. WFSB hasn't updated theirs in what feels like 10 years, and it shows...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut