U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2013, 10:42 AM

399 posts, read 630,238 times

Advertisements

I do the Fairfield to GC commute daily, and yes, I had to live close to the station for me to pull the trigger. But there isn't much of a time diff between Westport and Fairfield, that was my only point.

If my budget was $850, I'd be in Greenwhich as well though.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2013, 10:45 AM

12 posts, read 38,267 times
Thanks everyone for the responses! To add a little more: We're not commuting to nyc fulltime. Maybe 2-3 days a week. We're actually thrilled with the houses in Westport, and just want to know a little more about the community. All of this feedback is super helpful.

@Stylo - what do you mean by FCC? Sorry, not familiar with the acronyms!

Old 02-07-2013, 10:48 AM

1,183 posts, read 1,287,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by househunter23 View Post
@Stylo - what do you mean by FCC? Sorry, not familiar with the acronyms!
FFC = Fairfield County. On this forum many people use that to distiginish Fairfield (municipality) to Fairfield County (of which there is no government of). Good Luck!

Old 02-07-2013, 10:48 AM

14,740 posts, read 17,977,138 times
FFC = Fairfield County

If you're concerned about snootiness and want to get the most house for your money, check out Fairfield. There's no reason to spend more in Westport if you're not commuting daily. Fairfield is a wonderful community, a bit more economically diverse, tons of restaurants and activity, etc. The Greenfield Hill and Southport areas are some of the most beautiful in the state. As has been said, it's just a few more minutes on the train. And IMO the town center is just as pretty and the beaches are better.

Old 02-07-2013, 10:50 AM

399 posts, read 630,238 times
Then you can't go wrong with Westport, it's a lovely community. Good luck with the house shopping.

p.s. check out the furniture consignment shop across the street from Willows Pediatric for furniture, etc. They have amazing antique-y items there for much cheaper than you'd expect to pay (half the price of what it'd be at Brooklyn Flea or something like that). Also, Willows is great pediatrician for your little one.

Old 02-07-2013, 04:51 PM

5 posts, read 5,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
FFC = Fairfield County

If you're concerned about snootiness and want to get the most house for your money, check out Fairfield. There's no reason to spend more in Westport if you're not commuting daily. Fairfield is a wonderful community, a bit more economically diverse, tons of restaurants and activity, etc. The Greenfield Hill and Southport areas are some of the most beautiful in the state. As has been said, it's just a few more minutes on the train. And IMO the town center is just as pretty and the beaches are better.
Since Greenfield Hill abuts the Hunt Club and Coleytown areas of Westport, I am wondering what everyone thinks about the two neighborhoods. Why one over the other -- what are the differences?

Old 02-07-2013, 08:17 PM

14,740 posts, read 17,977,138 times
Not a huge difference between those areas, but the towns as a whole are different. I have an art/marketing background and am a musician and I'd personally feel more at home in Fairfield.

Old 02-07-2013, 08:19 PM

206 posts, read 331,663 times
Lived in Westport for 25 years. Just sold our house for $900K. We were by no means looked down on, nor were we the "poorest" of our friends. We loved the town. The schools, of course, are unsurpassed. I can't speak to the other towns that others have mentioned, other than the shopping.

Old 02-07-2013, 11:17 PM

24,615 posts, read 40,196,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
FFC = Fairfield County

Actually I think Southport is the most stunning place in Connecticut (and that is saying a lot). Greenfield Hill is not far behind. Jay

Old 02-08-2013, 04:37 AM

14 posts, read 13,058 times
Yes, Westport is a beautiful town with many things to do. But do yourself a favor and look next door at Fairfield. In my opinion, people are much more down to earth, schools are great, jst as quick commute to NYC, more house for your money, although not cheap by any means, and even though roughly twice the population as Westport, it's got much more of a small town feel than Westport.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut