U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 04:39 AM

14 posts, read 13,183 times

Advertisements

one other thing. as someone previously said, the Southport area, right on the Sound, is one of the prettiest areas in all of Fairfield. And yes, the Greenfield Hill area is outstanding. $850k should get you something great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2013, 04:06 PM

8,950 posts, read 9,893,485 times
I recommend Westport highly.

There are snooty people in Westport. And in Fairfield. And in Trumbull. Fairfield is a great town, and I certainly would live there, however I think Westport offers a strong quality of life, great shopping, decent dining and convenience. For all the talking about Westport's "snootyness" and money, for every person who reeks of wealth, I can find 2 or 3 people who are just normal folks cheering on their kids at the soccer game, or hanging out at Mario's after taking the train home. Maybe because I grew up here (partially) but I have always felt very comfortable in town.

My partner and I live in a 500K condo-- one of the least expensive on the MLS when we purchased-- and we feel just as comfortable going to a dinner party at our friends beachside estate, or having them eat in our cramped dining room. We've never felt judged for being gay, or being more "middle class." I wear jeans and a hoodie most of the time, and my partner wears Versacci-- I don't think anybody cares.

This town has an active arts scene-- the Westport Arts Center has some excellent programs and events and library has equally excellent programs.

The schools are among the best in the country and Staples High School continues to provide opportunities that simply aren't found elsewhere.

Again, Fairfield is a GREAT town and deserves serious consideration. You'll find a better family restaurant scene, more shopping and you'll get more bang for your buck as far as housing-- but for us Westport simply can't be beat.

Wherever you go, you'll likely find happiness. Don't sweat it!

Old 02-08-2013, 04:14 PM

14,870 posts, read 18,190,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
You'll find a better family restaurant scene
I wouldn't relegate it to just family. There are FAR more casual eating options in Fairfield, plus the nightlife scene is better since there's 2 colleges nearby and downtown flows in Black Rock.

Old 02-08-2013, 07:17 PM

8,950 posts, read 9,893,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
I wouldn't relegate it to just family. There are FAR more casual eating options in Fairfield, plus the nightlife scene is better since there's 2 colleges nearby and downtown flows in Black Rock.
Agreed. Unfortunately too many of the restaurants in Westport are high end and expensive... But no one moves to Westport is looking for "nightlife"

Old 02-09-2013, 01:17 PM

14,870 posts, read 18,190,047 times
That is true!

Old 02-11-2013, 07:49 AM

12 posts, read 38,627 times
Thank everyone. Your feedback is very helpful!

Old 02-11-2013, 01:27 PM

5 posts, read 5,057 times
Default Either town is great

The thing about living in either Westport or Fairfield is that they are right next to each other. Therefore, you can spend time in both towns. It is well known that Westport has among the highest rated school systems in the state. Westport has a more rural feel.

It's kind of a no lose proposition. Westport and Fairifeld are both great towns and it will come down to which town suits your lifestryle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut