U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 08:27 AM

12 posts, read 38,219 times

Advertisements

Hi,

My husband and I have been looking around westchester for a house, but with the taxes being so high there, we've have had our eye on Westport and are now starting to consider it more seriously. The houses seem much nicer for the price. The town looks so pretty and I love that the beach is nearby.

However, I'm wondering if we'd fit in there. We're looking to spend up to 850. We're both creative, low-key types who've lived in the east village and brooklyn (my husband is a musician, I'm an art director). We've got a 2 year old. At that price range, we don't want to be the poorest ones on the block. I know Westport is an affluent town, and that's great, but would it be too stuffy and snobby for us? Feel free to be honest!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2013, 08:41 AM

15,742 posts, read 22,004,068 times
I don't think people in Westport care how much money you have - as long as you're a decent person and don't judge them for having loads of it.

Worry less about fitting in and more about liking the community and what it offers, and if it's worth it to sacrifice square footage to live there over, say, Wilton or Fairfield.

Old 02-07-2013, 08:51 AM

2,710 posts, read 2,481,604 times
You will be fine. I agree with Kid that 850 will go farther in some of the surrounding towns, especially if you don't need to commute to the city. But if you are happy with Westport, you should go for it.

Old 02-07-2013, 08:56 AM

399 posts, read 629,427 times
I agree with kidyankee764, but you also might want to give Fairfield a(nother) look. We moved up last year from Brooklyn. We first looked in Westport but found we could get so much more in Fairfield and wouldn't have to be the poorest folks in the hood. If you choose Westport , I don't think you'll be looked down upon, etc - we've the people there as a whole
to be just as welcoming and friendly as those across Fairfield county.

I have a great broker, mortgage broker, lawyer, and insurance guy if you need too. Good luck.

Old 02-07-2013, 08:59 AM

One thing I'll add though, is that the NYC commute is basically the same for Westport and Fairfield. Fairfield's 10 min further on the local, but with the express trains it's basically a wash (another reason we chose Fairfield).

Old 02-07-2013, 09:07 AM

14,723 posts, read 17,955,593 times
I've worked in Westport for 5 years and do find some people to be snooty. I'd be lying if I said that element wasn't strong here. You won't be looked down on though, there's just that "real housewives of Westport" element going on and people definitely care about appearances. To say otherwise with all the ostentatious mansions would be misleading. Not everyone is showy though, and you won't be the only upper middle class citizens of Westport. It's a pretty exceptional place to live otherwise, if you're working in NYC there's probably no better option in CT for your budget (maybe Greenwich or Wilton).

If you're not working in NYC, my money would go to Fairfield. You get more for your money and it's more down to earth.

There's actually a lot of art director opportunities in/around FFC.

Old 02-07-2013, 09:21 AM

It's only another 5 min of travel time on the rush hour trains (because they run express from Stamford right to Fairfield) on the way home and maybe 5-10 min on the way in, and the Fairfield trains are more frequent, I think. Our budget was under $850k, so the time diff wasn't worth it at all.

Old 02-07-2013, 09:27 AM

I don't think the OP said anything about a NYC commute, but *if* that is the case, they should get ready for many very long and draining weeks ahead of them. Fairfield and Westport are a little convenient if (and only if) you live close to the station and work close to GCT. Even then, I don't think I'd do it.

Old 02-07-2013, 09:29 AM

14,723 posts, read 17,955,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I don't think the OP said anything about a NYC commute, but *if* that is the case, they should get ready for many very long and draining weeks ahead of them. Fairfield and Westport are a little convenient if (and only if) you live close to the station and work close to GCT.
Yeah, at $850k and an NYC commute - I'd be all over Greenwich.

Old 02-07-2013, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
I'd be all over Greenwich.
Me too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut