U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2013, 07:37 AM

277 posts, read 807,815 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone,
I got placed at Stamford Hospital for a medical school rotation. My housing assignment is on Wright St just behind the hospital. Since I'm from Hartford, I have little familiarity with the area. Can anyone comment on the safety as well as the fun things to do in the area? I'm particularly interested in a gym, cafes, restaurants, etc. as well as the easiest way to get to/park/pay for Metro North.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2013, 10:07 AM

4,771 posts, read 7,490,512 times
Compared to the rough areas of Hartford, you will find the area around The Stamford Hospital to be quite tame. Its not really a dangerous area, despite being among the most crime ridden neighborhoods in the city. Also, the public housing project right next to the hospital (and was the source of much of the problem people for the area) is currently vacated and in the process of being demolished, with a building or two already destroyed. The hospital itself sits right at the border between the urban and the suburban parts of the city. You will notice a marked difference in the residential properties and the socioeconomic class level just north of the hosptial vs south of it.

Downtown is just down the hill and that takes care of your cafe's/restaurants/things to do list. Also, not too far away is Stillwater Avenue with plenty of restaurants and other types of businesses. Pellici's is one of the most prestigious and oldest family run Italian restaurant in Stamford and is located on Stillwater. You should check it out.

Traveling between the train station and the hospital is quite easy and straight forward. From the train station, simply go north on Washington Boulevard until you reach the intersection with Broad Street/West Broad Street (where UConn and the Trump Parc buildings are located.) Turn left on the traffic light and once on top of the hill, the hospital will be to your left.

Old 02-08-2013, 03:28 PM

8,780 posts, read 16,240,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bomgd3 View Post
Hey everyone,
I got placed at Stamford Hospital for a medical school rotation. My housing assignment is on Wright St just behind the hospital.
There are absolutely no "professionals" on that street.

Just across the street from the hospital(north of West Broad) would be where i would focus on. Bridge Street/Cold Spring Rd./Riverside and Windsor Ave's. should have rentals.

Everything south of West Broad next to or behind the hospital is.................. not where a professional would be.

Old 02-17-2013, 09:59 AM

8,780 posts, read 16,240,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
There are absolutely no "professionals" on that street.

Just across the street from the hospital(north of West Broad) would be where i would focus on. Bridge Street/Cold Spring Rd./Riverside and Windsor Ave's. should have rentals.

Everything south of West Broad next to or behind the hospital is.................. not where a professional would be.
BTW, this incident happened on Stephen Street, which is next to Wright.

Old 02-25-2013, 10:07 PM

277 posts, read 807,815 times
Thanks for your input everyone. I didn't have a choice of where to live as this is where the hospital put me. The neighborhood feels safe enough but there's a lot of garbage strewn across the street and it's overall not very nice. It's better than the vast majority of Hartford neighborhoods, though.

The one thing about Stamford, and FFC in general--THE TRAFFIC! My god!

And one more question: Is there a way to park safely near the train station for free/very cheap? With fares so high and parking an issue, I haven't even visited NYC yet.

Old 02-26-2013, 03:57 PM

10,319 posts, read 7,225,131 times
On Yahoo Stamford was ranked of most richest cities

Old 02-26-2013, 04:31 PM

4,771 posts, read 7,490,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bomgd3 View Post
Thanks for your input everyone. I didn't have a choice of where to live as this is where the hospital put me. The neighborhood feels safe enough but there's a lot of garbage strewn across the street and it's overall not very nice. It's better than the vast majority of Hartford neighborhoods, though.
The city has gotten a little dirty this winter. Things will be cleaner once spring gets here and the city sends out their sweeping machines.

Quote:
The one thing about Stamford, and FFC in general--THE TRAFFIC! My god!
You'll get used to it.

Quote:
And one more question: Is there a way to park safely near the train station for free/very cheap? With fares so high and parking an issue, I haven't even visited NYC yet.
I have left my car on Manhattan Street quite a few times with no problems. I have a luxury car, so that could give you an idea on how safe the area is.

I have never left my car over night there, so can't comment on my perceived risks at night; but, during the day it shouldn't be an issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut