Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 11:37 AM

34,679 posts, read 56,455,731 times

Advertisements

A new article on CNN says what we all pretty much know or suspected already, that Fairfield County has the highest percentage of rich people in the country. I thought it was interesting particularly considering all the negative posts that we get here on the Connecticut Board. Jay

Where the rich people live - Feb. 12, 2013
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2013, 11:43 AM

21,540 posts, read 30,956,091 times
I saw this on Twitter last night. I'm not at all surprised.

Old 02-12-2013, 11:51 AM

1,058 posts, read 1,259,323 times
washington post breaks it down by county which i think is a better measure.

Where the nation's highest earners live - The Washington Post

Old 02-12-2013, 11:55 AM

21,540 posts, read 30,956,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mufc1878 View Post

I think just the opposite. There are parts of a county that are not necessarily part of the MSA being studied. Take Sherman in Fairfield County for example. It's at least an hour drive and culturally and socioeconomically very different than the rest of the county.

Old 02-12-2013, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I think just the opposite. There are parts of a county that are not necessarily part of the MSA being studied. Take Sherman in Fairfield County for example. It's at least an hour drive and culturally and socioeconomically very different than the rest of the county.
the msa version has larger population differential between msa's in absolute terms which makes it a poorer comparison IMO.

regardless, at the end of the day from a county and a msa standpoint the general consensus is something that we already know....fairfield county and its respective msa is one of the most wealthy parts of the country.

Old 02-12-2013, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT View Post
A new article on CNN says what we all pretty much know or suspected already, that Fairfield County has the highest percentage of rich people in the country. I thought it was interesting particularly considering all the negative posts that we get here on the Connecticut Board. Jay

Where the rich people live - Feb. 12, 2013
it seems some of the gripe stems from the fact that fairfield ct has some of the worst income/wealth inequality in the country:

Two sides of Connecticut's economic divide reveal price of inequality

In Connecticut, Two Sides Of A Deep Economic Divide : NPR

Old 02-12-2013, 12:36 PM

3,346 posts, read 4,132,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mufc1878 View Post

Not a fair comparison. DC suburbs have no urban areas and a very homogeneous populace. I also see far less of the bulge bracket in DC, just two well educated, working parents making $100-200m per year. It's also loaded with gov't contractors and gov't employees that make a very respectable living off of everyone else.

Old 02-12-2013, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilton2ParkAve View Post
Not a fair comparison. DC suburbs have no urban areas and a very homogeneous populace. I also see far less of the bulge bracket in DC, just two well educated, working parents making $100-200m per year. It's also loaded with gov't contractors and gov't employees that make a very respectable living off of everyone else.
i agree that dc's wealth is wrong and artificially generated on the backs of the citizenry.

But the 'bulge bracket' you speak of is not really a healthy thing (i.e. income disparity).

Old 02-12-2013, 04:32 PM

9,810 posts, read 14,658,235 times
Not a surprise at all. I bet Bridgeport probably has the least number of wealthy people in the area, Greenwich probably has the most in absolute terms and perhaps New Canaan on a per capita level.

I haven't read the article yet, just guessing.

Old 02-12-2013, 04:49 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,845,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
The Bridgeport-Stamford-Norwalk MSA is exactly equivalent to the area of Fairfield County. Sherman, therefore, is part of the Bridgeport-Stamford-Norwalk MSA.

MSA's are comprised of one or more counties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut