U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2013, 12:15 PM

1,205 posts, read 2,051,140 times

Advertisements

sorry for asking this again, I just want to make sure I have everything.

car is currently New Jersey registered. it is titled in my dad's name but I want to register it in CT with my name.

I have:
Bill of Sale
NJ title
application for registration

birth certificate
SS card (i think I need these two to get a CT license)

I think I still need to get an emissions test, right?

do I need anything else?
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2013, 01:04 PM

13,258 posts, read 34,604,245 times
Is the title signed over to you, and the bill of sale one showing that you bought the car from your dad? Or is it your dad's bill of sale that he got from whoever sold it to him?

If the car is registered to your dad, and the title is in his name, and the title is -not- signed over to you, and the bill of sale is his and not yours, then you can't register the car in Connecticut because it isn't legally yours.

You also need proof of insurance, as far as I know. You should visit the Department of Motor Vehicles website, there's a list of everything you need, in order to register and out-of-state vehicle in CT.

Old 02-10-2013, 01:13 PM

7 posts, read 18,666 times
Sounds like you don't have CT license either? If so, you'll need to go through that process first and then you can register the car.

There is a list of documents that you'll need including proof of address. More info here: http://www.ct.gov/dmv/cwp/view.asp?a=805&q=244776

You'll need proof of insurance in your name, and you'll also need a VIN verification due to out of state title and possibly emissions check based on the age of the car. If you do need an emissions check, that same person can also verify the VIN. If you don't need the emissions check, those authorized emissions stations can still due the VIN check for you.

More info here: DMV: Register Your Vehicle

Old 02-10-2013, 01:52 PM

1,205 posts, read 2,051,140 times
title is signed. He also signed a bill of sale as well. I forgot about the insurance, I have that as well.thanks for the link Phil.

Old 02-10-2013, 02:04 PM

You also have to have proof of residency - you can't register a vehicle in Connecticut if you don't live here.

Old 02-10-2013, 05:58 PM

2,382 posts, read 6,073,907 times
Thank you for information which I have printed out.We will use Willimantic office.Not to nice a thought of having to move back,like stepping on a hornets nest.Ct not a friendly state to do business.

Old 02-11-2013, 08:13 PM

66 posts, read 130,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil_s View Post
Sounds like you don't have CT license either? If so, you'll need to go through that process first and then you can register the car.

There is a list of documents that you'll need including proof of address. More info here: DMV: Driver's License - New Resident Requirements
and specifically this page: DMV: Acceptable Forms of Identification

This is the 3rd state in which I've been licensed/registered, and it was by far the most cumbersome process.

You need two pieces of identification, one of which basically has to be a passport or government issued birth certificate (not hospital), and

you need two pieces of computer generated mail (bills) per person. if you're single not so bad, but if you're married and tend to establish utilities in only one name, it's a big pain.

Old 02-12-2013, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philbert View Post
and specifically this page: DMV: Acceptable Forms of Identification

This is the 3rd state in which I've been licensed/registered, and it was by far the most cumbersome process.

You need two pieces of identification, one of which basically has to be a passport or government issued birth certificate (not hospital), and

you need two pieces of computer generated mail (bills) per person. if you're single not so bad, but if you're married and tend to establish utilities in only one name, it's a big pain.
Utility bills are only one of a dozen possible items you are allowed to submit as proof of residency. And they don't have to be computer generated if they've been postmarked. They can be handwritten.

Old 02-16-2013, 11:19 AM

10 posts, read 17,397 times
You'll have to get the VIN checked at the DMV first. Out of state vehicles have to have this done prior to registration. I think you can just drive through that part in Wethersfield and have it done without an appointment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Connecticut
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or